Make-up *Bad Reviews*

iamtheparty

Re: Make-up *Bad Reviews*

Post by iamtheparty » Thu May 21, 2009 11:03 pm

kyandii wrote:Barry M 150 Red glitter nail paint

Oh my gosh, I don't want to write this but
I hate this stuff
Its a really nice color but when you put it on it feels like you stuck your nails in sand, the glitter is actual lumps of glitter. It feels terrible I ended up taking it off within 2 hours. I guess you'd have to put a thick layer of clear coat over the top.
I have this and I LOVE it until about a day later when the red wears off and half the glitter goes silver and looks really really shabby. I guess a topcoat would really help. Although I was never bothered by the texture.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

misskini

Post by misskini » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:41 pm

abby_carnage wrote:URBAN DECAY COLOURED PENCIL EYELINERS
I absolutely adore urban decay so it pains me to do this but has anybody else had a problem with these liners? I had a pack of 5 (i think) as a crimbo present and was so ecstatic at first. I tested them out and they were super bright :) However, the pencils are sooo soft, after using my black liner say about 5 times, it completely wore down. Now, i only use them occasionally as they will run out and are pretty dear. :S Maybe this is because they are the miniature versions and not the full pencils? Seems a bit odd really? They also smudge a lot on me? x
Hey. I've worked for UD, these eyeliners are amazing! What you're saying about it wearing down and being soft, yep, they are soft, thats what gives them the glide on texture, if it's kept in really hot conditions though (the lights on the counters in store did it) they melt, try popping them in the fridge for half an hour before you use. Also, if it wears down, just sharpen it with a good sharpener! I had loads of people say the point went and didnt realise you just sharpen it!

Also, they're actually waterproof after 3 minutes, put them on, and dont try and move them, or smudge them to prove a point straight away, give them a few minutes to dry down and i swear they'll be there all day. They're actually my fave make-up product of all time! Just letting you in on the info so you can get some use cos they're honestly gorgeous!

misskini

Post by misskini » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:45 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:Urban Decay - surrealist skin foundation

It really pains me to do this as I adore urban decay products normally, and support their ethical stance. However, this foundation is a real let down. The bottle is designed to look like some sort of middle eastern potion bottle or something, and herein lies the first problem... it is a squeezy bottle with a nozzle on the end. When you squeeze nothing much happens, so you shake it down and squeeze again, not much happens, so you manage to squeeze with more fingers, which is a bit difficult as you need a hand to be squeezing it into as well, and then you end up with too much, but due to the nozzle style end there is no way of getting it back in. The bottle is very very annoying (despite being pretty).

I could probably handle the bottle except the foundation feels sticky on my skin. It is hard to blend and apply smoothly, and just leaves me with a sticky feeling, so I have to apply powder, whereas normally I would only apply powder to my T-zone.

On the plus side it has good coverage, and is long lasting throughout the day.

I can be bothered to use up what I have left, but I won't be buying a replacement for it when it has gone

ETA: since writing this review i should note that 3 separate people have all commented on how amazing my skin looks. Now i don't have amazing skin so it must be this foundation, so it's not all bad!

However, having got the knack of the bottle and managing to get just the right amount out, now it is running out and I have to squeeze harder it has got harder to use, blobbing out huge amounts all of ba sudden with no way to get it back in the bottle. Stupid design.
Gotta say, I worked for Urban and for a long time, I hated this foundation, and still think it goes on like stage make-up, extremely heavy, but I found blending it on the back of you hand and applying with a blusher brush really helped me, sponges are useless with it. lol. and yeah, bottle is a really crap design, i emptied mine out into a jar lol. :D

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25 pm

iamtheparty wrote:

I hate this stuff
Its a really nice color but when you put it on it feels like you stuck your nails in sand, the glitter is actual lumps of glitter. It feels terrible I ended up taking it off within 2 hours. I guess you'd have to put a thick layer of clear coat over the top.
I have this and I LOVE it until about a day later when the red wears off and half the glitter goes silver and looks really really shabby. I guess a topcoat would really help. Although I was never bothered by the texture.
I have this (wearing it now!) and I find it looks lovely if you have a clear coat on top.
"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

myhappymassacre

Post by myhappymassacre » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Stargazer UV Pink Eyeshadow

Everyone seems to love this one, and the colour looks so bright and promising, but when I apply it... eww. It's so light, and it falls into my eyes and itches loads. I just can't get it to work for me!

sky_high

Post by sky_high » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 am

MAC Compacts

SUCH a bad product, after you put foundation on you are supposed to put on powder, I bought this powder about a month ago, I'm still using it because I can't afford to get a new compact (WAY expensive). In the heat with this powder on it feels like your face is melting off, it is a very clumpy consistency when you apply it and it feels like you are wearing a pound of makeup haha.

