Roots -.-

kaytedies

Roots -.-

Post by kaytedies » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:00 am

So I was doing maitenence on my dreadies and I noticed the roots aren't dreading up at all. My dreads are about 3 months old and it seems like the roots aren't dreading up at all like the rest of my hair does :(. Am I doing something wrong? Or doesn anyone have any tips on root dreading?

IKickShins

Re: Roots -.-

Post by IKickShins » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:08 am

Knotty Boy's forum has a bunch of threads on maintenance:
http://www.knottyboy.com/lore/idx.php/1 ... reads.html
(just ignore the stuff about using their products if you're doing them naturally)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:25 am

ok never flip your roots!!! now that we have that out of the way your roots will eventually knot up depending on whether you have thick dreads or thin dreads.. Thick dreads tend to knot up quicker and easier than thin dreads... most thin dreads have about an inch of new growth before they start knotting up again... If you really want to find out more look here http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori ... p_dread_up This site has lots of info and you can make your own mind as to how you maintain your dreads
sometimes i think there's no reason to get out of bed...then i feel wet and realise there is!!

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:50 am

What is flipping my roots? (Just so I know what it is to never do it lol)
I think my dreads are in between thick and thin...not too thin but also not super huge.
I'm just really upset with the way my roots are looking because it makes my dreads look kind of gross (harsh word, but true) and makes me want to cut them out :(. But I don't want to get drastic if its an easy fix, lol.

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:48 am

Flipping roots is inserting the end of your dread through the root and pulling it through.. it tightens the roots up but causes weak spots in your dread. You can always do some root rubbing just grab your roots in between your fingers and rub them in a clockwise direction. i have really fine hair and its so soft that's the only way i can get mine to knot, just be careful though that you don't do it too hard or too often other wise you will end up pulling you hair out by the root

like this
sometimes i think there's no reason to get out of bed...then i feel wet and realise there is!!

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:47 pm

miss chaotic wrote: Image
:lol: Sorry that is one good graphic

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Aha okay.
I've only flipped a dread once...and than I flipped it right back to other way because it was uncomfortable.

shrijani

Post by shrijani » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:16 pm

clockwise rubbing indeed! And using a crochet needle!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/freak.boutique
Freak Boutique - Natural & Fake Dreadlocks

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:22 am

yes the crotchet needle has been my savior it even managed to help me dread my outgrown undercut which is only an inch long... makes for very teeny tiny dreads indeed :)

earthymamawitch

Post by earthymamawitch » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:29 pm

miss chaotic wrote:yes the crotchet needle has been my savior it even managed to help me dread my outgrown undercut which is only an inch long... makes for very teeny tiny dreads indeed :)
miss chaotic can you share how the needle helped you dread hair that short? I'm about to put in my 3rd set of dreads but I'm told my 1-2" long grown out undercut is too short and will have to be dreaded later. Not too happy at the thought of walking around with a half dreaded head for 6 months, so I'd love to hear more about your method. PM me if you'd like :)

Thanks!

Jenn
Let me get my hands in your hair!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1560079231
Knotty & Nice All Natural Dread Products http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnottyandNice333

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”