Heavy dreads?

Desiree

Heavy dreads?

Post by Desiree » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:19 pm

I've been dizzy for the last few weeks, and my doctors says I have infiltration of the muscles in the neck, and that might be the problem.

I been trying to aviod the thought, but maybe my dreads are too heavy?

I have naturals dreads with human hair extenders (about two packs of human hair)

I never had trouble with infiltrations with synthetic dreads that were much heavier or any other type of extensions.

I work as a nurse, so my dreads need to be up at work and i usually make a big bun, but maybe there's other ways to put them up, that isn't so hard for the neck??

(I went to see another doctor who said it was a virus in the inner ear but I can't shake the thought)

I'd hate to loose the dreads, and maybe I just cut of the extenders, but i looooove the long dreads....

PirateQueen

Re: Heavy dreads?

Post by PirateQueen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Not sure if that's what's happening to you, but constant neckache was the reason I cut off my first set of dreads. I'd had them for almost 20 years and they were hip length and very heavy. I always wore mine tied up too, as they got in the way and I had a young baby who constantly grabbed at them.
I never got dizzy though.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 pm

knowing doctors I would've thought if there was any chance it was your dreads they would have said so!
telling it like it is!

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 am

I guess you're right. It was just my biggest fear, and of course the doctor would have mentioned it. Thanks for calming me down...

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:44 pm

a alot of people i spoke to about dreads have said they cut off the lenght as it was causing immense neck pain
and i found that when weearing dreads when they were long i could keep them in too long as my neck would kill,
with my realy dreads im not gonna let them get to long cos i hate long hair and dont want all the pain lol
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:58 pm

I don't know about the doc not mentioning it. Those unfamiliar with synth hair may have no clue how heavy it can be. I can tell you that I suffer from a neck injury, and it is much worse when I wear dreads frequently.

Sorry to maybe be the bearer of some bad news. Maybe you could take a break from dreads for a short time, and if the problem clears up try again?

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Miss Liberty wrote:Maybe you could take a break from dreads for a short time, and if the problem clears up try again?
These are Desiree's real dreads Miss L. ;)

I had also been having a lot of neck problems; I kept trapping a nerve which would make me feel ghastly for 5 days at a time. It's hard to say whether it's because of my own dreads, which were very heavy, but I haven't done it in the couple of months since I hacked them.

If you are desperate to keep the length, you could always hack into the top layers to have the length without the bulk. Even cutting a few inches off some of them does make a difference with the weight.

It's also worth thinking about how cumbersome big hair can be; it doesn't need to be heavy to be altering the way you move/ hold yourself. Wearing them loose whenever you have chance should make a difference, as the weight and bulk is more evenly spread than when it's tied up.

Hope you feel better soon.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks guys.
I've been wearing my dreads in a tight bun for work, and the past week I've been doing different looser up-do's, braids and half-up-do's when I have days with no contact with the patients. And letting my hair down already on the way home from work.
It helps a lot....

I also got a terapist working on my neck, and he didn't mention the weight of the hair either. He manipulated some stiff bones in my neck and it feels better.

Hopefully it's allright now, but otherwise cutting some layers will be the next step.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”