Whatver is in it made me break-out SO bad also, and I NEVER break-out.

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:15 am

Spooki wrote:Rimmel Cool Matte 16 Hr Mousse Foundation
This is by far the worst thing i've ever done to my face. I think giving myself a facial with hot grease from a deep fryer would've been better. It's watery and applies splotchy and thin. It's not cool (unless you stick it in the fridge) and it's not very matte. It doesn't cover well and rubs off easily. Worst of all it gives me horrid break outs, not good for sensitive skin or oily and combination skin. The only plus is it smells good.

on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best i would give this product a -1!
IAWTC.
The most HORRIBLE foundation i've ever used, including my crappy £1.99 natural collection one from Boots (which is probably the 2nd most horrible foundation i've ever used, but i was in a fix and it was cheap!)
This stuff, was NOT cheap, was NOT matte, and does NOT last for 16 hours.
The good things about it are that in my experience it is quite cooling, and it does smell nice, even with Gosh primer on this stuff disappeared after about 6 hours, its blotchy, the coverage is terrible, and it gives me the most awful break outs, never have i put anything on my face that makes me break out as bad as this does.
Terrible terrible stuff, i'm finishing it up because unfortunately it does match my skin tone perfectly and i hate waste, but when i'm done with it... NEVER AGAIN! I'll be sticking with my Maybelline.
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

DieTigress

Post by DieTigress » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:35 pm

L'oreal Voluminous Eyeliner "marker"

As much as I adore the concept of an eyeliner marker that's very easy to put on, and as much as it works /in theory/, in reality it's horrible. It smells like a sharpie (which I was able to live with for a few days), and trying to put it on is near impossible. It's chisel tip so you have to hold it EXACT to get a nice thin line, and you have to hold your eyes closed and your eyebrows up for 5 minutes (it feels like an hour, for sure!) in order for it to dry. If you don't do that, it leaves little black spots on your upper eyelid. And if you're like me and put on eyeshadow first, that's a HUGE problem. L'oreal had an amazing concept, but in reality, it's less than amazing.
I love listening to new wave 80's pop. Does that make me gay?

"No, Die. Your homosexuality makes you gay."

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Becca wrote:
iamtheparty wrote:

I hate this stuff
I have this (wearing it now!) and I find it looks lovely if you have a clear coat on top.

When I put this one I said "This is the best nail varnish I have ever worn" Then a day later it all fell off.

I did try the top coat thing and not putting so much on.. It still chips off too quick. :[

AmberLilith

Post by AmberLilith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Rimmel London mascara 'Volume Flash -The Max'

http://www.rimmellondon.com/UK/products ... spx?id=419

- this is the one in the pink tube.

It seems to get gloopy and 'old' very quickly. It stings if it gets too close to my eyes!! Not good!
When new, the coverage is fairly average, nothing amazing.
The brush size is ok.

Wouldn't recommend it at all.
Indigo Thunder hair falls
Custom and pre-made wool yarn falls

LiveJournal:
http://indigo-thunder.livejournal.com/

now on FaceBook too:
http://www.facebook.com/indigothunder

AdrenaLynny

Post by AdrenaLynny » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 pm

She Space/About Face multi use pigments. I wanted to love these, the color range was pretty and they had these gorgeous looking blackened glitter shadows and I spent a good bit of money awhile back on probably 10 shades, and their black out primer. The black out primer is basically the same thing as Nyx Jumbo eyeshadow pencil in Black Bean. Only greasy and crease-y. It gummed up my lids and made blending impossible. The colors look beautiful in the package but are very lackluster on the skin, even when foiled or over UDPP. The minute you blend them, their shimmer vanishes and the color gets muddy. The glittered ones....ugh. Its hard to describe accurately how dissapointed I was. "Powdered Diamond Dust" are darkened blackish glitters in purple green blue and the like. Basically you apply them and the black powder goes splotchy, and any attempts to blend leaves glitter fallout all over your face....and none of your lids. I was terribly excited about these when I had ordered them too.
Cunning Stunt.

