Make-up *Positive Reviews*

Spooki

Re: Make-up *Positive Reviews*

Post by Spooki » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 pm

revlon photo ready foundation
it does have a bit of shimmer, for some people it may be too much but it gives me a nice healthy glow. the coverage is good, not sheer but not too heavy either. the palest shade doesn't make me look orange in the least and i like that it comes in a pump bottle so i can easily get the right amount of product out.

what impressed me most though was that it stood up to 4.5 hours of MOPP 4 and flak vest. except for where my gas mask rested on my nose it looked perfectly fine. it didn't effect the mask seal and didn't rub off on it. also, it didn't sweat off even though the sweat was pouring down my face and pooling in the nose piece. normally when i remove my mask my foundation is streaky and comes off completely where the rubber seal is. it was a pleasant surprise to not have to touch it up before going back to regular work.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Smashbox Photofinish Primer

I bought this having seen it recommended in a thread by VixenSingsBlack and needing to buy a primer. This is the third primer I have ever bought and, I have to say, I'm delighted with it. I bought the apricot-toned Blend version, designed to even out dark circles and skin tone.

It is a gorgeous consistency on the skin, just a tiny amount glides on and leaves my face feeling so smooth and silky. It makes my make-up go much further so I can use less and it stays feeling and looking wonderful until I want to take it off.

I have also used it alone, on top of my moisturiser and people tell me my skin looks great. I don't have bad skin by any means, but I'm certainly not accustomed to being complimented on it!
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:41 am

Spooki wrote:revlon photo ready foundation
it does have a bit of shimmer, for some people it may be too much but it gives me a nice healthy glow. the coverage is good, not sheer but not too heavy either. the palest shade doesn't make me look orange in the least and i like that it comes in a pump bottle so i can easily get the right amount of product out.

what impressed me most though was that it stood up to 4.5 hours of MOPP 4 and flak vest. except for where my gas mask rested on my nose it looked perfectly fine. it didn't effect the mask seal and didn't rub off on it. also, it didn't sweat off even though the sweat was pouring down my face and pooling in the nose piece. normally when i remove my mask my foundation is streaky and comes off completely where the rubber seal is. it was a pleasant surprise to not have to touch it up before going back to regular work.
+1, really good coverage and an impressive range of colours. For once I wasn't the lightest shade! Plus, no break outs and it didn't highlight my dry patches. :)
More human than human

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:20 pm

revlon calcium gel nail hardener
my nails are crap and i've tried tons of polishes, hardeners, strengtheners, etc and nothing has really done anything at all. this stuff actually makes my nails hard and strong. they don't bend backwards when i try to open a soda can! keeps them from peeling and really fills the grooves of my nails in well so i can get a smooth coat of polish on.

nyx jumbo eye pencil
when i put it on with the intention of using it as a black base for my eyeshadow my first though was "uh oh this is gonna crease so bad". it's like a grease pencil and smudged so easily. but combined with pixie epoxy it made a great base.

Nixxiie

Post by Nixxiie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 pm

:i2: Woooooooo. Time for reviews =)

No7 Shine Free Make-Up Base:

I love this. It's £10.75 methinks and I believe it's worth every penny. It does what it is supposed to do and doesn't make your skin look dull. I've heard some people say that it makes applying foundation harder but I haven't had this problem yet. You don't need too much of it either =)

No7 Limited Edition Jumbo MirrorBall Eyeshadow Pencil: Silver

When I first saw this I thought it was going to be rock hard and horrible. I don't like No7's normal eye liner pencils but I'm love with this. It literally glides on and looks great by itself or with eye shadow. It brightens your eyes really nicely. It's really pigmented so it's a true silver and not wishy washy. It blends like a dream too. The only thing I don't like is that it is limited edition and comes in another shade called Mink. £8.50

No7 Mineral Loose Powder Blusher: Soft Damson

I think this gives my cheeks a lovely natural looking glow. It comes with a little kabuki brush but I personally found it useless. I washed it twice and left it to condition to try and soften it but up meh. The only thing I don't like about is the fact it's a mineral... I don't like how messy it gets in the lid >.< I wish I had bought it in the compact form, but being in a rush I grabbed the mineral one. D'oh

Collection 2000 Perfect Finish Foundation

IMHO This is defiantly better than their other foundation that comes in the glass bottle. Although maybe it's just me but I found that it comes out a little darker for me. It goes on like a dream and looks great when you set it with a powder. Gives a medium coverage and to me it feels like my skin can still breath :D

HairAndStuff

Post by HairAndStuff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:06 am

I recently got gifted the "Shany Eyeshadow Palette, Bold and Bright Collection, Vivid, 120 Color".

