How to dye your hair black with henna and indigo

MistressH

How to dye your hair black with henna and indigo

Post by MistressH » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:35 am

Firstly i need to point out that im inputting this tut as i do it as my concentration isnt long enough to sit and do it in one go lol

For tips on where to get henna and indigo and what to look for etc see the bleaching and dye forum

1) Heres my awful roots, cant believe i let them get this long, though in my defence my hair grows incredibly quickly! The indigo from last time is fading too so my hair has gone a reddy colour

2) The day BEFORE you want to do it mix your henna powder with freshly squeezed lemon juice (remove those pips!) mix to a thick paste (like clay almost) then cover with clingfilm or whatever, leave overnight, make sure all your utensils are NON METALLIC

4) The next morning mix your paste to a yoghurty consistency with water. TIP: use warm water it feels much nicer when you apply!
Wash your hair with shampoo but not conditioner, comb.

5) After making sure your hairline and ears are well covered in vaseline and you have plastic gloves on, spread your henna over your hair the same as a chemical dye, in sections. then cover your entire head with clingfilm and proceed to scare your neighbours half to death when you go to get your washing in lol

im going to leave this on for about 4 hrs

6) APPROX 4 HRS LATER......
rinse very well using a mild shampoo then towl dry. Hair / roots will look a bit like this, obviously depending on the colour they started off as!

REPEAT STEPS 4+5 BUT WITH YOUR INDIGO POWDER
note: you do not need to do the lemon juice thing or the leaving overnight thing. mix to a yoghurty consistency and use straight away! This stuff is harder to get it to stick to the hair so a bit of determination is needed also!

Re-clngfilm your head and go to bed for the night, youve earned the rest!

In the morning washit out and shampoo, dryand style and Voila!

LittlePinkFaery

Re: How to dye your hair black with henna and indigo

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:44 am

I am going to move this to tutorials- everything else

whilst it is about hair it is not about extension hair :)

Thanks for posting it though:)

Wild.Rabbit.Ren

Post by Wild.Rabbit.Ren » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:30 pm

Nice & simple great tut gonna henna my hair soon so this is a good resource for me to check out

Pelafina

Post by Pelafina » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:09 am

hey ladies, i just wanted to warn you we are going over the chemistry of hair dyes in my class at cosmetology school and Henna dyes are very dangerous if you plan on dying your hair with chemical dyes again. and i mean ever in the rest of the life of the hair you dye with the henna being on your head! If you arent careful it can cause the Peptide bonds in your hair to break and your hair will melt/fall apart in some cases! I just get scared for people, id hate for anyone to have a nightmare happen if the worse should occur. Henna also coats the cuticle of the hair, which means if you ever get your hair permed/relaxed it might not work or it will come out uneven. I dont know the chances of you guys getting perms or relaxing your hair, and honestly i think henna has some gorgeous color effects, but i wanted to give a warning either way just in case!

~
~~*InDeCiSiVe Army *~~~

MistressH

Post by MistressH » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Pelafina wrote:hey ladies, i just wanted to warn you we are going over the chemistry of hair dyes in my class at cosmetology school and Henna dyes are very dangerous if you plan on dying your hair with chemical dyes again. and i mean ever in the rest of the life of the hair you dye with the henna being on your head! If you arent careful it can cause the Peptide bonds in your hair to break and your hair will melt/fall apart in some cases! I just get scared for people, id hate for anyone to have a nightmare happen if the worse should occur. Henna also coats the cuticle of the hair, which means if you ever get your hair permed/relaxed it might not work or it will come out uneven. I dont know the chances of you guys getting perms or relaxing your hair, and honestly i think henna has some gorgeous color effects, but i wanted to give a warning either way just in case!

~
actually thats not true sorry. henna does nothing but good from your hair. youhave to use PURE henna not pre packaged henna with added nasties as those will cause the above mentioned results

henna has bad pr because of these processed hennas but these are not real henna.

for more information see www.hennaforhair.com

happy henna-ing!

uid

Post by uid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:28 am

I've always been afraid to try henna, thanks for the tutorial!

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:08 pm

Ha, I'm sitting here with indigo on my head at the moment!

I tried this a few months ago but I only get my hair to go dark brown. In the instructions I got with the henna/indigo it says indigo goes darker with heat, so you're more likely to get a blue-black colour in the summer. Fingers crossed!

pixiesixx

Post by pixiesixx » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:08 am

really glad i found this, my hair gets a hammering way too often from black dye, my hairs lighter naturally and it grows real fast too, so im going to try this one out the next time it needs dying - which trust me is already son after doing it 2 week ago -_-

where can you get the henna powders and the indigo without them costing the earth? ive looked on ebay but its all that black henna rubbish - not intrested! my boyfriend lived right in the middle of an asian comunity, but im not sure what shops would sell it if they even did do, also, has anyone tried the lush caca nior? if so how was it!

ZanneB

Post by ZanneB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Edited to add:
Oops...just found hennaboy.co.uk doing a search :)

...hi, I realize that this is an old post. But did anyone in Europe manage to find a webshop within EU that carries bodyart quality indigo/henna similar to that of mehandi.com ?
I'm a bit scarred of ordering this from the US, due to the heavy import-taxes I have to pay in Denmark...

/zanne

darcitananda

Post by darcitananda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Oh cool, good to see people are using natural products to go black. I've been "hennidigoing" my hair for years, as I'm allergic to most brown/black chemical dyes. TMI, but I get dandruff sometimes and henna eliminates it (it's naturally anti-fungal and anti-bacterial). I was thinking it will be great to henna the hair before and after an install to help prevent/alleviate any itchies.

As for coloring/bleaching over henna, the notion that it is not ok is wrong. My hair lady bleached my quite-dark-at-the-time hair for some highlights and it worked fine.

The misconceptions about henna being dangerous are mostly related to "black henna" which is not henna at all, but PPD which is a very toxic chemical dye in many black and brown hair dyes. Indigo is sometimes erroneously labeled "Black Henna", further adding to the confusion.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the natural stuff.

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”