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm

maybelline super stay 24 hr makeup
lovely product really, gives a wonderful airbrushed finish but the lightest shade is a good 3 shades too dark for me. i usually stick to maybelline because their "porcelain ivory" is a perfect match for my skin tone. this foundation makes me look orange like i put on fake-bake.

if you're pale, this line is not for you. :i3:

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Manic Panic pressed powders

It's sooooo dry even for oily skin. Getting a smooth even application is next to impossible. I tried using good moisturizers overnight to ensure my skin wasn't dried out in the morning, but no, this stuff still goes on like crap. Dissapointing to me because the compact was beautiful and the liquid foundations work so well... :x
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 pm

sky_high wrote:MAC Compacts

SUCH a bad product, after you put foundation on you are supposed to put on powder, I bought this powder about a month ago, I'm still using it because I can't afford to get a new compact (WAY expensive). In the heat with this powder on it feels like your face is melting off, it is a very clumpy consistency when you apply it and it feels like you are wearing a pound of makeup haha.

Whatver is in it made me break-out SO bad also, and I NEVER break-out.

I like the coverage it gives but it seems to be really thick. After 4hours or so it all starts getting patchy and wearing off in places like round the nose.. which looks grim.

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

No7 Amazing Eyes Liner

Seriously unimpressed with this... for the past 5 months I've been using the Boots Natural Collection black liquid eyeliner, and it's done fine! Ok, so it flakes in the evening after awhile, it's a bit rubbish in the heat if worn on a bare eye with no primer, the brush is a bit thin, but for £2 a pop, and for as much as you get (8ml) - it's brilliant. Been happily using it since my MAC Fluidline ran out.

I got a £5 off voucher for No7 range though, and seeing as I was running low I thought I'd have a look. I'm seriously appalled at the price alone for what you get, £8.50 for a tiny little thing! But, I thought, reasonable, and very reasonable at £3.50, if it's any good. So I bought it.
I've been wearing it the past 3 days and I have some complaints, firstly, the brush is very thick, I like this personally as I tend to prefer a thicker line, but it would be hopeless if I wanted something more subtle. It needs two coats to get a decent black line as the application is awkward and streaky which means you use a lot of it in one go. It transfers after about an hour on a bare eye, after about 3 on a primed eye (concealer, dusting power) and after about 6 over my UDPP and eyeshadow.
It is NOT waterproof at all! Got caught in the rain, streaked all over the place... I'm really unhappy with this. Until I get a bit more cashola in for MAC, I'll be sticking with my £2 Natural Collection :roll:
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:29 pm

physician's formula powder pallete green mosaic corrector

perhaps too much titanium dioxide? this makes me look even paler than i already am! it looks like i put baby powder on my face. it has good staying power though.

cost like $10 so i'm going to use it up, not like i don't look like a ghost with out it any way...

blackmetal_mosher

Post by blackmetal_mosher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 am

Urban Decay - Haze foundation.

This foundation is a powder that goes on like a liquid (or the other way round), and the assistant pretty much grabbed me and started telling about all the products. I have really oily skin and foundation just melts off my face. But the assistant told me that I need this foundation. She said it moisturises brilliantly and soaks up oil at the same time.

I thought fantastic, This could be it!

But no...it is awful.
Did literally the opposite. It did feel silky and I think that's the problem, there was no oil soaking going on at all. For someone who has better skin than myself it is probably perfect but I think I was 'had' by the assistant. I prefer to just choose products for myself and if I have a question then I will ask but I am better at choosing for myself. I also read a lot of reviews to help me decide. This foundation is now just sitting within my collection doing nothing.
Hello, I am in right now, but there is someone I dont want to speak to. If you are leaving a message and I don't answer the phone, then that person is you...

elektrik_sugar

Post by elektrik_sugar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:32 am

I hate to say this because i LOVE Make up for ever, but their smoky lash extra black mascara DIDNT make my lashes look any fuller and I had to apply soooo many coats before my lashes looked like mascara was on them. Not to mention, after a few months my mascara dried out & the brush became clumped together. Normally make up for ever has AMAZING product, but i was not impressed with this eyeliner!!

