Wrapped Transitionals

Hotmess

Wrapped Transitionals

Post by Hotmess » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:57 pm

Wrapped Transitionals : For the People who get fed up with doing Transitionals the hard way!

I think with wool dreads this is called felting(?) with a needle and such and such. As a matter of fact, I think there was a tutorial on the old HH with something like this.

How do wrapped transitionals work?
Simple. I usually make full length, fully backcombed, dreaded and sealed DEs (or SEs), and then I take a section of KK hair, backcomb it a little, and then I take a bobby pin and pin the hair through the middle of the DE and then I start twisting the hair around the dread. After that, I seal.

P.S. This works the best with Tri-Color Transitionals, and transitionals that go from a Light Base, to a Darker Color.

Does anyone else use this method of making Transitionals?

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Re: Wrapped Transitionals

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Rhaniel's method is a bit easier i think and it can hold up a bit better. i'll use the example of a black to pink. in her method, you take the top colour of the transitional (black) and back comb that, then about a third of the way down, poke a hole and insert the bottom colour (pink) through and back comb that. then when you twist it all comes together. i'm not sure how easy it is to picture that in your head!

it's easy to do triples like this or make extra super long dreads by using the same colour the whole way down. may take a few goes to avoid getting a bump where the bottom colour goes through the hole in the top colour.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Amb3r

Post by Amb3r » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:Rhaniel's method is a bit easier i think and it can hold up a bit better. i'll use the example of a black to pink. in her method, you take the top colour of the transitional (black) and back comb that, then about a third of the way down, poke a hole and insert the bottom colour (pink) through and back comb that. then when you twist it all comes together. i'm not sure how easy it is to picture that in your head!

it's easy to do triples like this or make extra super long dreads by using the same colour the whole way down. may take a few goes to avoid getting a bump where the bottom colour goes through the hole in the top colour.

I totally agree. The trick is that you have to backcomb a bit more than usual and don't go so far down the first dread to poke the hole since that will make the dread look really skinny in the middle. Also, make sure that the second dread color has the same thickness as the first when you loop it through the hole.

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:29 pm

I use Rhaeniel's method, it's just simpler and quicker for me.

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:04 am

i use rhaniel's as well. however,i havent tried the other so maybe i will experiment with it at some point.hhmmmmmm....
when you find yourself on the edge of madness,dive.

** faerie princess **

kezerb

Post by kezerb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:23 am

I'll have to try this as it seems easier than the looping method. Thank you

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:26 am

I tried this, but I failed. I used a felting needle too. I guess I didn't do it properly.
My transitionals are more wrapped, I do SE's and backcomb hair like candycanes (this method is like Neon Hair's striped dreads method), although make one colour shorter, then wrap that hair around the other colour so it becomes solid on top, then in the middle, it starts to candycane where the top colour starts to taper down. If you know what I mean? Haha, I'm so bad at explaining it.

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 am

They both sound great.

I usually just blend three different lengths together and back comb. The shorter will dread up first and cover the others. You have to get your blending really nice to do it this way though. I think the other methods would be easier for most. I'm excited to try them out!!

Doc
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:42 am

For the transitionals I sell, I use Rhaniel's method and trim the ends of the top color to control how much swirling there is between it and the bottom color. I originally made them wrapped because I find its easier to do it that way, but I don't like how stiff the wrapped part gets compared to the rest of the dread.

I've also done the blended kind for some of the dread wigs I used to make, but I usually only use that method if the colors are similar (like red-orange-yellow, a darker shade to a lighter shade of the same color, etc).
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:24 am

Yeah, the stiffness is a bit too much, but it's just easier to make!

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:06 am

i cant remember whos method i use, but its the easiest ive tried, Rhaniel's method produced lumps and skinnys bits when i tried it and i got annoyed and gave up lol

you basically backcomb your first colour (say black) then backcomb your second (say blue)

then, take the blue and position it about a third of the way down the black, and start to wrap the black around the blue
then when you feel youve done that enough, switch to twisting the blue as normal, making sure that you twist the last little bit of the black too as if you were doing a candycane

eventually the little bit of black runs out and your left with just the blue to twist, then seal the whole thing as normal and trim off any bits of blue that are sticking out of the black from where you joined the two together

et voila! one transitional, hope that made sense??

ive never had problems with lumpy bits or the colours pulling apart when ive used this method, i think as long as you put the second colour in high up enough then theyre nicely secured

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”