Colour matching red extensions?

irishchyna

Colour matching red extensions?

Post by irishchyna » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 am

Does anyone know the best places I can find a range of red extensions??

I get my straight (usually human hair) extensions weaved in, and I never had a problem sourcing great quality hair when my hair was black! But now I have red hair (stripped and coloured with majirel 666 and directions pillar box red), and it's impossible to find a colour match, especially in good quality, silky human hair. everything I find is either the wrong colour or cheap and nasty (or both)!

What's the best way to colour match my hair with some good extensions?? I don't want to go down the route of attempting to dye the extensions, as if they don't come out the correct colour it would prove time and money consuming...

Thanks!

Dystopatica

Re: Colour matching red extensions?

Post by Dystopatica » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 am

You probably won't find a colour match for your red blend, especially as the shade you've described uses a non industry standard shade, ie a blending different brands and using a "crazy" colour. It's simply not cost effective for hair extension suppliers to sell hair pre-dyed to such custom levels as the amount of end consumers it will be suitable for will be very small. Obviously there are a lot more customers on the planet who need black than need your specific red blend.

I hate to say it but self dying human hair is probably your only option to get a perfect match.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

Little Wicked

Post by Little Wicked » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:30 am

I agree with Dystopatica. Unfortunately, because you're using such a specific blend of colours on your hair, it will be impossible to match it exactly without dyeing the extensions to match your hair. Probably the best way to go about this without wasting alot of money is to buy some of the matching samples in different base colours from your extensions supplier (usually costing about £1 each (if you're in the UK, maybe about $1.50 - $2 each in the US), it's usually a tiny sample of the hair weft about 1" wide that can be used to match colours before you buy a whole weft). Try buying a few different shades of samples in colours near to your base colour before you dye your hair, then put your same blend of dyes onto the samples and see which base colour gives you the match you're after before you commit to buying full wefts. Time consuming, yes, but it will allow you to experiment with base colours (as extension hair tends to soak up the dye slightly differently than your own hair due to the chemical processes it's been through) so that you can get the match right.
Mindi Kay: loves dreads,corsets, shoes, makeup & fashion, obsessed with all things horror/gore related.
http://littlewickedsworld.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.littlewickedsemporium.co.uk

irishchyna

Post by irishchyna » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks guys- had a feeling I might have to dye it myself! :(

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed May 09, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm guessing, from the way you spell 'colour', that you are in the UK? I work in Paul's Hair world and we have a lot of different reds, mainly on the store's own brand, Universal, which we add to constantly with custom-dyed shades, particularly in reds, given the current demand. It might be worth a look on the website.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:55 am

I've had the same problem with red.
I got a weft with stripes to get the most natural look. My base hair is closest to #12 but my when you get a weft in #12 and dye it, it will get only one colour. It looks a little like a wig when there are no highlights and lowlights in the hair.
So I got a #12/#27 or something like that - piano striped weft - and it looked much more like my own hair when dyed.

I did the same thing for this girl.
She is dark blonde, and I got the #24/#613 and dyed it with the same dye she used. Sorry about the bad photos, but you get the idea.

Before :

After:

Return to “Styling and Color”