combination/fussy skin help

[Phexxie]

combination/fussy skin help

Post by [Phexxie] » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:14 pm

recently, ive been really unhappy with the condition of my skin

ive always had combination skin, which changes from being oily to dry literally within a few hours! my T zone is generally oily down my nose, but then dry around the tip and nostrils and a little dry on my forehead occasionally
sometimes, my cheeks are dry, sometimes theyre oily, same goes for my chin
ive had what looks like tiny blackheads all around my nose for as long as i can remember, because NOTHING seems to get rid of them, im guessing it might just be enlarged pores?

ive also noticed enlarged pores on my cheeks, and my forehead seems to have lots of tiny little bumps, like little spots but skin coloured with no redness or 'head'

i also have terrible dark circles, probably from lack of sleep, thats not going to change any time soon as ive just started a new job and im working full time early start hours

i already moisturise near enough every morning and i try to remember to take off my makeup and moisturise again before bed too, im currently using a cucumber moisturizer from boots most of the time
ive been looking around here and online for tips and tricks and ive found a few things i want to try out, but because my skin is so tempermental and always different, i really dont know what would be the best products or techniques to use
plus, im on a seriously tight budget!

help? lol

Nanou2

Re: combination/fussy skin help

Post by Nanou2 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:11 pm

If you have enlarged pores there isn't anything you can do to get rid of them. You can temporarily make them smaller. This is also good for clearing the pores and ridding blackheads.

Steam your face. You can simply do this with a bowl of boiling water and a towel over your head. You can also use the steam from the shower. If you want to do this quickly everyday just run hot water over a face cloth and hold it on your face.

You will see in the mirror your pores seem even larger. The heat opens the pores.

Next clean your face with your usual face wash. Then use a toner. Tea tree water/ rose water or even cold green tea is a natural astringent.

Once you have done all this you need to close the pores back up with cold water/ ice.

Run a face cloth under freezin water and hold it to your face or you can rub ice cubes over your skin. You can even go as far to make green tea ice cubes!

This should clean your pores and make them tighter as they are oil free!

I can't help you with the combination skin. I get the same thing. I can gret really dry flakey skin if I don't moisturise before bed for a few days. And get really oily skin if I over do the moisturiser! I just find a balance.

Have you tried an oil free moisturiser?

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Drink lots of water ;)

But really...
I've got very odd combination skin and I don't drink enough water, I also consume way too much coffee and never seem to grab enough sleep! It's really important to cleanse before you go to bed, I use those super cheap wipes (2 for 97p) from Wilkinsons which are a 3-in-1 with a bit of Lidl facial moisturiser :lol: When I can be bothered I use a hot flannel to open the pores up, then give my face a good rub down with some cotton wool pads and Tesco Vitamin E tonor followed by the bargainous Lidl cream. It seems to help a lot with pore size if I manage to do that a couple of times a week.
Total cost per month: Approx. 60p :D

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:49 pm

hehe, i use those same wipes! theyre fab :D

as far as im aware, my moisturiser is oil free, it doesnt say either or on the tub, but it does say 'for all skin types' which i figured would be best as my skin changes so much

ill give those ideas a go though, and ill be steaming my face as often as i can too

thanks for the tips girls :D

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 am

I feel like I recommend this too much, but Herbalism by Lush to wash your face with! I've been using it almost 2 years now and its totally changed my skin, with is combination. I was still getting more spots than I'd like, into my twenties, but its so rare now. As you're on a budget, maybe you could hassle them for a sample of their moisturisers too ;)

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:50 am

hehehe, any excuse to go shopping at Lush is fine with me :D

theres a couple of their products i would like to try out, i might take a trip into town after i get paid!

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:39 pm

I think I'll give that Herbalism a go too!

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Your skin sounds EXACTLY like mine. The only thing that ever seems to help me is St Ives' Invigorating Apricot Scrub, which I use every 2-3 days. There is also this stuff which is fantastic for pores, although the effect is temporary: http://www.freemanbeauty.com/portal/sto ... ctID=19618

Apart from that and water, nothing else works for me :(
More human than human

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Herbalism is a fantastic cleanser, but more if you're on the oily side of combination skin. If you have dry/combination or just straight up combination skin, Angels On Bare Skin will probably be a better bet. If I were to recommend all Lush, it'd be Angels on Bare Skin cleanser, Breath of Fresh Air toner and Vanishing Cream moisturiser.

Generally though, lavender is fantastic for combination skin so if you're on a budget that won't stretch to Lush, I'd look for a cheaper product with lavender in.

For the blackheads and bumps on your forehead, exfoliation is the way to go. I prefer to exfoliate a little bit every day, than one big exfoliation once a week, because my skin is too sensitive for that. The Angels cleanser is great because it's very mildly exfoliating.

I can't make any suggestions re: dark circles because I've had awful ones my whole life and I've never found anything that worked!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Don't forget your skin also reflects on your diet such as what you eat and it's absolute crucial that you drink plenty of water advised amount 8 glasses a day. One way to no if your not drinking enough water is *ok now for the this lol* when you go toilet if your wee is not almost clear or clear it means your dehydrated and your body is lacking it's needs :( you may already no that, but just saying anyhow :D
Also plenty of fruit and vegetables makes your skin better as mine is practically clear now *very happy Panda atm* since I've changed my diet.
As for skin creams etc boots botanic's range i highly recommend i use it all the time and they have one for combination skin and it's super cheap and and lol they some times have offers on. I'm not sure if this is what you use already? i have no idea really how many ranges boots have, but i will say in my opinion it works very well. Even their Bontanic's eye make-up remover is good but it is oil based so may not suit you, plenty of others to chose from in that range though.

:o End of my Boots promoting :lol:
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”