How to stop negative stigma for real dreads?

patricia*star

How to stop negative stigma for real dreads?

Post by patricia*star » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Hiya,

What do people think of the bad reputation that real dreads get within society?

I have been using synthetic and roving dreads for a few years now ( only in autumn/winter tho, i get too hot!) and i have experienced alot of negativity. I now take my ipod everywhere with me so i cant hear what people are shouting at me (all i see is their angry faces so i just smile politely and keep walking! :lol:).

Over the years i have had people pull my hair while passing me in town, pulling so hard that i spin round! i have come to just ignore things like this but its got me thinking that it must be worse when you have real dreads. Not only do you get all of the above but you also get people thinking that they are dirty and smelly (which we know is not right aslong as they are looked after properly).

I have been wanting real dreads for a while now but im put off by the fact that even my own mam thinks that they are dirty. In her defence she only has this oppinion because my stoner cousin has dreads and his ARE dirty an smelly, and because this is her only experience of real dreads she is bound to feel like this!

I worry how she would react if i got them and how i could change her mind.

I am already the black sheep of the family because i dye my hair weird colours when i dont have dreads in so would this step be one step too far?

How do people feel the are viewed by society because of their hairstyle?

Im interested to know eveyones oppinions and if you have had any positive or negative things happen to you because of dreads.
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

tazzyface

Re: How to stop negative stigma for real dreads?

Post by tazzyface » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:09 am

You might be interested in reading through this thread :) http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=634

Honestly, you're going to be judged no matter what. Alternative, normal, whatever, people are going to make assumptions based on how you look. It's a part of life unfortunately. If you want real dreads, I say go for it, unless you feel that it's going to have an impact on your safety - if you live in an area where you might be physically abused based on your dreads, it may not be the best idea.

It's interesting though, I would have thought people with synth dreads received worse attention, given that it's not "real" hair. People seem to have an aversion to synthetic hair!
More human than human

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:40 am

I think people with natural colour dreads, whether it is their own hair or a synth that matches a natural shade get less abuse. I have certainly noticed this with my own dread wearing. People pass you off as a 'hippy' if you have natural coloured dreads. If you have unusual colours, you are going to get attention because it is not 'normal'.

My husband has noticed exactly the same- when he wore natural dreads it was barely notived by the public- the moment he added some green and red in he got comments.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 am

I don't honestly feel there is much of a stigma regarding natural dreads; as stated above, fake hair attracts far more attention. And i say that, having my own natural dreads bright red. I've had them for about 8 years, but wore very unnatural fake hair before that.

The things I notice more are people believing they can map out everything from my music choice to my political leanings, my recreational habits to my diet based on my hairdo. I have always quite enjoyed dispelling a few myths, the most common being the fallacy that real dreads don't get washed and that those who wear them are all soapbox hippies. Most of the 'negative' attention I get is from genuinely curious people who are sometimes a little blunt in their approach.

My advice to others has always been to be gracious towards strangers and to back off straight away if things seem like they could get ugly. In those cases it is a pointless argument where neither side could even hope to change the other's mind. In moving about my areas, I stick my nose in the air and walk around as if I own the place. Most people seem to assume that I do! I have noticed that, if I smile, most people smile back at me. Likewise, if I walk out beefing with a frown on my face, other people largely scowl back. I figure I can only take myself seriously to a point; I know damn well what I look like and pretty much have to smile. It seriously works for me.

There are always going to be those who dislike your appearance or make assumptions. The most common misunderstanding/ slight on my motivation is the old gem 'White people should not have dreadlocks'/ 'Why are you trying to be black'?.These are so few and far between and usually come from badly informed white people. I can handle that, and do. The other assumption that people with dreads do not want/ can not get jobs is easily dispelled and usually leaves the enquiree with a little more knowledge than they had before.

Overall, I have learnt to only take criticism from those whose opinion I actually value and to not let anybody else's thoughts bother me. I have never had a problem being taken seriously when needed and there are individuals out there whose sensibilities, frankly, I am happy to offend. I have always said, when you go to this much effort to look a bit different from the norm, surely worst-case scenario is that people don't actually notice! :D
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:54 pm

I find that kids tend to want to play with you alot!

Im like the pied piper, kids literally hang off me like a limpet and want to play with my hair as if i was a real-life betty spaghetti! This helps with my job aswell because i work alot with kids.

I like this aspect though because i feel it makes you more approachable and for every negative comment i get i seem to get a positive to even things out and people always want touch your hair.

Im lucky with my current job because they allow me to do whatever i want with my hair because they feel i reflects my personality and it helps when engaging kids in educational and recreational activities.

When i first had dreads in i loved the feeling and when people looked at me i knew that it was just my hair they were looking at. When i took them out i became paranoid and almost depressed because people were still looking at me but i didny have them in and i felt insecure, self concious (sorry cant spell!) and totally unremarkable. It was the strangest thing, i just couldnt wait to get them back in so i could feel normmal and not flat any more.

Have you ever felt like this or an i just a mentalist?? :lol:
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”