Unraveling dreads

Miss_Panda

Unraveling dreads

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:20 pm

enquiring for a friend ^^
he's got natural dreadlocks i think he's had them for a few months, and he said they've started to unravel :?
what could he do to make them dread again?

would you suggest backcombing and palm and would any kind of steam need to be used or warm water to help them hold together..i have no idea tbh so im asking before i suggest anyhthing (don't want to ruin his hair)
or websites you can direct me to for tutorials ^^
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

sammu

Re: Unraveling dreads

Post by sammu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Human hair is not plastic, so you don't steam it to hold the dreads in place.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:22 pm

so what i've said is correct? accept the steaming part
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

sammu

Post by sammu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Hmm, I'm not really a pro so I can't provide a definate answer like some girls here can, but there's a community on Livejournal (Get Up, Dread Up... can't remember the link but type that into google and you'll get it) that will help you.

I've heard of latch-hook methods, backcombing again, palm-rolling... one of those should do it, but check that LJ community first. :)

princessOfpOi

Post by princessOfpOi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:56 am

Chances are that his dreads are just changing, and that time is the only thing that is needed for them to sort themselves out, rebackcombing at this stage can be detrimental. Pictures would be helpful if you have them though, I second the suggestion to check the memories on get_up_dread_up.
Hope that helps somewhat :)

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:44 pm

princessOfpOi wrote:Chances are that his dreads are just changing, and that time is the only thing that is needed for them to sort themselves out, rebackcombing at this stage can be detrimental. Pictures would be helpful if you have them though, I second the suggestion to check the memories on get_up_dread_up.
Hope that helps somewhat :)
I agree with the above, generally real dreads can only get more knotted up over time, unless he's been washing his hair with lots of conditioning products I can't see how his dreads could unravel. I would also recommend he has a look at get_up_dread_up.

Leea

Post by Leea » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:29 am

I Aint a pro either, I have one real dread in my head which im testing, i have Combined it with a Small section (purple) HH extension an embroidery thread Around it! Seems to be doing the trick so far, maybe He could do the dread perm technique .. http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Tu ... ce-Reperm/ ;)

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”