Skinny dreads for thin, fine hair

PalePhantasy

Skinny dreads for thin, fine hair

Post by PalePhantasy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Well, I tried the synth route and they just don't look right braided into my hair, as it's so thin and fine. So, I thought I would try real dreads. I know they take a lot of patience and dedication, and I am fine with that. I'm just unsure if it's possible with fine, thin hair...? I've also read that skinny dreads are more difficult to start and maintain, but I was wondering what anyone else's experiences are with skinny dreads and/or really fine/thin hair?

Any thoughts are appreciated. :D
PalePhantasy

ANNloses

Re: Skinny dreads for thin, fine hair

Post by ANNloses » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:50 pm

:) It's good to see more and more people interested in dreadlocks.
What was it abut your installation that didnt look right in your hair? I am going to warn you that yes, getting thin dreads is quite hard to maintain at first, and they will take a longer time to mature. You will also experience a ton of loose hairs, and more likely than not, your dreads will mesh together if you neglect them for too long.

What I'm worried about is that since your hairis thin and fine, you might not have the desired volume that you want when you decide to dread. This could be remedied by adding single enders or double enders to your dreads to bulk it out, though!

PalePhantasy

Post by PalePhantasy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 pm

I labsolutely love the thin to medium real dreads! The fatties only look good on some people, IMO, and I know I couldn't pull thick dreads off no matter what.

What I didn't like about the synth dreads was that I made the regular, "twisted", stiff DE's and it just looked like I had "U"s on my head where the extensions were attached. Of course, I started the install in the front, where my hair is thinnest, because no one was around to install the back at that time. I then decided that I actually just want a half head install, with the hair from the top of my ears forward left straight. I would absolutely LOVE a full head install, but I'm just too thin up front, I think. :i3:

I've wondered if I could make synth dreads that look like real dreads and just let the hair at the root dread naturally around the root, but I can't find any info on on anyone actually starting real ones that way. So, I figure will need to start off with baby dreads, as my hair is only about 4 inches long. It's cut in an even blend at the back and forward to my ears. I usually just spike/tease the back and leave the longer sides and my fringe smoothed down - an "emo" look, I guess. LOL
PalePhantasy

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:24 pm

i have very thin hair, and not much of it due to a fringe and undercut. my dreads are skinny and i don't have loads so i bulk my hair out using natural looking synths and no-one can tell they're extensions :)
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

flurominx

Post by flurominx » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:50 pm

I have really fine hair, but have had my dreads for over 8 years now, no problems. I find I can do so much more with them now as my hair was so crappy and fine it never stayed styled at all. I do only have about 30 dreads though - not a massive head of them of course!
I started by putting wool braids in and then wrapped the roots with wool for about a year, when I took them out I had little mini established dreads, and they hav grown (loads!) since then. I have to keep on top of them of course, but I kind of bypassed the whole backcombing/maintenance thing etc by using the wool wraps.
Good luck!
I make unique accessories and customised clothes. Check them out at:
http://www.guerilla-embroidery.com

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”