why does my Skin change ?

Miss_Panda

why does my Skin change ?

Post by Miss_Panda » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:51 pm

After my other post a while ago, I was suggested that i stop using liquid foundation and move onto mineral. I have done that yet my skin still seems oily!? when i've applied it. I am using urban decays mineral foundation (the new one that has came out..i think it's new?) http://www.urbandecay.com/categories/MineralMakeup.cfm

It says that it is 'perfect for even the most sensitive skin, oily or dry. ' so I'd decided to go with that one..also it suggests i use SPF 'We recommend using oil-free SPF 15 lotion daily underneath.'
So i am using my piz buin face sun cream for sensitive skin, however mine is 50 SPF not 15, but my skin burns very easily as I'm quite pale so decided to use that. After researching many moisturizers with SPF in i thought this one would be the best as it said it was oil free when i searched on the net correct me if I'm wrong.

Yet I seem to be experiencing my lil break outs around my chin and the odd one on my cheek -_- I do also use GOSH primer onto of the moisturizer as it does say on the bottle use after moisturizing. Could it be the primer making my skin oily? or the Piz Buin as i did read the back of the face sun cream but didn't see anything about it oil free/or on their website (have been looking on online reviews other online stores that stock it, oh and it's not meant to clog pores either) one of the reason why i purchased it :lol: as my skin is dry normally and not oily at all so not sure which is causing the oily/shiny face problem.

I no you can buy blotting face sheets, but then I'd have to re apply the mineral foundation and I didn't really want to keep re doing that throughout the day, I'm wanting a matt finish.

Lastly tbh Uban Decays mineral foundation i got in illusion is a bit too dark for me, and that's their lightest shade they stock..is there another mineral make-up brand you can suggest that have more choice of shades..I was thinking MAC but I dunno what shade i am, and don't live near a MAC counter otherwise I'd go. Been trying to work it out online but still unsure. All I no it that I have yellow undertones, going by my neck is that what I'm meant to be matching the shades too?
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

MrsEss

Re: why does my Skin change ?

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:05 pm

I could be wrong but if it doesn't say oil free on it, then it will more than likely have oil in it. I have to read the labels very carefully as I've had oily skin on my face for many, many years - if it doesn't say "for oil/problem skin" or "oil free" on it, I won't buy it.

It also sounds like you're putting quite a few layers on your face....perhaps all of them are partly to blame?

I've jsut done a goole for spf 50 oil free & this came up: http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/sunsense ... 32098.html

piz buin says sweat & water resistant, so could possibly be clogging your pores.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Yea it might be..it just my skin is dry normally/normal before applying the make-up, should i stop using the primer all together? and just use a moisturizer?
It could be the piz buin..but i did read online that it was non non-comedogenic and that means it doesn't clog pores seen on here -

http://www.mayfairexport.com/product_in ... cts_id=296

http://www.superdrug.com/SPF10+Above-Su ... nvt/157392

so surely it can't be the sun cream?

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:54 pm

I use meow cosmetics mineral foundation - it's the only one I've found that can match my skin tone. They have 3 different coverage levels plus they make primer as well as concealer to match every shade of foundation. I have VERY oily skin that also gets inexplicably dry sometimes (I will never understand how I can be shiny AND flaky, wtf) so I understand about the constant battling to not look all gross. Here's my routine:

wash with Avalon Organics Vitamin C cleansing gel in a.m.
exfoliate daily with Derma E fruit enzyme face scrub (it has sea salt in it which can help with breakouts)
moisturize with Avalon Organics Vitamin C daily moisturizer (spf 15) let that soak in while I do body sunscreen (I bet I could rival you in pale-ness; I slather on sunscreen head to toe every day) and brush my teeth
Meow cosmetics oily skin primer
meow cosmetics full coverage mineral foundation (the full coverage makes my skin look relatively good unless I'm having a VERY bad skin day; either way I use the matching concealer, sometimes a bit here and there, sometimes quite a bit to cover redness and blemishes)
meow cosmetics finishing powder stuff

I had the same problem as you with the blotting sheets taking off the mineral foundation - my solution was (and yeah, maybe it's gross to put ANOTHER layer on there but whatever) using tarte mineral pressed powder as a last step over everything above and it keeps everything in place all day. I blot with the papers a couple of times throughout the day and I usually don't have to touch up unless I've got a really heinous pimple or something.

Nighttime I take off eye makeup with crappy Target waterproof eye makeup remover, cleanse again with the Avalon Organics gel, and use Derma E intensive Ester-C lotion on my face, and dab pure shea butter around my eyes, neck, chest (well, whole body for that matter) and the lovely horizontal forehead lines I'm getting right by my hairline.

Oh, and once a week I do a clay mask to suck all the crap out of my pores.

