How long to wait b4 extending?

PinkMinx

How long to wait b4 extending?

Post by PinkMinx » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Hey there!
Ive decided to take the plunge into the real dreadlock realm!
I have quite short hair at the moment, it is just below my ears. I know i will lose length when its dreaded, so i will be extending them with human hair. I just wanted to know how long to wait before i extend them? Also if anyone has extended on brand new dreads, how did they turn out?
Any advice is appreciated!
:D
**...PiXiE of the Hills...**

Gracey

Re: How long to wait b4 extending?

Post by Gracey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Heya it is perfectly possible to extend at the same time as dreading your own hair. It just takes a bit more organisation as it helps a lot to have the extenders back-combed ready for action before you start. I do this quite a lot in the studio to good effect.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Yes, you can just put them in at the same time, no worries. But agreed, it will take a lot less time if you have all the extenders prepped up ahead of time.

earthymamawitch

Post by earthymamawitch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 pm

I have a method I use on clients where, instead of predreading extensions and then crocheting them in, I make the extensions directly on the head. I pull the extension hair thru the natural dread base, crochet a bit to anchor, and then backcomb it right in with the preexisting hair - it becomes part of the dread and you can't even tell the difference. They also never slip or fall out. I've done that the same day as starting a set of dreads, many times. Even on myself :i2:

Jenn
Let me get my hands in your hair!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1560079231
Knotty & Nice All Natural Dread Products http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnottyandNice333

PinkMinx

Post by PinkMinx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Thankyou all! You have given me hope in my impatient mind! lol

Ive had dreads before but they were incredibly skinny and tiny, but by using backcombing and a hell of alot of crocheting they felted up quite quickly. Yay!
So now just to get the hair and start the process! I shall be in contact if need be, and/or when im done! Its gonna take me a while though as im int he middle of moving house and have a 5 month old baby girl! haha
wish me luck! =P

earthymamawitch

Post by earthymamawitch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Feel free to pm me if you'd like some help doing the first few, I would be more than happy to walk you thru my process, at least :)

good luck!
Jenn
Let me get my hands in your hair!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1560079231
Knotty & Nice All Natural Dread Products http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnottyandNice333

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:34 am

I waited a month to do mine, but that was because I was lazy in making them :X
But when I finally made them, it took me about 3 hours in one sitting. Not bad! I crocheted human track hair, and my sister sewed them in..They were killer.
Can't wait to see yours!

PinkMinx

Post by PinkMinx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:05 am

Thank you Jenn, if i get stuck i will def pm you! =)
My boyfriend is pretty good at crocheting, which helps when my hands get sore and for the back dreads! haha

Kaytedies - Ill probably be the same! lol start my dreads and by the time i get round to finishing making the extensions itll be a few months in! haha

I have a copper red colour in my hair at the moment, so they will be long red dreads, IF i can get the colour to match right! =)

So so exciting!!! I just hope i dont change my mind after a while...i tend to do that...but mostly with colours...
Thanky ou all for advice! If anyone else has any tips or info feel free to let me in on your secrets!

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”