crocheting help on exsiting dreads- HELP!

tiger lily rach

crocheting help on exsiting dreads- HELP!

Post by tiger lily rach » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:48 am

hello!

right i need help! i'm confused :( one my friends has been banging on fort years about me sorting out his hair, even though i've told him i've never touched a natural dread!

and i really dont know where to start, i have read tutorials on here, looked a videos on youtube but there seems to be so many different techniques on how to do so. can someone give me say their top tips on where to start....

the dreads are a few years old and really havent been touched. there are lots of loose hairs that need to be worked into the dreads. do i section the hair off, elastics, rough up then thread through with a crochet hook? etc.....

this may sound very confused, mainly because i am :) like i've said, i have the main ideas, but theres so many ways of going about it. i'm gonna practice on some extended ones made out of wefts before hand!

thanks all :)

MrsEss

Re: crocheting help on exsiting dreads- HELP!

Post by MrsEss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:18 am

Gracey (woolhairhabit) should be able to help on this one hon......I remember reading her explanation on crochet dreads, basically you do it like a scalp plait/corn row etc, so you know how many times you grab hair to make those, you do the same for crochet dreads.

I'm pretty sure elastics are a big no no when it comes to naturals, or if you do use them, remember to take them off once you've sorted all the section out.

Good luck & I'm sure you'll do fine :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Gracey

Re: crocheting help on exsiting dreads- HELP!

Post by Gracey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Heya doll. If the dreads really haven't been touch in all that time, I'm guessing there is a lot of root regrowth that isn't dreaded? If this is the case, he will need to set about dealing with that before crocheting will work. He needs to scrub it well and let it dry, then set about clockwise-rubbing. This will help to dread up the loose bit so the crochet has something to hang onto. There are tutorials all over the place for that.

In terms of crocheting, I have seen a lot of tutorials but everybody does it different. I did attempt to explain my method to xalternmommyx not too long ago, I think it was in the critique section if you want to look. Though I warn you, my description was a little... erm... let's say random. Good luck!

You are welcome to send me some pictures of what you are trying to tackle if you like; it may be easier to advise you then. xx
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”