It's a lot (and it's expensive to put that much @#$% on my face every day) but I get compliments on my skin now from people. Funny...because it's only because I have my skincare/makeup routine down to a freaking science; my actual skin is sensitive and gets red really easily and I have a lot of acne scarring from my teenage years. I've been dealing with crappy skin for 18 years now so I guess I'm pretty good at faking it by now though.

Just remember: people with more oil in their skin tend to show signs of aging later in life. At least we win at something :)

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:20 am

You shouldn't *really* use regular sunblock on your face as it as it's not formulated to be light enough for the delicate skin on your face.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:39 pm

starlotus wrote:I use meow cosmetics mineral foundation - it's the only one I've found that can match my skin tone. They have 3 different coverage levels plus they make primer as well as concealer to match every shade of foundation. I have VERY oily skin that also gets inexplicably dry sometimes (I will never understand how I can be shiny AND flaky, wtf) so I understand about the constant battling to not look all gross. Here's my routine:

wash with Avalon Organics Vitamin C cleansing gel in a.m.
exfoliate daily with Derma E fruit enzyme face scrub (it has sea salt in it which can help with breakouts)
moisturize with Avalon Organics Vitamin C daily moisturizer (spf 15) let that soak in while I do body sunscreen (I bet I could rival you in pale-ness; I slather on sunscreen head to toe every day) and brush my teeth
Meow cosmetics oily skin primer
meow cosmetics full coverage mineral foundation (the full coverage makes my skin look relatively good unless I'm having a VERY bad skin day; either way I use the matching concealer, sometimes a bit here and there, sometimes quite a bit to cover redness and blemishes)
meow cosmetics finishing powder stuff

I had the same problem as you with the blotting sheets taking off the mineral foundation - my solution was (and yeah, maybe it's gross to put ANOTHER layer on there but whatever) using tarte mineral pressed powder as a last step over everything above and it keeps everything in place all day. I blot with the papers a couple of times throughout the day and I usually don't have to touch up unless I've got a really heinous pimple or something.

Nighttime I take off eye makeup with crappy Target waterproof eye makeup remover, cleanse again with the Avalon Organics gel, and use Derma E intensive Ester-C lotion on my face, and dab pure shea butter around my eyes, neck, chest (well, whole body for that matter) and the lovely horizontal forehead lines I'm getting right by my hairline.

Oh, and once a week I do a clay mask to suck all the crap out of my pores.

It's a lot (and it's expensive to put that much @#$% on my face every day) but I get compliments on my skin now from people. Funny...because it's only because I have my skincare/makeup routine down to a freaking science; my actual skin is sensitive and gets red really easily and I have a lot of acne scarring from my teenage years. I've been dealing with crappy skin for 18 years now so I guess I'm pretty good at faking it by now though.

Just remember: people with more oil in their skin tend to show signs of aging later in life. At least we win at something :)
That's a good planned out routine you've got ^^ I will look up that mineral foundation you suggest and go from there :D
Bomber wrote:You shouldn't *really* use regular sunblock on your face as it as it's not formulated to be light enough for the delicate skin on your face.
I don't use regular sunblock on my face :lol: I use one for my face ^^

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Woah so many choices 0_0 no idea what shade i need, least they have sample option phew :o

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Oh dear, oh dear. You don't seem to have much luck, do you?

I think you're using too much crap on your face, to be honest. If you're skin is dry/normal and suddenly it becomes oily then it has to be the products. I think using the primer is too much, as I use that one and find my skin to be a tad shinier. The Piz Buin may not clog pores, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have oil. If it doesn't say oil-free then as DSM said, it most likely does. Products for oily skin do contain an oily substance still as your skin needs it to maintain the balance. They are 'oil in water' products as opposed to 'water in oil' products for dry skin.

Factor 50 is no different to factor 30 either. Don't ask me the whats and the whys, but as I've mentioned before I have a 'family member' who works at the top for Garnier and that's what he's said. Factor 30 is 'lighter' and works just the same as 50.

I had problems with Piz Buin before but now I use the Boots own brand face sun cream with just a powder foundation and I find it to not make me break out at all and I have oily skin.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:35 pm

no i don't seem too :(
ah ok i will stop using the primer and get a new moisturizer, is this the sun cream you use? http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Expert-Se ... 0ml_34570/

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:25 pm

No that is a daily moisturiser, and I don't think they contain UVA and UVB filters like regular sun cream? The stuff I use is http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Face-SPF-30-50ml_35559/ and I use that along with my Lush moisturiser. I put the toner on my face and while it is wet I use the tiniest amount of moisturiser (probably less than pea size) cuz the wetness allows it to spread a lot more evenly.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:34 pm

oh ok then ^^ thank you now to look for a good toner x

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Miss_Panda wrote:Woah so many choices 0_0 no idea what shade i need, least they have sample option phew :o

That's why I like them though - like other makeup companies, wtf, women are only supposed to come in 5-10 colors??? I was always that girl with the foundation that didn't quite match before I found that site (someone on the old incarnation of this forum suggested it to me, actually) because most foundations are either not light enough for me, or else the light shade always has pink undertones (I guess most pasty people are pinkish) while I'm more yellow/peach. I use the sleek chartreux color and it's perfect. I was actually surprised when I ordered all the samples to find my correct color that the lightest (inquisitive) was actually TOO light for me. I'm seriously the palest person I've ever seen so I can't imagine anyone quite that light-skinned!

