Real dreads using human extension hair

Magdalena

Real dreads using human extension hair

Post by Magdalena » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:50 am

I have a client that has a mohawk, that is at around 6inches. He has let the sides grow out to about 3 inches. He is wanting to have human hair installed in his entire head, and then dreaded up. He wants the dreads to be long, and somewhat thick. I have never attempted something like this before, with installing human hair to create real dreads. Is this service realistically possible, and will they grow into nice locks, or would the root area be "weird" where the extensions were installed?

I would love some advice, on this, and what would be the options we have. He is willing to go any route to acheive a worthwhile outcome.

Thnx so much in advance.
-m

ANNloses

Re: Real dreads using human extension hair

Post by ANNloses » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:41 am

Is he looking to have them permanently?

Magdalena

Post by Magdalena » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:19 am

Im thinking that is his goal.

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:49 am

Okay. Don't make extensions and then attach them to his head.
First of all, you're going to need to separate and dread his hair. This will take a while, and can be done in many different ways. If you are not familiar with dreads, I suggest you read up on the memories in the get_up_dread_up livejournal community, it's very helpful. http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori ... p_dread_up
After deciding on which method to use (I personally recommend backcombing, it's quick and very efficient), go for it. Separate his hair into the correct formation, and take your time.

Then you'll need to have some human hair extensions, either in weft form or bulk form. Backcomb into dread shapes, and snip them off the weft/tips/etc. Crochet them to the ends of his dreads, using this tutorial: http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/vibrata.html
This is a very long process, and depending on how many dreads he has, this can take over two days to complete. Some people say that you shouldn't extend dreads until they begin to mature (the 3-4 month point) and I agree. Because the dreads are still loose and not as solid, the extensions could fall apart, and essentially fall off. But, if he wants long dreads, that's the only way to attain them, aside from a weave.

Just make sure that you're well-informed before you work on his head, and he should have good results.
If I've left anything out, feel free to ask more questions.

Magdalena

Post by Magdalena » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Thnks so much for your help.

Just as you have said, is what I was thinking to do. However, I wasnt sure if I did it on really short hair, and it being new dreads, verses mature ones, that they would grow out weird, and be weak in the root area. I am a queen at backcombing, so I know that will be the easiest part. :D

He definitely wants insta' dreadies, and have them be real ones, and permanent. I also figured it would take a long time, as well. I told him possibly two days of work.

Do you recommend any places for bulk hair? I am willing to do the wefted, but would like to just get a bundle if I can.

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Online is your best bet. However everywhere I've looked, the bulk is more expensive than the wefts.
Sometimes yes, the bonds will appear thinner in comparison to the other parts of the dread. If you experience this, crochet them together higher up on the dread. I'm currently wearing an extension that's too thin in the middle :/

Magdalena

Post by Magdalena » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Yeah, I would like for him to wait until the sides of his hair grows out more before dreading anything. Although, he is a bit impatient. ;)

moROSE69

Post by moROSE69 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Also since he wants it to be permanent but after a couple months those extensions could start falling out... which could make for some embarassing moments. Extensions aren't meant to be permanent. I'm not sure how easy it would be to reattach or salvage them if the glue wear out or the weft grows too far down and becomes visible. He should continue to grow his hair out. Then extend the dreads when they are mature enough as ANNloses said.

You could always dread the hawk part now. That way you can start extending those sooner. So he'll have atleast some dreads on his head. Then do the sides later when they are long enough. It's a long process making real dreads. You can't just up and have them one day. You need to explain that to him that patience is the only way to have the best dreads. You don't want to give him something long lasting or you don't believe in. Then see how commited he is to having them.

Magdalena

Post by Magdalena » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:32 pm

I talked him into waiting on it. I am glad for that, too. He undestands they take time, he's just really eager. :D

I would be using bulk hair, so I wouldnt have issues with glue, tracks or anything. I am hoping that he will wait a good while so we can start them out nice.

vibrata

Post by vibrata » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:50 am

Since I've actually been quite successful in doing what you're thinking of doing, I can at least reassure you that it can be done! If your backcombing is very very tight, you may be able to add extenders right away. My technique with the crochet hook works best on mature dreads. You may also want to sew the extenders in place (with a darning needle, using hair as thread) if you're attaching to freshly dreaded hair. YOu have to really weave the "thread" in there so the extender has a secure base.

The trick is to make the extender the same diameter as the dread you're attaching it to, and to be very meticulous in the attachment process. It is, indeed, very time consuming, but worth the effort. They can always be repaired if your first attempt isn't perfect. I sure hope you're being well compensated!

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”