how to lighten a shade of hair dye

cyberxelf

how to lighten a shade of hair dye

Post by cyberxelf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 am

i want my hair kinda a dirty grungy pastel rainbow. All the semi permanent hair dye is to bright how do i make the hair dye lightener
"I will be your noise"

iamtheparty

Re: how to lighten a shade of hair dye

Post by iamtheparty » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:32 am

The easiest way is to dilute it with conditioner. It will probably need topping up quite frequently though.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

tr1angl3

Post by tr1angl3 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 pm

You could try a soap cap if it's already dyed: http://www.hairdressingworld.com/hairdr ... -t517.html

If you're going to go the dilution route you might want to use toner rather than conditioner as too much conditioner keeps the dye from adhereing to your hair.

cyberxelf

Post by cyberxelf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 am

tr1angl3 wrote:You could try a soap cap if it's already dyed: http://www.hairdressingworld.com/hairdr ... -t517.html

If you're going to go the dilution route you might want to use toner rather than conditioner as too much conditioner keeps the dye from adhereing to your hair.
that sound like over kill in a way and it color is semi permanent. but thanks for helping
"I will be your noise"

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:57 pm

I dilute with conditioner all the time. More often than not in fact. Not only does it dilute the dye, but with SFX I find it makes it a little bit easier to apply.

Trick is start with the conditioner in the bowl and add the color a little at a time, mixing like paint until you get the desired shade. With some of these bright dyes, like Atomic Pink and Hi-Octane Orange, a little dye goes a long way, and if you start with dye and it is still too bright you will end up with a bucket full by the time you add the right amount of conditioner back in!

cyberxelf

Post by cyberxelf » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:34 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:Toner!
does toner dry out ur hair?
"I will be your noise"

tr1angl3

Post by tr1angl3 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:19 am

The reason I suggested a soap cap was because I wasn't sure if you'd already dyed it with bright colors already.
cyberxelf wrote:

Not unless your hair is really damaged. It does contain activators + peroxide but in very low amounts so you should be fine unless your hair is completely fried. It won't keep the dye from sticking to your hair like large amounts of conditioner will so using toner to dilute is optimal if you're going for really unsaturated shades. If you're going for the dirty look, I wouldn't bleach your hair that much if it's fairly light (I dunno what your natural shade is). You want brown showing through and altering the color.

cyberxelf

Post by cyberxelf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 am

tr1angl3 wrote:The reason I suggested a soap cap was because I wasn't sure if you'd already dyed it with bright colors already.
cyberxelf wrote:

Not unless your hair is really damaged. It does contain activators + peroxide but in very low amounts so you should be fine unless your hair is completely fried. It won't keep the dye from sticking to your hair like large amounts of conditioner will so using toner to dilute is optimal if you're going for really unsaturated shades. If you're going for the dirty look, I wouldn't bleach your hair that much if it's fairly light (I dunno what your natural shade is). You want brown showing through and altering the color.
my hair is pretty fried my natural haircolor in auburn/brown so it not light at all. my hair is completely platinum though. But brown here and there sound like a good idea
"I will be your noise"

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:31 am

tr1angl3 wrote:The reason I suggested a soap cap was because I wasn't sure if you'd already dyed it with bright colors already.
cyberxelf wrote:

What brand is the toner?

tr1angl3

Post by tr1angl3 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:42 pm

cyberxelf wrote: my hair is pretty fried my natural haircolor in auburn/brown so it not light at all. my hair is completely platinum though. But brown here and there sound like a good idea

If it's super fried maybe you should give it a little break...

cyberxelf

Post by cyberxelf » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:43 am

tr1angl3 wrote:
cyberxelf wrote: my hair is pretty fried my natural haircolor in auburn/brown so it not light at all. my hair is completely platinum though. But brown here and there sound like a good idea

If it's super fried maybe you should give it a little break...
i do give it big breaks weeks on end in i use coconut oil on it as deep conditioner. lots of protein and moister. i only bleached it once cause i use i really good bleach and i have a special technique i use :i2: . btu the only reason it friend is because of the fact that i double processed it with a chemical straighter and the bleach. but i still in okay shape
"I will be your noise"

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:52 am

I used Fudge's Toner "whiter shade of pale" to lighten a pink dye a few years back.
The dye washed out fairly quick, but it was a nice result.

It was a fairly darker pink, think extremely saturated neon magenta. I softened it up.

After a few washes, it completely washed out.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:23 pm

I have to say, pink does not compute when I think of you, Lara!

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:17 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:I used Fudge's Toner "whiter shade of pale" to lighten a pink dye a few years back.
The dye washed out fairly quick, but it was a nice result.
That stuff is amaaayzing.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Kandiihaar

Post by Kandiihaar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Miss Liberty wrote:I dilute with conditioner all the time. More often than not in fact. Not only does it dilute the dye, but with SFX I find it makes it a little bit easier to apply.

Trick is start with the conditioner in the bowl and add the color a little at a time, mixing like paint until you get the desired shade. With some of these bright dyes, like Atomic Pink and Hi-Octane Orange, a little dye goes a long way, and if you start with dye and it is still too bright you will end up with a bucket full by the time you add the right amount of conditioner back in!
This is exactly what I do, I always make to much to so i can use as a biweekly conditioning mask, seems to work quite well :-) xx

tr1angl3

Post by tr1angl3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Haha I do the conditioning mask thing too (kind of). I just pour the excess dye in the conditioner bottle and use it as normal. I know one of these day's my boyfriend is going to grab the wrong bottle lol

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 pm

I've diluted SFX with water!

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”