What is the best beauty advice you've ever gotten?

xdnyhair

What is the best beauty advice you've ever gotten?

Post by xdnyhair » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:47 am

Let's all share the simple little beauty tips that our moms gave us when we were little!

My mom always told me that if I wanted to avoid washing my hair, putting baby powder at the roots would help absorb oil to make it look cleaner. Another simple little thing is to never pluck above your eyebrows, only under. And there's the old Coco Chanel tip that everyone knows, remove one accessory before leaving the house.

I'd especially appreciate tips for healthy skin, because that's something I'm struggling with recently, I'm so red :oops:

VixenSingsBlack

Re: What is the best beauty advice you've ever gotten?

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:12 am

Moisturize, even if you are an oily person. I don't know if that was from my mom or not, but it's so so true.

xdnyhair

Post by xdnyhair » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:41 am

VixenSingsBlack wrote:Moisturize, even if you are an oily person. I don't know if that was from my mom or not, but it's so so true.
I am SUCH an oily person but I keep hearing this tip! I think the reason I'm red is because I keep drying myself out, but I can't seem to find a moisturizer that won't make my skin look super greasy... Any suggestions guys?

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:57 am

Cetaphil Lotion. Simplest, purest ingredients. So gentle I even used directly on seriously BAD sunburn--no stinging at all! Use very small amounts of Cetaphil, like dime size for the entire face. Works wonders! I love my Cetaphil lotion. Also use the cleanser when feeling VERY dry. I wet my face with water, lather a bunch of the cleanser between my hands, and rub into my skin. Then rinse with water--then put on the Lotion. I use this in conjunction with my Proactive system, because sometimes that leaves me dry, irritated. You can even use Cetaphil Cleanser without water!

madebs666

Post by madebs666 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 am

A strange one, but it was 'Don't shave your legs at a young age' My mum has never shaved her legs and they are a smooth as a babies bum. It's a bit like upper lips I suppose in that some don't have thick hair on their legs, so don't actually have to shave.

But me being thirteen and reading teen magazines thought it was a grown up thing to do and shaved them. As my mum predicted, within a week thicker, darker hair had grown back and I was forever stuck with shaving my legs.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:27 am

madebs666 wrote:A strange one, but it was 'Don't shave your legs at a young age' My mum has never shaved her legs and they are a smooth as a babies bum. It's a bit like upper lips I suppose in that some don't have thick hair on their legs, so don't actually have to shave.

But me being thirteen and reading teen magazines thought it was a grown up thing to do and shaved them. As my mum predicted, within a week thicker, darker hair had grown back and I was forever stuck with shaving my legs.
Try telling that to an 11 year old Italian! My little sister is very hairy, being the Italian in her (Irish/Italian), so it had to go!
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:26 am

xdnyhair wrote:Another simple little thing is to never pluck above your eyebrows, only under.
A lot of experts are dismissing this nowadays. I've heard several reasons why, such as the idea that all eyebrows have a good shape at the top being incorrect, but I'm not totally sure why they are going back on that advice.

sashajade201

Post by sashajade201 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:06 am

Rinse your hair with cold water. Seal in those cuticles.

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:12 am

Moisturize! SPF! and drink lots of water! Course I have a hard time with the last but when I do I do see the benefits.

BeautifullyChaotic

Post by BeautifullyChaotic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:22 am

My older brother told me when I was 11 that I should never ever pop zits. It'll lead to scarring.

I married a man whose mother was almost on a psychopathic rampage to pop all zits. Alas, he now has acne scars.
Teri

The Business Blog for the Young and Crafty
More Than Lemonade - http://morethanlemonade.com

Cool Hair for Cool People Since 2000
Beautifully Chaotic Designs - http://beautifullychaotic.net

BossyLibraryLady

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:38 am

If you have problem skin and have trouble leaving spots alone, don't have a mirror in the bathroom, or at the very least keep it covered.

sammu

Post by sammu » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Pallidity wrote:
xdnyhair wrote:Another simple little thing is to never pluck above your eyebrows, only under.
A lot of experts are dismissing this nowadays. I've heard several reasons why, such as the idea that all eyebrows have a good shape at the top being incorrect, but I'm not totally sure why they are going back on that advice.
I pluck above, and so far I've not turned purple, or succumbed to a beauty-ravishing disease. Those who tell you not to just spout a load of b****cks imho. :roll: :lol:

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:05 pm

i also pluck above.......However, I would still say its good advice not to. (unless you know what you're doing) Surely we all know at least one girl with sperm/apostrophe eyebrows?!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:07 pm

fustmuffin wrote:i also pluck above.......However, I would still say its good advice not to. (unless you know what you're doing) Surely we all know at least one girl with sperm/apostrophe eyebrows?!
Can you picture reference this look?

