Help with installs for afro-caribbean hair?

rainbowbanana

Help with installs for afro-caribbean hair?

Post by rainbowbanana » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm

hi~! well, i have a bit of a problem. i have reeeaaallly curly and thick afro-caribbean hair that's about 2 1/2 inches long. im not sure how i should do my installs for some de dreads. they just keep coming off when i try to braid them in and im itching to wear them!! :i2: any advice? thanks, peeps! ^^
rainbowtrixx

lovebunny

kaned_ferret

Re: Help with installs for afro-caribbean hair?

Post by kaned_ferret » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:02 am

how big are the sections you're using? I regularly have dreads in hair that's only 2 inches and it holds well, using sections maybe half an inch square, some really tight braiding and a decent rubber band at the bottom. and don't have your hair pre-conditioned or with any softening products on beforehand either!

rainbowbanana

Post by rainbowbanana » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:36 pm

thanks so much for the advice! ^^ i used approx 1/2 inch squares for my current install, but my hair kept bunching up, so now i have to redo them. XD but thank you, again! ill try it!
rainbowtrixx

lovebunny

kaned_ferret

Post by kaned_ferret » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 am

i find a lot of it comes down to finger-cramping, neck-breaking arm-aching practice :)

Hope you're enjoying more success!

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:24 pm

I have afro hair too and when i'm installing dreads on my hair super short (usually about an inch) I tend not to even section it, whatevers the most I can hold and tightly wrap aroudn the dread im putting in is the amount I use. it means that you end up with a LOT more dreads than normal but if your hairs 2 1/2 inches it should be loads easier. When super short I don't really braid it in as theres not enough hair, I just wrap it around and then put a band on.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

rainbowbanana

Post by rainbowbanana » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:38 am

thanks guys! when i was re-installing (had to wash my hair XD), i found that its easy for me to take my section, split it in half, twist each half then place the dread in the middle. then i twist and put a rubber band at the bottom of my hair where the dread is, tighten my hair, and then twist and put another rubber band at the end and then connect the hair to the dread with another rubber band. its a bit annoying because i run out of rubber bands faster. >.< but it makes them look neat XD
rainbowtrixx

lovebunny

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”