Annabelle smooth liner - waterproof + long lasting, doesnt do what it says at all. It doesnt go on smooth because you need to apply a few coats before the bottom of your lid is even black, This eye liner lasts only 3 hours before it smudges off and it isnt waterproof at all.

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Mac Select Cover Up

I have tried so much to like this concealer but I just can't do it. It just doesn't seem to go on, sit or look right. Maybe it's just my skin but I hate this stuff. It seems to highlight every imperfection. Under the eyes or concealing spots this makes everything look worst and cakey.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Nanou2 wrote:Mac Select Cover Up

I have tried so much to like this concealer but I just can't do it. It just doesn't seem to go on, sit or look right. Maybe it's just my skin but I hate this stuff. It seems to highlight every imperfection. Under the eyes or concealing spots this makes everything look worst and cakey.
I have the same problem when I use it as a concealer. It also seems to wear off pretty quickly, especially around the nose. But it makes a nice, light foundation if you mix it with moisturiser.

Edited: My spelling is terrible
Last edited by Phoenix on Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:08 pm

I also tried mixing it with a moisturiser. It seemed to have hardly any coverage that way. Around the nose is the worst area with this stuff. I give up with it.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:09 am

Collection 2000 Big Fake false lash effect mascara - £4.99

As a general rule, I love Collection 2000. Considering how cheap the products are, they're well pigmented and formulated and usually do what they set out to do.

Not this mascara. It claims to "plump and stretch each individual lash without clumping or smudging", and to "double your lash length in one fell swoop". For a start, the brush is HUGE. Not just big, but about an inch and a half long and a cm thick. I like being able to get into every little lash so this is already a problem. The width of the brush compared to the diameter of the tube opening means that nearly all the product gets wiped off instantly - good for stopping clumps, bad for actually getting any of the mascara on your lashes. It took a good four coats to make any kind of difference to my lashes and even then it was only that they were darker. Not the doubling in length promised to me, nor were they any more volumised.

The only plus I can give it is it did stay put all day with absolutely no smudge.

In fact, I totally take back what I said about it not smudging. It does, everywhere. I just couldn't tell because of my eyeliner yesterday.

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Coastal Scents Brushes-

Pink Kabuki Brush- Crap! This things sheds so much. I wish I didn't get pink. If it was black hairs at least I could see the hairs to pick off my face! Non stop shedding.

Destiny Duo Fibre Stippling Brush- DO NOT BUY THIS BRUSH It not only sheds like crazy but it leaves e all streaky. I actually used it once and chucked it! If it was a few dollars I wouldn't feel as bad.. but $8! Absolutely crap.

Revlon Photo finish powder- I guess I should have expected it.. Super chalky rubbish.

beccah

Post by beccah » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Barry M Dazzle Dust: Electric Blue

I've used this before and the other colours were great,but this electric blue doesn't go on properly at all. When applied with a brushover a primer,it leaves a faint hint of blue then a huge clump where you took the brush off. It smudges everywhere,and leaves caked lines too. Disappointing!

kaned_ferret

Post by kaned_ferret » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Max Factor smokey eye effect eyeshadow

This is the new duo eyeshadow sticks, with a lighter one for the lid, then a darker one to line and create a smokey effect when smudged in... I'm normally a huge fan of Max Factor, but this just doesn't cut it for me, it creased up after no time at all, and the effect I achieved wasn't half as dramatic as advertised, I mean it didn't look bad, and nice for everyday use, but no way would I use it to get that dramatic blended smokey eyes look (which I'm good at making with my powders, so I'll be sticking with them!) All in all, meh, basically! I wouldn't be surprised if this is one product they discontinue in fairly short order as I just don't think it's up to the same standard as the rest of their makeup. However, it was a total freebie with their Masterpiece Max mascara, which I was buying a new one of anyway, so bargain for that reason, and thank god quite frankly! :lol:

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”