Medical Mask Tutorial

Crystori

Medical Mask Tutorial

Post by Crystori » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Ok I apologize for the low quality of these and the fact that I'm using PAPER instead of material (like you should) but generally this will show you how to make a mask the way "I" do it.
(I'm in the middle of moving so all my materials and sewing supplies are packed up. when I finish moving I plan on redoing this tut. ok?) BTW I sew these to sell ^^; so sharing my secret is seeming kinda dumb but......

Materials you will need-

Fabric from which to make the mask.
Elastic to make the mask stay on.
Thread that matches the mask for which to sew.
(optional)Thread in opposing color for lining the edges so they do not fray.
Whatever decorations you desire.
(optional) White chalk to mark where to cut!

Step 1-
Fold your material in half! All you actually need in material is about regular printer sized anyhow.

Step 2-
Now you get to use the chalk! Draw the pudding shape.......I know it's weird but I always think that when I do this. it reminds me of those flat topped little pyramid pudding things that my grandma always made. .....though those tasted terrible. Nonetheless that's what I call it so HAH. Anyhow If you don't feel ok with "free-handing" it then get out a ruler.

Step 3-
CUT! Normally when I'm working with fabric I will pin them together so they don't slip and leave me with uneven sides.

Step 4-
First mark along the edges. (with the chalk!)
Then sew them! (with the paper it was easier to staple and tape it afterwords but it's usually bet to sew and then cut -be careful not to cut the threads though!)
In this picture I made "threadlines" in photoshop to show you how to stitch this part.
IT"S IMPORTANT! These parts are under stress and usually need the extra hold.

And then cut those edges off!

Step 6-
Turn it inside out making the seam go to the inside. (usually I have some excess material in there and I iron it to get it flat and it doesn't have a seam rubbing along my nose.)
and
TADA!
It should fit like this!
Sorry XP I know I look terrible. I spent the night holding a six year old who seems to have more nightmares than a horror movie. And my hair is still pinned up and only half done lol I got install happy and installed them as I made them. it's going to interesting as I think I'm running out of hair........ I really hope I can finish before then.....

You can sew on the elastic to the ends in a >---- sort of shape then tie it in the back (or make it to fit and simply stretch on and off. .....though I usually advise against this as - it is HELL to get it on and off when you have dreads or a wig. )

Once you do all that you can easily sew on decorations or paint them.
If you use Vinyl or leather Make SURE to make "breathing holes" or when you try to breath the mask will collapse in and you will have the same effect as putting a bag over your head! .......you do not want to do this. Passing out at a party is never as fun as it looks. lol

Good luck!

brandalynn

Re: Medical Mask Tutorial

Post by brandalynn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:45 pm

Sweeeeeeeet!!! Thanx for the tut!
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Crystori

Post by Crystori » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:58 pm

*nods* you are very welcome! I noticed so many people asking and I know there are other ways of making them.... but this way works and fits it snugly to the face and looks pretty darn good! I'm just happy if it was of some help.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:52 am

Oooh thanks so much :i12:
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:45 pm

You make them out of cloth, pvc, etc. She was showing how to make your template/pattern.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Crystori

Post by Crystori » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:32 pm

joshua2010 wrote:Well, that is a really creative in the medical mask. But, how it is work if you use that medical mask, is that a paper or cloth? I think if that a paper if you will wear it maybe break it easily.
The one that I was making was out of paper- but you are supposed to use cloth. I was simply showing HOW to make it- Unless you are fond of papercuts on your nose bridge I wouldn't recommend using paper.

Oizys

Post by Oizys » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Semi dead thread but still wanted to say its awesome!
Very easy. Yay!

Crystori

Post by Crystori » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Oizys wrote:Semi dead thread but still wanted to say its awesome!
Very easy. Yay!
Yeah. I've neglected to update because My wedding is in October and I'm totally overworking myself even though we are tossing most of it out the window. Haha, I will definitely have an updated version fairly soon.

:) I'm glad that you liked it though.

Crystori

Post by Crystori » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:11 pm

joshua2010 wrote:Well, that was really creative of you to make your own medical mask. But aren't medical mask disposables and should be discarded after some use because bacteria can accumulate while you wet the mask with your saliva. I think it is easier to buy ready made than consume time in sewing your own. Indianapolis Breast Augmentation
I'm going to just point out that if one makes these out of cloth then it is easy enough to wash. Secondly they are not for "medical use".
A lot of people like to wear them as an accessory- there was a large amount of requests for "medical masks" and "how to make them". These are for decorative purposes- I'm sure I stated that.
:o how shocking you must find this concept.

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”