Help please, moisturiser problem

ScarletLady

Help please, moisturiser problem

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:49 pm

i don't know if anyone here can help but here's my problem...

my skin has a tendency to dry on my forehead, cheeks and round my nose. I've tried so many different moisturisers and they seem to work fine for the first week or two but then the more i seem to use them the more they dry my skin out. i've tried all sorts from cheap vitamin E etc to clinique dramitically different and lots of nivea and garnier ones. I've recently bought skin drink from lush to see if that helps and the same thing has happened. it was lovely for the first week but now my skin is back to being dry after i use it. it's ok for an hour after but then it drys out. I don't use talc based foundation and i moisturise every morning and every evening - i've even tried rich night creams.

the only moisturise i've found that works is one from lancome but at ove £30 a pot i'd rather try a cheap alternative...

i don't smoke and have a good diet...i don't have dry skin anywhere else

any ideas at all??? aside from not ever wearing foundation and moisturising my face every couple of hours :roll:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Mistress Bizzarre

Re: Help please, moisturiser problem

Post by Mistress Bizzarre » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 pm

The problem might be that you're using moisturiser too much. I had the same problem as you and it was because i was constantly using moisturiser and letting my skin think it didn't have to moisturise itself.

The more moisturiser you use, the more lazy your skin gets at doing the job itself.

Your skin knows when it's dry and will eventually balance itself out with some time and patience.

I would try that sweetie, see if it works, and drink plenty of water too (very important as dry skin is a clear sign of dehydration)

I know it's uncomfortable and sometimes painful, if the skin cracks and in this case, try using a medicated cream (just on the sore parts) like sudocreme.

Definately try having nothing at all on your skin at bedtime..this is the best time for skin to heal and balance itself out.

Hope that helps.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:26 pm

thing is tho if i don't moisturise after i wash/take makeup off my skin feels so tight. shall i just tough it out for a few days and see if it helps?

i should really drink more water - my diets good generally i don't eat junk food or anything but i'm a bit lazy when it comes to water :roll:

* Queen of Tangents*

Mistress Bizzarre

Post by Mistress Bizzarre » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Yeah, just try and stick it out at bedtime mainly as that's when the body heals itself mostly.

It only took a couple of days before i noticed any difference and it was a good, drastic difference :)

Try multivitamins and minerals too. I started taking Sanatogen gold and that helped a massive amount.

:)

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 pm

ok thanks :D
been trying to sort this out for years and all the time i may have been making it worse :roll:

* Queen of Tangents*

Neon Black

Post by Neon Black » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:56 pm

My skin is terribly dry, and no amount of moisturising seems to help. But not moisturising for a couple of days makes it 10 times worse! Leave it any longer than that and it starts to crack and bleed.. nice :roll:

I find the best thing for mine is to use a gentle exfoliating scrub 3-4 times a week, and make sure to moisturise twice a day (I just use Simple moisturiser, their one for really dry skin, as it's the only thing I find doesn't sting like hell! Though I have a virgin V vitamin C night cream that stings a little but works great!).
Especially in winter it gets very dry and very sore, so sometimes I have to put something stonger on it when it breaks, cold weather and central heating make it a lot worse :(

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 pm

What most people don't realise is that you really do have to use a product for a month before you decide it doesn't work. It takes 18-24 days for your average woman under the age of 30's skin to 'regenerate'. So while you do this routine you will still have problem skin, but after the month your 'new skin' will not have the same problem.
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Neon Black wrote:central heating make it a lot worse :(
You should put a bowl of water where you sit frequently. E.g. If I was to do it, it would be in my room cuz I live in here. Its not just central heating what sucks moisture from your skin, its your walls taking the moisture. If you have a bowl of water it will take the moisture from there and not your skin. :)
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:43 pm

What cleanser do you use? If your skin feels tight after washing it might be an idea to switch. Ultrabland (Lush) is a bloody miracle. It literally feels like you've washed your face with nothing, but it's still clean.

Other than that I mostly second what Lorny said :)
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

Neon Black

Post by Neon Black » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Lorny wrote:
Neon Black wrote:central heating make it a lot worse :(
You should put a bowl of water where you sit frequently. E.g. If I was to do it, it would be in my room cuz I live in here. Its not just central heating what sucks moisture from your skin, its your walls taking the moisture. If you have a bowl of water it will take the moisture from there and not your skin. :)
Our house had a real condensation problem, so much so the walls drip with water half the time so it's certainly not the walls making my skin dry ;)

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:14 pm

iamdolleyes posted this in one of my threads and I think it might help you:
iamdolleyes wrote:you could just use a bit of pure cocoa butter as your base oil and then follow up with a lotion as suggested. melt the chunks/flakes in a glass container in your microwave until it's liquid and let it cool a bit, then it's very easy to rub in. cocoa butter in solid form will melt at body temp, but if your skin is really raw you might not want the friction

i don't mean palmers, i mean stuff you get from soap/body supply (even try etsy i guess)

for your face that might be a little heavy..see if you can get a hold of some olive squaline (squalane? it's one of the two..make sure it says olive, the other comes from shark!) and rub that in and then your regular moisturizer.

it might be easier to get you paws on some jojoba oil though...but only if your skin is very very very dry (like bad flaking on the face, etc) and mix a drop of it into your moisturizer. jojoba most closely resembles sebum chemically, so it will work to help against the flaking. just don't use a lot, just the drop in the moisturizer will be fine
if you've ever had skin flaking from benzoil peroxide, this stuff helps it loads

let me know if you want any links..i have bought most of this stuff raw before, but there's a canadian company who makes a serum from the olive squaline already in a bottle i can go find again..

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:50 am

thanks everyone for your input...

i use all lush stuff...babyface to take my makeup off...then normally angels on bare skin as a scrub...then eau roma toner followed by skin drink.

i must admit tho - i tried not moisturising last night and altho my skin was tight after i'd cleansed as soon as i used the toner it stopped feeling tight straight away...

i'll stick with my routine a bit longer see if it levels itself out - its not SUPER dry like some people have mentioned...it's just dry enough to look annoying and make my foundation looke flaky after a while...

* Queen of Tangents*

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”