Its normal, right? RIGHT!? a noobs dready q's ....

A_Fabey

Its normal, right? RIGHT!? a noobs dready q's ....

Post by A_Fabey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:46 am

Hello! Im a newbie at synthetic dreads! I decided to make my own dreads for the first time, after seeing how amazing they are and being so jealous of lots of folks who have them! Well, I made 90 (with 2 extra) SE dreads. Just browns and blondes to start with, mostly something that matches my natural dark brown hair. well, took me a WHILE. Like ... 3 days non~stop. I had a fellow piercist put in my dreads for me 3 days ago, and man! were they HEAVY!!! I got a huge headache, but the 2nd day was a breeze. HOWEVER!! .... Dun, dun, dun ....

I feel like maybe they have loosened TOO much?? When I made them I was paranoid about them becoming unravelled, so I went over every dread numberous times (3 exactly) with the damp cloth and flat iron. They feel slightly "poofy" closer to the braid but remain tight (and slightly burnt extra crispy :roll: ) towards the bottom. should i be concerned about them unravelling? or are they simply loosening up in a "natural" way?

poxabomination

Re: Its normal, right? RIGHT!? a noobs dready q's ....

Post by poxabomination » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:19 pm

They do loosen up a bit when you sleep on them and wear them around, and especially since they're your first dreads they might not be backcombed enough.. it would help to show us a picture if you could :) But yeah, they do loosen up, its kind of inevitable with all that squishing and moving around, but they shouldn't loosen up so much that they loose their shape and unravel or look weird.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

A_Fabey

Post by A_Fabey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Oh ok! I will try and post a pic, but im new to this forum thing. but i will give it a go.

A_Fabey

Post by A_Fabey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:36 pm

it is more loose closer to the scalp than the ends. just wondering if that was a noraml occur with dreads. it still has the shape... just not as tight.

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 pm

A bit more backcombing would help that, but they won't completely unravel on you. They look very good for a first set!

A_Fabey

Post by A_Fabey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:28 pm

ok, phew, thought i was gonna have a crisis! And thank you! :D

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 pm

I've had them poof up like that too when I get too rough during my install but backcombing definitely helps. They do look lovely though. Can't wait to see you do more. I love new dreadies! Makes me smile. :D

A_Fabey

Post by A_Fabey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 am

CryptiquesBizarre wrote:I've had them poof up like that too when I get too rough during my install but backcombing definitely helps. They do look lovely though. Can't wait to see you do more. I love new dreadies! Makes me smile. :D
aww! thank you! i was havin' a freakout over em. haha.

XdeathbettyX

Post by XdeathbettyX » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:25 pm

i cannot begin to explain how happy i am for everybody who posted on this topic. I had the exact same problem and its one of the reasons i end up giving up halfway through every install i ever tried due to paranoia. I think this has given me a whole lot of confidence and its made me want to put my dreads in and KEEP THEM now!! its good to know there are people i can relate to in this world :D

pinkbeautykiller

Post by pinkbeautykiller » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:40 am

Dreads are heavy when you put them in first no matter what, they do loosen up a lot when you sleep and might take some pain away from your scalp.As for the dreads them self unraveling you would have to reseal them i obviously wouldn't recommend doing this while they are in your hair because do to the steam it could burn your scalp and i'm sure you wouldn't want that.
For newbie dreads they look pretty good(: some of them could use some more twisting and sealing possibly some more backcombing, practice makes perfect!

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:21 am

I had the same problem with my first set. It was because I was twisting them too tightly while i sealed, so the hair would slightly overlap and become lumpy/curly/puffy later on. When you seal them make sue you pull the hair in a downward motion as you go, and not so much wrapping the hair while you twist. That might help. It helped me :)

AnarchoFett

Post by AnarchoFett » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:33 pm

I have this problem with mine too as the blanket stitch keeps all the braided-over synth hair compressed and the bits beyond that eventually loosen. Tighter knotting (more backcombing) can delay this effect. They look good for a first try!
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having -V

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”