I'm usually skeptical of products like these, especially when they're as inexpensive as this is ($25). But I have to say, it's amazing! I use an eyeshadow primer, religiously. Namely Micabella's eye primer. Don't let the price scare you, they're only $10 - $12 if you buy them at a kiosk, or if you haggle, you can get it for free if you buy a small bundle of their eye shadows (like I did).

I did a makeup tutorial for my website, as an excuse to put on makeup at 10 o'clock at night, and was blown away at the brightness and the staying power of their eyeshadow! I cried in it (don't ask lol) and slept in it and when I woke up the next morning, it looked like I had just put it on! When this palette runs out, I fully plan on buying it over again for myself. It has any color you can think of, and if you love bold, bright colors, this is for you!

"I was making someone more portable and found maybe 30 dollars in pennies in their stomach. People are sick." - Jhonen V.
Hair & Stuff.com - Like H&S on FaceBook

PirateQueen

Post by PirateQueen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Sleek Original i-Divine Mineral-based Eyeshadow Palette
I brought this from Ebay but it's the same one you can get on the Sleek website here http://www.sleekmakeup.com/en/products/ ... e-218.aspx.
Normally I'm strictly a loose mineral/pigment user for my eyes, but have to admit my myriad of little jars aren't exactly travel friendly, so for a while now I've been looking for a more practical alternative that I can carry with me. I decided to try one of Sleeks i-Divine palettes. I'm really very, very pleased with it!
The colours are rich, deep and highly pigmented,easy to apply and last well - great range of colours too. I love the slim, black case the shadows come in and the mirror in the lid is great. Not that keen on the spongy applicator thing, but I intended using my own brushes anyway.
I've already decided I'll probably buy a couple of the other palettes - probably the Acid, Chaos and Circus variants so it's a definite positive from me!

Nixxiie

Post by Nixxiie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Urban Decay Naked Palette

It's just beautiful and it works out to be a bargain.

12 eyeshadows. 1.3grams each fair enough they aren't full size but instead of being £13.00 each I think it's worth the £27.50

My favourite shades are Sin, Creep, Gunmetal, Virgin. :D

x

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:18 pm

For The Girls Lipgloss Lip Lounge - currently £4 from New Look

I picked this up today thinking if it's no good, it only cost £4. You get ten different shades ranging from neutrals to deep purple stopping off at bright pink and red. They go on really nicely and are not sticky at all like some cheap lipglosses are. The colours don't last that long but for £4 I wasn't expecting any kind of quality. They're well worth the cost.

PlasticHair

Post by PlasticHair » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:06 am

MUA - Make-up Academy (Superdrug)

I did a search , and I don't think anyone's put up a review yet.

I reccommend everyone check's out MUA in Superdrug. The range of make-up is pretty good, and everything is £1. Which makes it sound like it'd be super poor quality, I did tonnes of research, and I've watched a fair amount of reviews on Youtube before I brought anything from their range and i'm pretty impressed. Everything is £1.

The eyeshadows are definitley the best in the range, there's tonnes of them and they also come in matte, and pearl so it's pretty handy. They're also mostly all highly pigmented, and some reviews were compared some of their shade's to some of MAC's. I'd second that.

Their lipsticks are a bit hit and miss, and I brought a pale pink which was more of a lipgloss than a lipstick, yet I brought a bright pink lipstick that's really good, and I wear quite frequently.

Liquid Eyeliner's seem to be alright, the black one's not amazing, but the turquoise one is pretty good. Nonetheless it's not at all bad quality for £1.

- EDIT. I'd also like to back up I-Divine's palette's they're amazing for the price, i think they £6 or something, and yet again highly pigmented eyeshadows, however there is a little fall out.

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:39 am

I 2nd the MUA stuff. I got the brightest green eyeshadow in a swap and it's great. Bought a few more since and also a glitter liner, but havent tried it.

Superdruge is having a 3 for 2 on all make up atm (i think its still on)

Rimmel Clear Complexion - Transparent

I read the reviews on this on the boots website and seeing as its 3 for 2 on rimmel though id give it a go.

I've only used it once but I quite like it. Used it on its own without any foundation and it gives a light but good coverage.
Didnt use that much,just a few light dustings.
It only comes in one colour which I think is because its so light that it wouldnt make a difference.
But it definitely evens out your skin,covers redness and spots without being caked on and OTT looking.
Doesnt feel like foundation and it doesnt seem to come off if u touch your face.

I think it can be used to set foundation or give u a matte look

Rimmel Exagerate waterproof eye definer - noir

Bought this in the 3 for 2 too.
Its an extendable? eye pencil/crayon with a blender on the end
Seems to be really good for top liner and worked well on the hard to reach areas where I usually tend to get gaps(right on the lash line)
Its easier to put on than a kohl pencil.
i guess its maybe not great for really thin lines. But I like it
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Loreal true match - W1 porcelain

I bought this foundation in an emergency no make up situation and now use it quite often.

