Can you ever get pigment back in over bleached hair?

LittlePinkFaery

Can you ever get pigment back in over bleached hair?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:40 am

I was blonde for over two years. Some of my hair has seen up to 6 bleaches. I decided to go copper ginger.

What I am finding is that I have no pigment in my hair and nothing will fill it. All dyes are sloughing off.

I stupidly tried a permanent box dye first, then a second. Then read about needing to fill my hair. Decided to go to a salon for a protein treatment and a dye. It didn't work and the dye came out. I bough kpac protein treatment and tried semi permanent box dyes. Nothing lasts. Within two washes it fades so much I need to dye again.

The kpac makes it much softer but doesn't seem to have filled the hair at all.

I have read about the aphogee (sp) 2 step treatment but I really don't know if it is worth it. I fear I can never get my hair to hold colour :(

I am resorting to buying veg dye to put in every wash now as I feel it will be kinder then a box semi perm every week!

Any tips or ideas or do I have to except being platinum has shagged my hair so much I can do nothing?

trippytroll

Re: Can you ever get pigment back in over bleached hair?

Post by trippytroll » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 pm

no tips sorry hon,but my hair will not hold colour either. I usually have dreads in so it doesnt bother me to much. Though for some reason my fringe has no problems holding the colour, its just all the rest of it.
Is your hair generally in good condition apart from that?
My hair is generally in naff condition and dull( cant get a brush through, breaks off soon as i touch it etc etc) and i have tried so many different hair products to try and get some strength back into it, and nothing has ever worked.Until recently i found this tub of hair stuff and the difference it has made to my hair is amazing. Its suppose to restore it and give it strength etc.My hair does not matt up at all now, doesnt fall out and its so soft and shiny.So i figured im gonna use it for a while and then try dying again and see if it helps at all.It might not make any difference but i figured i would try it anyway, and plus its good to get it back to a better condition.
here's a link so you can see what it is,
http://www.superdrug.com/elvive/loreal- ... nvt/605875
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks for the recommendation :) I will try it!

My hair is pretty good condition considering, not split fairly soft but just a bit dry and lifeless. Alas, I cannot get away with dreads at my work or that would e a great way to go!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Andrea, your hair sounds like mine. When I was ginger I used veggie dyes for the same reason. I'v gone blonde then to another colour & back many times & have found that the darker the new colour, the more likely it will stay.

My normal pattern was black > blonde > red > black & around again. Red always faded so I'd go darker. I'm not suggesting that you colour your hair black, but for example my hair is the colour of the banner on here, but it fades within a week or two to pink - except my natural hair & the less bleached hair - they hold the colour better so my plan is to go dark red with a tint as opposed to a box dye & then re-red it. If it's too dark a few washes with vosene will fix it for me.

Maybe a dark auburn followed by a brighter copper would be an idea?

However, if the damage is too far gone, the only option is to cut it. I regularly cut 1-2cm off my hair. I have, in the past had to cut about 80% of my hair off due to bleach damage though. I rescued it as much as possible & finally gave in.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm having lots cut off but this side of going 3 inches all over I will still have the colour issue...I think I am resigned to weekly dying with directions!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Yeah, you will have to for a while but in the end it'll be worth it. Steer clear of box dyes for a while though - I made the mistake of using permanent over my hair every two weeks & it killed my hair - chewing gum hair was distressing. I learned from it though & am sticking to pigments for the foreseeable future ;)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:16 pm

i would keep with the joico kpak. its good stuff and it will get your hair where you need it. be patient and wait a month before dying again. when you do dye, DO NOT use a box dye. you need a quality brand color and a 10 developer or if you can get ahold of joico colors, get the color deposit only. use no lift developers and that should help to prevent blowing the hair cuticle when you dye.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Return to “Styling and Color”