MAC cosmetic's recycling policy

KelsieStars

MAC cosmetic's recycling policy

Post by KelsieStars » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:54 pm

I've just been looking on the Lush Forum and noticed someone saying that if you return a certain number of empty MAC containers, you get a free lipstick (similar to Lush's policy on returning their tubs). I though that sounded a little too good to be true.....but it is true!

This is taken from the MAC website:

Because we share your commitment to the environment, M·A·C accepts returns of its primary packaging through the Back to M·A·C Program. By returning six [6] M·A·C primary packaging containers to a M·A·C counter, you will receive a free M·A·C Lipstick of your choice as our thanks to you. Since 100% of the retail selling proceeds of Viva Glam Lipstick is provided to organizations that help people living with HIV/AIDS, these colours are excluded from this program.

In countries where it is permissible, the returned packaging is forwarded to appropriate waste management centres to recycle/reuse through energy recovery. M·A·C will continue to explore alternative means of waste disposal in all markets.

Most primary packaging of M·A·C products is accepted as Back to M·A·C "currency." M·A·C does not accept the following as a part of the program:

1. Secondary packaging of any sort [paper box, plastic/cellophane wrapper, shopping bags, etc.]

2. Samples [sample containers, special/trial size products for promotional/seasonal kits]

3.Cosmetic applicators/tools [disposables, puffs, sponges, scissors, spatulas, swabs, sharpeners, tweezers, curlers]

4. Accessories [bags, belts, makeup cases, lashes, Blot Film].

In addition to our "Back to M·A·C Program," M·A·C uses minimal packaging and recycled paper to paperboard packaging in our offices, manufacturing and distribution facilities. Vegetable-based inks are used for printing whenever possible. At M·A·C we share your concerns about the environment and we are continually looking for ways to address those concerns while providing our customers with complete product satisfaction and safety.

:D

I figured that this would be a fabulous nugget of info to share with you lovely ladies!! I'm certainly going to be saving my foundation and eye shadow containers now!!

MissAnthropik

Re: MAC cosmetic's recycling policy

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:57 pm

yeah, i have my empties ready to take back in, just wish you got an eyeshadow though. I think in USA you get to choose eyeshadow or lipstick, and i pretty much never wear lipstick. Still, could sell it on ebay i suppose.
telling it like it is!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Is a primary container a foundation bottle or something?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Or their squeezy tubes like paints or their select cover up?

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:30 pm

I'd assume it means the actual make up packaging rather than the cardboard boxes, or replacement pans etc

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Primary packaging is anything that is made from plastic or glass which can be recycled, such as lipstick tubes, concealer squeezeys, eyeshadow pots (not pro-pans), foundation bottles etc. I regularly B2M my eyebrow pencil as its an automatic plastic one and not a wooden one and I go through about 4 a year. Strangely they also accept the plastic packaging from MAC facial wipes if you use those. It does not include the auxiliary packaging like cardboard boxes or plastic sleeves for brushes.

Be warned though, they started to crack down on this a lot a couple of years ago and now a lot of places won't accept eyeshadow or blush packaging without the metal pans included, so you if you depot and just return the burned plastic without the shadow pan they might say no.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:56 am

Dystopatica wrote:Primary packaging is anything that is made from plastic or glass which can be recycled, such as lipstick tubes, concealer squeezeys, eyeshadow pots (not pro-pans), foundation bottles etc.

This is what I understood it to be too.

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”