Humble Novice Fumblings! Help Help Help :P

Specter

Humble Novice Fumblings! Help Help Help :P

Post by Specter » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 am

WOW - It's been FOREVER since I've been here lol :i6:

Well, after two years of research I tried my hand at dreds! I've made several pairs (synthetic) and sealed them with a flat iron.

I don't have any money to invest this year in different sealing methods, and I'm allergic to wool, so I'm pretty limited on certain things at this point. :i10:

My real issue though is that I've been making solid colored dreds ONLY. I tried a few days ago to start doing striped dreds and transitional for the first time- It was super-epic-fail-fest. :evil:

For some reason I can't upload the photos right now :i6:

Anyway ~ My current issue is that I'm using new colors from the same brand of the same fiber and they seem... Dry, and not as good or something...

It's hard to describe but I bought some neon green fiber of the same type I've been using, and it dreded a totally different way - It was ratty and... Icky... and broken... It didn't work at all.

I'm not familiar with the "production" process of the fiber itself, but for some reason the blended colors (like brown with blonde in it) and some of the neon colors of the brand I've been using (because it's the only kind available here in town) seem to be... I dunno... "Different"...

It's the same brand - It claims to all be "100% Kanekalon", but some how, some colors melt where others are fine - Some rat fine and others do not...

Is this normal? :P

~Specter :mrgreen:

P.S. - I use metal combs, and I was using a backcombing one for a while but I think the teeth were shredding the hair pretty bad :( So far the regular one works fine, but I don't know if using metal combs help/or hinders me... Any thoughts?
"We gladly feast on those who would subdue us!" ~Addams Family Creedo

Librarynerd

Re: Humble Novice Fumblings! Help Help Help :P

Post by Librarynerd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 am

I have had the same experience. From what I have read in the "KK colors we hate" thread this in normal. It's very frustrating. I've found that I really need to adjust my backcombing style for each different color and brand. Some seem to shread if I use the same force I usually use. There is also a lot of variation in sealing temp and type of sealing used. You could try the boiling method or the kettle method, they won't cost you anything.

KK can also vary from batch to batch of the same color and brand! Keep at it and over time it will be easier to adjust your style for the KK you are using. But some KK is just crap that nobody can work with:(
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Nenedhel

Post by Nenedhel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Librarynerd summed it up pretty well actually, just practise and read the afore mentioned thread, it does help.
Midnight Orchid - custom dreads and hairpieces, corsets, accessories and clothing
Folksy
Etsy
Custom corsets for only material costs? Its true, just message me for details/ order... only on HEF, you know you want one

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:33 am

Not going to lie - I refuse to get any hair from anywhere but IKS just because a lot of places claim to sell you KK but end up sending you PP... Gross. Haha!

I'm sure that all the sellers that hang out on hair extension forum probably sell the good stuff. All of the silky "special color" kk can be a bit of a bitch, but I've never used silky, so I haven't had that problem. The Special Color stuff just needs to be sealed more... Have you looked at (I know I keep going back to this, but) Rivetlicker's backcombing tutorial? If it ends up ratty even when you follow her methods (I actually REALLY like mentalshiver's youtube videos on how to make dreads, both her backcombing and her sealing), you might just be working with not-so-good hair.

That being said, there's a bunch of 100% KK fiber that... heh.. kind of sucks. I don't think you're alone. Some people just work well with every type of kanekalon, and that's because they're awesome and experienced. :\ lame, right?

Love,

Drunk Mandi. :\
Last edited by mandikat on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:05 am

Oh god, that silky kikko brand KK is terrible to work with! The dreads end up a lot heavier.

I buy my KK from mostly cypherlox, she carries Anytime/Modu, BnG and Janet hair. I've also used many other brands too.

Anytime - ok to work with, used to be the bees knees, but some batches have been murder to work with. Lately their whites have had terrible shine to it, but they seal ok.
BnG - brittle, very average to work with and short (Cypher hates it too lol).
Janet - Good texture, but sometimes batches vary. I think this is one of the better brands.
Zury - Average
Bobbi Boss - Average (I've only used the black).
Kikko - Nightmare and a half, but have beautiful colours.
BH Silky - Average but depends on what colour.

Good example of varying brands.
Top to bottom: Kikko Silky, Anytime Snow White (shiny batch), BH Silky.

Modu Silky. Was easy to work with.

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”