Dread maintenance

tiger lily rach

Dread maintenance

Post by tiger lily rach » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 am

hey

I havent been on this forum since forever, hence I dont really know where to look for stuff anymore, and this question.

My mate has shoulder length dreads and they need some tidying up. As he's a tattooist, he's offered me ink in exchange for hair services.

Is there any good tutorials around (im sure there is, but I'm outta the dread loop nowadays) so I dont mess it up for him, and in return get my beautiful ganesh tattoo :D I've seen quite a few on youtube, but they're quite hard to see what the latch hook is actually doing. many thanks x x

tiger lily rach

Re: Dread maintenance

Post by tiger lily rach » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:29 am

answered own question really- this looks pretty neat and a easy way to do it

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Tu ... ce-Reperm/

princessOfpOi

Post by princessOfpOi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm personally very reluctant to use chemicals or external means of holding the hair together, I use a few of the smallest crochet needles I can find and use them to both dread and tidy in loose hair.

I use the needle from all angles, passing the tip of the needle in and out of the dread to pull everything together if that makes any sense, you can use them to pull in loops and round off ends should you desire. I use the needle and alternate with palm rolling and using my fingers to tangle the hair too. It can be time consuming, but I feel it gives good results. If you have a needle handy you could try having a fiddle with a messy synthetic dread and see how you find it, it takes a little while to pick up but fine with a bit of practice, hope that helps :)

tiger lily rach

Post by tiger lily rach » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:37 am

yeah, thanks for that :D i wasnt going to use the actual chemicals, I just like the way of gathering all the hair and putting it back into the dread as it seemed rather easy!

wish me luck!

blu3linn

Post by blu3linn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:00 pm

princessOfpOi wrote:I'm personally very reluctant to use chemicals or external means of holding the hair together, I use a few of the smallest crochet needles I can find and use them to both dread and tidy in loose hair.

I use the needle from all angles, passing the tip of the needle in and out of the dread to pull everything together if that makes any sense, you can use them to pull in loops and round off ends should you desire. I use the needle and alternate with palm rolling and using my fingers to tangle the hair too. It can be time consuming, but I feel it gives good results. If you have a needle handy you could try having a fiddle with a messy synthetic dread and see how you find it, it takes a little while to pick up but fine with a bit of practice, hope that helps :)

i 2nd this, this is how i do maintenance on my OH's dreads =D

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Wed May 06, 2009 7:16 am

Crochet hook works best for me! I try to find big-ish loose hairs (by big i mean maybe 8-10 strands of hair only), push the crochet hook through, then wrap the offending hairs around the hook and pull through. Obviously you dont want to use too much hair otherwise you'll end up with big holes, but i find i can get the hairs to come through more strand-like after a few go's, then i can try to follow it down the dread to make it more sturdy.

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”