I use Lanacane as a primer and a mineral finishing powder. It looks natural and has good even coverage. It also stays on all day. No caking and no wearing off. They have some nice pale colours to choose from if you have fair skin.

It has to be used with a primer and powder.. I tried alone and it was terrible.

Lanacane Anti chafing as a primer! This stuff is amazing. I have used Mac's primer and they are basically the same, minus the price tag!

I have large pores and some acne scaring and this smooths out my skin and fills my pores better than anything. My make up goes on flawless and stays put all day.

Love it!

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:55 am

Clinique Superbalanced foundation - Alabaster

Love love love it. It has the perfect amount of coverage, but you can build it without it becoming cakey. The texture is beeeeautiful, it's fairly matte without being pasty or powdery. It even goes on nicely over my cheapo concealer. I've never liked a foundation this much, it makes my skin look pretty much perfect, but naturally so.

Just for reference, my skin is extremely combination (oily in some areas, eczema in others!) and it mattifies the oily areas and it hasn't aggravated my eczema, which is nice. I don't tend to get spots so I can't comment on how it would be on spotty skin. As for the shade, Alabaster is their palest one and it suits me perfectly. Whilst I'm not completely white, I am rather pale and I use SPF everyday so even more so nowadays.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Thought I'd review a couple of make up items I got for Christmas :D

Max Factor Masterpiece Max Mascara

I really love this, only been using it 3 days, but I'm hooked! It really makes your lashes long and thick, hasn't flaked off, I have nothing bad to say about it, its a really good mascara. I tried a few coats and it looked almost like I was wearing false lashes. The best mascara I've used in ages!

also

Avon supershock gel eyeliner.

its basically like a pencil eyeliner, goes on a lot smoother though, its very dark and doesn't budge at all. Love this too!

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Barry M- Lip Lacquer Crayon

I love these. I have 2, and they are all I will use on my lips for a night out. Glides on-fab colour, and is so easy to shape your lips how you like them. I use my crayons to create fuller lips. Colour lasts a good while, but will stain glasses/cups/collars etc.

Fake Bake Beyond Bronze Wash off Tan

Not strictly make-up but...I think this stuff is fab. If you dont want to spend £25 on tanning lotion AND look like you've been tango-ed then a bottle of this is £5-£8 (depending on Boot's offers) and washes off in your next shower. Im not used to using fake tan, but found this very easy to apply (use a mitt or gloves) and wasnt any streaks or patches. made my skin a lovely tanned tone for one night out. Still got plenty in the bottle

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 am

Almay skin-clearing foundation

So I've been using mineral foundation for years, but since stopping my birth control and adding in a healthy dose of stress to my living situation, my skin has been HORRIBLE and minerals aren't cutting it anymore when it comes to covering up my pretty severe acne and a lovely dose of new scarring -which I'm attributing to me being now in my 30s and my skin not having as much collagen or whatever to heal as quickly/properly. Anyway, I picked this stuff up in a skin emergency before New Years where I'd be going out and hoping to smooch a more-than-friend of mine at midnight (alas, fail) because I needed something with more coverage than my minerals. I love it. I'm using it in "Buff" which is the 2nd-lightest shade (and I'm VERY fair) and it matches my skin really well, which is amazing because whereas most fair-skinned people have pink undertones, I'm yellow/peach so most foundations that are light enough are totally a wrong undertone shade. This one suits me fine. That, and after using it for nearly a week, my skin is actually clearer. Coverage is good; it covers most of my scarring (both new and old) really well, although I do need a concealer as well for any current pimples I've got going on. Also need a dusting of powder over it because it's not exactly shiney, but not matte either (although I have disgustingly oily skin so this may be a factor as well). I've been loving my skin for the past week, and just saw some pics of me from New Years Eve and my skin looks flawless, and apparently this stuff photographs well too, because there's none of that weird flash-reflection that makes you look ghostly that can be such a problem if you have to wear heavy makeup to cover skin problems.

Oh, and it stood up to 6 hours at a revoltingly dirty warehouse rave, being drenched in sweat on the dance floor, and then another 6 hours of driving/running around in from New York City to Philadelphia. I'd say that's a win for cheap-ish (I think it was 13 bucks or so) drugstore foundation. I'd meant to just use it until I could get out to get something better, but I think I'll stick with it for now :)

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion

Ok, So this one has probably been mentioned before (I haven't read through the whole thread) But it's the only makeup product I have had that I feel deserves A review about. I got it yesterday, and tried it today. It is lovely to finally buy a product which does what it says on the tin! Put my makeup on in the morning and it lasted all day, totally no creasing, no eyeshadow movement, nothing. Even when i acidently rubbed my eye the eyeshadow didn't come off atall. It left me with a 'makeup just applied' feel all day which was nice. Definatly reccomend!