guest123

Post by guest123 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:24 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 pm

another tip i've found. when shaving if your one who gets those annoying razor bumps when shaving your bikini area use baby oil and a fresh razor- not only do you not get the bumps but you get a really smooth shave. ive also used it to shave my legs since i get sooo dried out easily

i dont know if this is okay to do but if not please just remove it :)
Squeak has some interesting tips on her twitter, granted you have to weed out all the nonsnce but they are there (http://twitter.com/Squeakmachine)

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:51 pm

on to great beauty tips - ALWAYS remove makeup before bed, that's an important one (and one I don't always do admittedly - naughty me)
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Intra_venus

Post by Intra_venus » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Baby oil to shave legs/lady gardens is amazing! And it makes your skin nice and smooth too! My skin trick is to have a fizzy vitamin C tablet every day. It really does make a noticable difference in my skin!

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:44 am

Can we please stick to the thread topic and only write what the best advice given to you was/is. We already have conversations about eyebrows in other threads.
*all off topic comments are and will be deleted.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:38 am

Having ignored most advice for way too long, I recently added toner to my cleanse and moisturise routine. It did make a difference. Last week I had my very first facial and the beautician gave me a tip; using a bit of toner on your hands to rub it in, rather than putting it onto cotton wool first. It makes the toner go further and can't get absorbed by the cotton wool. She was right! The effect of the toner on my skin is amazing, far better than the way I was doing it.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:24 am

Madii wrote:"Since when is it an exclusively male right to have body hair?"

I have never shaved my legs, "bikini area" and haven't shaved my pits for well over a year. Every time I start letting the "beauty" rubbish get to me I try to think of this. I am beautiful just as I am. I go out in sleeveless tops regularly and every now and again I feel self-conscious about it, until I remind myself that "there is nothing ugly about a secondary sex characteristic." I also find Dove's "campaign for natural beauty" a right laugh - what's "natural" about hairless underarms or legs exactly?

To any other ladies who live razor-free, keep on truckin' and don't give in to the pressure.
Ah I learned my lesson the hard way, the bikini area this is. I shaved down there and UGH so itchy and it was horrid and blah. So now I let it be, my boyfriend thinks no hair looks like a little girl anyway so I am happy he likes it too :D

Anyway before I get completely off-topic the best advice I got was from my mother, if you got it flaunt it, and if you don't, do it anyway. So basically attempt to accentuate what you got and improve what you don't.

EDIT; I suck at quoting :lol:

Naughty Frenchie

Post by Naughty Frenchie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 pm

I guess it was : GO to bed earlier! And sleep more!

Sometimes very simple healthy habits can make a big difference...that's what I was told ... but apparently I must not be healthy enough,when you look at my complexion and skin problems, lol !

Allexiyah

Post by Allexiyah » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 pm

to use a mac shadestick underneath any makeup i put on - fab

try not to squeeze spots - hmmm

and agree with previous - MOISTURISE!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:Having ignored most advice for way too long, I recently added toner to my cleanse and moisturise routine. It did make a difference. Last week I had my very first facial and the beautician gave me a tip; using a bit of toner on your hands to rub it in, rather than putting it onto cotton wool first. It makes the toner go further and can't get absorbed by the cotton wool. She was right! The effect of the toner on my skin is amazing, far better than the way I was doing it.
I started doing this as well. I don't know if it makes the toner more effective, but I am saving on toner. Thanks!

More basic advice: If you choose to shave the bikini area (it's a choice, not a requirement) use a fresh razor and when you're done swipe the area with rubbing alcohol. This stops bacteria from migrating off the top of your skin and into the pore, causing (embarrassing) pimples down there.

Cut/snip your nose hair, NEVER pluck/tweeze. If you tweeze a nose hair, and bacteria gets into the shaft, it can be deadly because the nose blood vessels are so closely related to the brain.

AmberLilith

Post by AmberLilith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:27 pm

The best advice I've ever been given is WEAR SUNSCREEN.
I know it's a cheesey song too -that i love just because it contains the main advice for skin that i would give anyone -but it truly is important.
Aside from the obvious prevention of skin cancer, it helps keep your skin moisturised and prevents it looking aged.
Indigo Thunder hair falls
Custom and pre-made wool yarn falls

LiveJournal:
http://indigo-thunder.livejournal.com/

now on FaceBook too:
http://www.facebook.com/indigothunder

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”