Fabric glue, glitter and shoes?

Sophrodisiac

Fabric glue, glitter and shoes?

Post by Sophrodisiac » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:07 pm

I really want some glittery shoes, i have some silver demonia's but they aren't practical for everyday wear with their 7inch sole O_O And it's not exactly easy to find glittery shoes that aren't just high heels. I want some plaforms similar to swear or buffalo (basically with a platform that i can walk in)

I was wondering if i could use fabric glue to put glitter on shoes/boots and how well it would stay there?
Anyone who's tried it?

Any comments are useful, thanks in advance :)
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

XpaperclipX

Re: Fabric glue, glitter and shoes?

Post by XpaperclipX » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:42 pm

i know it can be done with spraypaint and sealing it afterwards.
maybe try to find some spraypaint with glitter?

i guess gluing the glitter on would work, but i think it would be more difficult to get an even result, but i'm not sure ;)

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:07 pm

hmm could do, the only thing would be precision, if i used spray paint it would go over the entire shoe, how would i do neater edges?
And do you mean spraying paint on then pouring glitter on top as it dries?
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:09 am

if it helps, i have an old pair of swears i was planning on doing this to...

i was going to use a slightly flexible glue, but a white glue type that dries clear (so maybe something like weld bond) to paint onto the shoe, then plop the glitter on it, let it dry, then paint over it with a thin layer of modge podge to keep it from flaking too badly. come to think of it i guess i could use modge podge as the glue layer too

as for neatness then you can use a paintbrush to put the glue where you want (small fine brush for details even) and not worry about the parts you dont want to glue!
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:37 am

tape it off!

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks for the advice ^^ What's modge podge though? O_o
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:58 am

I've done this a few times with plain old elmer's glue. It worked great. The only thing you have to be wary of is if the shoes crease at the base of your toes a lot then the glitter will eventually crack and flake off in this area. Not all shoes crease here though. Typically, platforms crease less that regular shoes do, but this is just my experience.

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:50 am

modge podge is a craft glue used for stuff like decoupage (uh...i think that's spelled right)

i've seen kids on craftster use it to stick things like comics and gum wrappers to their shoes, it seems to work really well so i think it might flex a little and make up for that cracking that miss liberty is warning about!

something like hobby lobby in the uk probably carries it?

http://www.plaidonline.com/apmp.asp
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Little Miss

Post by Little Miss » Sun May 16, 2010 5:49 am

Wow I haven't been on since the old boards and the switch. I've actually done this before. I used rubber cement and then seal it in with a clear coat or polyurethane. I did a coat of rubber cement, poured on the glitter, then let it dry well and did another coat of rubber cement and glitter. I let this one dry over night and then put on the polyurethane.

Good luck! :i2:

"You need no one's permission to create, start now." ~Angelspit

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Sun May 16, 2010 5:59 am

I did this to a pair of my sister's shoes so she could have the ruby slippers from wizard of oz. I used slightly thinned fabritack (spelling?) sprinkled the glitter on, then once that dried, sprayed with aerosol varnish. As said above, though, the creases from walking won't keep glitter very long.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Sun May 16, 2010 5:24 pm

I have made a few pairs of glitter shoes using plain older Elmer's glue. I didn't spray seal them afterward, so they would shed a tiny bit. however, they still looked great for years. The only issue I had was is the crease you get on the top of the shoe from where the base of your toes bend it while walking, if that makes sense.

The first pair I did where platform mary janes, so the crease at the toe was not bad and the glitter stayed perfectly. The next set I did were not platforms, and so were more prone to bending at this crease when I walked. The glitter in these areas eventually cracked and flaked off.

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 pm

i can't for the life of me find the site i saw it on but someone made glitter shoes and a bra using Tulip glitter glue, seemed to work really well
/emmy x

BloodHoney

Post by BloodHoney » Mon May 24, 2010 12:39 am

I've used glitter nailpolish on my leather boots and it looked fantastic for years. I occasionally found flakes of glitter in my carpet, but the boots looked fine. If I were to do it again, I would use glitter fabric paint because, honestly, I have it on hand, and if it can last on my clothes, I'm sure it would do well on shoes.
Website? Yup, I have one of those! www.bloodhoney.net

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”