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:53 am

Face of Australia Primer for face (non-SPF)

With a name like that I'd assume this is only really applicable to us Aussie girls, but I hope it's helpful nonetheless.

This is exactly the same as Napoleon Perdis Autopilot. Reason being, they're made by the same company! Napoleon don't actually make products themselves, they have them all made by companies like YourName Cosmetics etc. Bit of a rip off given how extravagant their prices are hey! Lucky for us, FOA's brand sells for only $10 as opposed to $55-odd :)

It makes the gigantic pores on my cheeks disappear, evens up my skin tone and leaves a lovely base for my foundation. It makes it last much longer too! Fantastic stuff. I've tried a lot of primers and this one beats them all. It's the cheapest one too :D

Ulta 3 nailpolishes

Another one for Aussie girls only, sorry. Nail polishes that rival OPI for only $2 a pop, love it. Sooo many colours too. I'm wearing Spring Shower and Eighties Fuchsia religiously :D I haven't encountered any that are particularly difficult to apply, and I have about *cough* 55 in my collection thus far.
More human than human

kyandii

Post by kyandii » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 am

Rimmel Lash Accelerator.
amazing!
this stuff is AMAZING.
it makes lashes look so long and gorgeous. The brush is thin so it's easy to get every lash. It applys amazingly even over lash primer.
I think it's supposed to help your lashes grow as well

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 am

kyandii wrote:Rimmel Lash Accelerator.
amazing!
this stuff is AMAZING.
it makes lashes look so long and gorgeous. The brush is thin so it's easy to get every lash. It applys amazingly even over lash primer.
I think it's supposed to help your lashes grow as well
I second this, great mascara!

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Coastal Scents - Liquid HD Foundation in ST-01

This shade matches my nc15 skin perfectly. I use over a primer. This is my new best liquid foundation. I can even use it just on my eye as a dark circle concealer. It has good coverage and is easy to build coverage without it looking caked. It has a medium thick consistency but is easy to blend.

The only bad thing about this is the packaging. It has a pump and after sitting there for a few mins pumping away waiting for the stuff to start flowing I opened the top and saw there was no tube connecting the pump to the foundation! I checked and couldn't find one that had fell down either.

Apart from having to open it up every time (Which is no big deal) I absolutely love it!

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:52 pm

MAC Fluidline gel liner in Blacktrack

Roller derby proof. Nuff said.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 am

Sleek Eyeshadow Palettes

I got the 'Storm' palette recently, and I was so impressed I went back and got the 'Original' :)

You get 12 eyeshadows and its around £7 per palette, the shadows themselves are shimmery, and matte. They are pretty highly pigmented (more than I expected) and last well, you also get a decent selection of colours. They also blend and go on nicely. These two had the sort of colours I'd wear, there was a more neon palette too, and another couple I just didn't fancy the colours.

Really recommend these :D

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:57 pm

ShadowThrone wrote:Sleek Eyeshadow Palettes

I got the 'Storm' palette recently, and I was so impressed I went back and got the 'Original' :)

You get 12 eyeshadows and its around £7 per palette, the shadows themselves are shimmery, and matte. They are pretty highly pigmented (more than I expected) and last well, you also get a decent selection of colours. They also blend and go on nicely. These two had the sort of colours I'd wear, there was a more neon palette too, and another couple I just didn't fancy the colours.

Really recommend these :D
I've had one of these pallettes for a couple of years. I think cuz the brand was originally designed for asian/black skin they are pigmented with that in mind. With a primer they last all day on my eyelids (from 6am til I go to bed), with a small amount of creasing. They also sell separate jars of loose shadow which last just as long.

cherrybombdreads

Post by cherrybombdreads » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 am

Eyeko Big Eyes Mascara

LOVE IT. I've tried numerous mascara and never found one that gave the lashes I wanted. I've always found most mascara goes on alrite, but in a few hours time my eyelashes are drooping and not looking very black any more.
I stumbled across eyeko and decided to take a risk and try it. I now don't know what I'd do without it! You get LOADS for your money, it's a deep black, my lashes look huge, and even after 12 hours my lashes still look long and lovely!
It's most deffo one of my make up bag staples now! Also if you do decide to try it, if you put E3114 into the ambassador code box at checkout you recieve a free gift! It's a full size makeup item too, not some tiny trial or anything!
http://www.cherrybombdreads.webs.com High Quality Roving and Synthetic Dreads!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”