Oh, and just an aside - for anyone who suffers from acne, I honestly think acne products make your skin worse. I tried every single one under the sun in the past and always had problems with my skin. Finally I just got sick of putting gross chemicals all over my face and I started using all natural skincare and makeup and my breakouts are SO much less frequent (even now that I'm off the BC). I swear, that stuff is like an evil scam to make you keep breaking out so you keep buying more or something...and most of it is horrible for your skin.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:16 pm

I went all natural with Lush and it didn't clear my skin like Clean n Clear did. I'd prefer to keep away from chemicals but it's so bloody hard to find products that work. This stuff definitely isn't making it worse though or else I'd have stopped a long time ago. I have noticed such a big difference in my skin both clearing up and tightening pores. I just need to find a natural product which works as well.

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Lush isn't actually all natural... If you read their ingredients, you'll find a bunch of chemicals in it. I won't use their shampoos because of the sodium laureth sulfate they add. Vanishing Cream is a saviour for my skin however!

Anyway, what has helped my skin the most is adopting a more healthy diet. I pretty much live off fruit and vegetables now, and drink a LOT of water (at least 3 litres a day). For some reason my skin has been less and less oily since adopting a healthier diet, and all those stupid tiny bumps have gone. Just giant pores left now :lol: I have no idea what your diet is like, but if you don't get enough fruit, veg and water, it can cause all sorts of skin woes!

I haven't had luck with mineral foundation at all. I think what might be best for you is using a primer powder and finishing powder like the ones by Fyrinnae with a liquid foundation that is oil-free and non-comedogenic. The primer powder and finishing powder gives me a nice matte finish. I use one by Bourjous because they make light foundation that actually matches my somewhat olive complexion, which is rare as most cosmetics companies seem to think that if you're pale, you also have pink undertones... Not sure if it's oil-free but it doesn't break me out. Also, since you get breakouts mainly on your chin and cheek, it could possible be caused by the way you sleep - do you sleep on your side/stomach?

Sorry if this post seems all over the place, I'm really tired lol. I can sympathise with the skin troubles though!
More human than human

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:31 pm

tazzyface wrote:Lush isn't actually all natural... If you read their ingredients, you'll find a bunch of chemicals in it. I won't use their shampoos because of the sodium laureth sulfate they add. Vanishing Cream is a saviour for my skin however!
I think I went on their site once and some stuff had parabens in it too, which was disappointing. I never heard about Lush until I heard about it from you ladies and the products look so nice, but parabens are horrible for your skin and may cause cancer and accelerated aging. And me personally I think I have an allergy/sensitivity to them because if I use a product that contains them I break out in a weird rash. That's why I use all natural products now - eye makeup and stuff doesn't seem to bother me, but anything that goes on my face/body/hair has to be natural because one day 3 years ago I started randomly breaking out in this huge fast-spreading rash all over my body and as soon as I switched to all-natural body wash/face wash/shampoo/etc. it went away and any time I've messed with my skincare routine since then I've paid for it. Sucks too, because my mom sells makeup and skin care stuff (Mary Kay) and I would get so much free stuff from her if I didn't have this problem!

Oh, and if you have super sensitive skin, you might try Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. It's actually a soap-free cleanser that only has like 5 ingredients, mostly hemp and olive oils. It lathers like crazy so a bottle lasts forever, you can use it on face/body/hair and I've even used it on laundry and pets as well and it's biodegradable/completely non-toxic too so it's good for camping or outdoors-y stuff.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:11 pm

starlotus wrote:
Miss_Panda wrote:Woah so many choices 0_0 no idea what shade i need, least they have sample option phew :o

That's why I like them though - like other makeup companies, wtf, women are only supposed to come in 5-10 colors??? I was always that girl with the foundation that didn't quite match before I found that site (someone on the old incarnation of this forum suggested it to me, actually) because most foundations are either not light enough for me, or else the light shade always has pink undertones (I guess most pasty people are pinkish) while I'm more yellow/peach. I use the sleek chartreux color and it's perfect. I was actually surprised when I ordered all the samples to find my correct color that the lightest (inquisitive) was actually TOO light for me. I'm seriously the palest person I've ever seen so I can't imagine anyone quite that light-skinned!

