help

hatemekillme

help

Post by hatemekillme » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:14 am

I have a friend who wants me to dread his hair....now I have done dreads for a few people and am pretty confident in my dreading abilities but he says he doesnt want all of his hair dreaded....like he just wants some random medium sized dreallocks all over his head but he wants to leave a decent amount of his hair undreaded....the way he explained it he wants some towards the top and some underneath.....I dont know if I'm explaining this well.....My issue is that I just cant picture how this will look and I keep thinking that it may look silly....If anyone has any pics of anyone with their hair like this could you please post a link or something cuz I just cant picture it and I like to have a mental image of what the final result will be or im scared ill mess it up somehow......

Librarynerd

Re: help

Post by Librarynerd » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 am

Hmmmmm...I'm with you in thinking it would look odd, not in a good way odd. Unless he is very careful the dreads are just going to gobble up the undreaded hair and leave him with a few giant unruly dreads. Also the dreaded parts are going to be much shorter than the undreaded. Has he thought about that?
Does he have any pictures of what he is talking about?
Do you have any natural style synth dreads lying about? Maybe you could test it out by putting some random naturals in his hair to see how it looks.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:34 am

The style he is talking about is not uncommon; I have worked with a few people who wear it. The first thing I would say is that every head I have seen like this have actually allowed the dreads to form naturally by themselves. This creates a somewhat haphazard style, with various sizes and shapes of dreads in randoom parts of the hair.
Librarynerd wrote:Unless he is very careful the dreads are just going to gobble up the undreaded hair and leave him with a few giant unruly dreads.
This is absolutely what would happen in the end. It would take a lot of work to keep the rest of the hair separate and would end up pretty uncomfortable as greedy dreads don't care which bits of hair they eat; they gobble hair from the opposite side of the head, given half a chance.
Librarynerd wrote:Do you have any natural style synth dreads lying about? Maybe you could test it out by putting some random naturals in his hair to see how it looks.
This is a really great idea. This way he could try it out and see how it sits and feels without commitment. It would be interesting to see pictures if you go ahead.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

hatemekillme

Post by hatemekillme » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:48 pm

I think I might make him up some naturals I just have to find the right shade of brown to match his hair....Ill post pics if I get some when I do it

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”