Extending with human hair, THEN dreading...

LizSherman

Extending with human hair, THEN dreading...

Post by LizSherman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:18 pm

My hair is currently very short, 1.5" at the shortest point to about 3" at the longest point. Way too short to dread, and to be honest, I even had problems dreading my hair when it was around 5". However, I've been looking into having my hair extended with human hair, and then dreadlocked in the usual way. I've seen a couple of people who offer this method - Notably Angel Emma and Snarl Hair. I've had experience with both of these sellers before and the quality of both their work is very impressive so I'd be more than happy to use either of them (though I'm currently veering towards Emma, as she uses a dreadperm as opposed to wax).
Does anyone know anything about this method? I've had a stalk of get_up_dread_up, but couldn't really find anything on extending THEN dreading, and asking on there frightens me :lol:
Surely they'd come out after a while? I don't mind awfully if it creates a little bit of a weak spot (though I'd imagine with the glue they wouldn't?) as my hair is already so short and when they're established I can extend the dreads with the usual crochet method.
Any input is appreciated, I should imagine I'll have to grow my hair a little as yet, but I have seen Angel Emma extending with human hair on hair shorter than mine, so I don't really know!
Sorry if this post is a little higgeldy-piggeldy, I'm super-sleepy and meant to do this earlier, whoops ;)
Thanks!

kaytedies

Re: Extending with human hair, THEN dreading...

Post by kaytedies » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:22 pm

I don't really suggest extending (if by extending you mean getting in human hair extensions) and than dreading. When I started my dreads, they were about shoulder length and I made dread extenders for them and had my sister sew them into my natural dreads. That may be easier than extending and dreading :i2:

elliss_seven

Post by elliss_seven » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:23 am

I was wondering the same thing, though my hair is more shoulder-length. If I was to dread it, I'd have short dreads (I think I look better with longer hair). .Could adding extra human hair to my hair sort of like making transitional dreads work?
Or what about braiding the rooted end of the hair (just a little, like a half an inch), & looping the extra human hair through it?

Either way I've become more determined to say 'what the hell' & just give it a go! Maybe by next spring/summer. .I'll tell everyone how it goes. Heh.
The one and only .. Facebook.com/ls.seven

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:08 am

thats what i did when i dreaded my fringe and my outgrown undercut... dreaded the first inch then looped the loose extension through.. crocheted it together a bit then backcombed like crazy... they're still holding together 4 month down the track
sometimes i think there's no reason to get out of bed...then i feel wet and realise there is!!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:01 am

I personally wouldn't recommend it, for the same reasons I wouldn't advise anyone to add glue to their dreads; its way preferable to avoid using any substance that will remain in the dreads. Glue can also damage the hair and create a weak point in the dreadlock. Also, there would be more hair in the dread from the point of the bond downwards. It may not notice at first but it would as they grew as 'skinny root, fat end' is a very common quandry, even without using this method. As mentioned above, it would be better in so many ways to add a backcombed extension to a formed dreadlock. It looks completely natural, puts no alien substance into the hair and it entirely reversible if/when you want it to be. The only downside of this method is that, to have it work well and remain secure, the extender does need to be fixed to a dread which is already well established and firm.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Moonlight Hair

Post by Moonlight Hair » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:20 pm

er? if you still need it?
http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/vibrata.html
hope it helps anyone
The path i walk down travels in the wrong direction
www.moonighthair.com and also on myspace under moonlight hair

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Moonlight Hair wrote:er? if you still need it?
http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/vibrata.html
hope it helps anyone
I think the clue is in the title on this one. ;)

Gracey xx

vibrata

Post by vibrata » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Ahem.... expert stepping up to the mic.... ;)
There's really no point in extending first then dreading. It's likely too difficult to do it yourself. Dreading first THEN extending is a proven technique that is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Also, as Miss Chaotic says, it's totally possible to do it on newly formed dreads, provided they're backcombed very tightly and secured really well. I did this to extend my undercut, which was only about 3 or 4 inches long at the most. I used some loose human hair and a darning needle to sew the extender securely in place to the new dread "bud", then crocheted the loose hairs together. Voila, a dread where there was none.

If your hair texture is difficult to dread, you can prepare it by using a clarifying shampoo for a few weeks, every 3 days or so, and throw away your conditioner, brush and comb. Some people also make their hair drier and more dreadable by coloring or bleach, though you do want your hair to be strong and healthy.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Fully agree with you, I use your method all the time ;)

It was this I was referring to:
LizSherman wrote:looking into having my hair extended with human hair, and then dreadlocked in the usual way
I figured Liz was acquainted with your method and was pointedly asking about doing it the other way round.

Gracey xx

tankgirlkerry

Post by tankgirlkerry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:36 pm

I am a total noob at this but I just dreaded and extended my hair.
I was looking at getting it done professionally but it was sooo expensive and with a 5 month old I can't really afford it.
So, I looked at a few tutes, bought some cheap real hair extensions from ebay, dyed them and my hair so it all matched.
Then, with the help of lock peppa, backcombing and crocheting I made little dread extensions.
I then seperated and dreaded my hair in the same way and crocheted the end of my dread to the extensions.
All in all it's cost less than £20.
It takes a super long time and leaves you with achey hands but I think it was well worth it :D
I say D.I.Y.
'I should think that if people were to get the wrong impression of me, the one to which you so eloquently refer, it wouldn't be the wrong impression in the slightest.'

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”