Oh, and just an aside - for anyone who suffers from acne, I honestly think acne products make your skin worse. I tried every single one under the sun in the past and always had problems with my skin. Finally I just got sick of putting gross chemicals all over my face and I started using all natural skincare and makeup and my breakouts are SO much less frequent (even now that I'm off the BC). I swear, that stuff is like an evil scam to make you keep breaking out so you keep buying more or something...and most of it is horrible for your skin.
Yea I have yellow/peach undertones too, all the ones i've used have a pinky undertone as could never find a yellow undertone foundation. I stopped using face washes for spots etc as i found they made no difference to my skin either, yet worse lol.
tazzyface wrote:Lush isn't actually all natural... If you read their ingredients, you'll find a bunch of chemicals in it. I won't use their shampoos because of the sodium laureth sulfate they add. Vanishing Cream is a saviour for my skin however!

Anyway, what has helped my skin the most is adopting a more healthy diet. I pretty much live off fruit and vegetables now, and drink a LOT of water (at least 3 litres a day). For some reason my skin has been less and less oily since adopting a healthier diet, and all those stupid tiny bumps have gone. Just giant pores left now :lol: I have no idea what your diet is like, but if you don't get enough fruit, veg and water, it can cause all sorts of skin woes!

I haven't had luck with mineral foundation at all. I think what might be best for you is using a primer powder and finishing powder like the ones by Fyrinnae with a liquid foundation that is oil-free and non-comedogenic. The primer powder and finishing powder gives me a nice matte finish. I use one by Bourjous because they make light foundation that actually matches my somewhat olive complexion, which is rare as most cosmetics companies seem to think that if you're pale, you also have pink undertones... Not sure if it's oil-free but it doesn't break me out. Also, since you get breakouts mainly on your chin and cheek, it could possible be caused by the way you sleep - do you sleep on your side/stomach?

Sorry if this post seems all over the place, I'm really tired lol. I can sympathise with the skin troubles though!
I live on the same fruit/vegetables and water is mainly all i eat, i rarely eat chocolate and crisps or fizzy drinks probably once a week :lol: I used to have super oily skin too but it may be down to my healthy diet it made it not oily anymore. I normally sleep on my side some times on my back and occasionally on my stomach (i sleep on all sides :lol: )
I'm going to give the mineral foundation another go in the right shade now i no were to buy it from ^^ I've always found it hard to find a liquid foundation that is oil-free and non-comedogenic though not seen one yet :P
starlotus wrote:
I think I went on their site once and some stuff had parabens in it too, which was disappointing. I never heard about Lush until I heard about it from you ladies and the products look so nice, but parabens are horrible for your skin and may cause cancer and accelerated aging. And me personally I think I have an allergy/sensitivity to them because if I use a product that contains them I break out in a weird rash. That's why I use all natural products now - eye makeup and stuff doesn't seem to bother me, but anything that goes on my face/body/hair has to be natural because one day 3 years ago I started randomly breaking out in this huge fast-spreading rash all over my body and as soon as I switched to all-natural body wash/face wash/shampoo/etc. it went away and any time I've messed with my skincare routine since then I've paid for it. Sucks too, because my mom sells makeup and skin care stuff (Mary Kay) and I would get so much free stuff from her if I didn't have this problem!

Oh, and if you have super sensitive skin, you might try Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. It's actually a soap-free cleanser that only has like 5 ingredients, mostly hemp and olive oils. It lathers like crazy so a bottle lasts forever, you can use it on face/body/hair and I've even used it on laundry and pets as well and it's biodegradable/completely non-toxic too so it's good for camping or outdoors-y stuff.
Oh crumbs 0_0 i never knew about this 'but parabens are horrible for your skin and may cause cancer and accelerated aging' that has made me more aware now about checking Lush's ingredients.
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap i will have a look for that too, sounds good to me and you can use it on pets!? my little Bichon has sensitive skin too so if it can be used on pets too i may try a little bit on her ^^

Thank you for all your help ^^ if anyone has any more advice please let me know x

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:58 pm

^^^there's different kinds; I would use the un-scented/gentle kind on pets and make sure you dilute it with lots of water in the bath because it's very concentrated. But yeah, I used it on my kitties before even when they were very little.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:38 pm

ah awesome will try it ^^

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am

@Miss_Panda: Good to hear that you're eating well, some doctors and dermatologists say that diet doesn't affect skin but I think that's a load of crap, you are what you eat! I sleep on all sides too (have to turn around heaps to get comfortable :lol:) but if I sleep on my chin it tends to make me break out. It could be a bit of a long shot but make sure your pillow is clean too :)

@Starlotus: Some of their stuff does have parabens in it, in fact the cream I use does, it is VERY disappointing. For the price you'd expect so much better. I'm slowly switching to all natural skin care and makeup because I don't really feel the need to put all that crap on my face!
More human than human

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:24 pm

ah yes I will always make sure it is :D

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”