Indigo to platinum? advice?

Stormith

Indigo to platinum? advice?

Post by Stormith » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:39 pm

My hair right now is a vibrant indigo colour(various blue and purple dyes mixed together), but there is a job I want to get, and to get it I must have "normal" hair :[ So I've been thinking of doing a dark blue-toned black and hopefully being able to lighten the colour to a platinum-like streak? Would that work? I could use hair dye remover, and if needed I could lightly bleach it and use toner on it. Do hair dye removers remove a lot of the temporary, unnatural colours?

Please and thanks! :p

Dystopatica

Re: Indigo to platinum? advice?

Post by Dystopatica » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Strippers wont touch vege based dyes, they work by shrinking the colour molecule in permanent dyes small enough to rinse it out from under the hair folicle leaving your natural colour underneath. Vege based "crazy" colour dyes don't penetrate the hair shaft like that, they just stain the surface which is why they fade much quicker. Strippers cause a chemical reaction in perm dyes, but vege dyes don't have the chemical make up for the reaction to occur. You'd be better off using a strong clarifying shampoo to remove as much of the colour as you can over a period of weeks before attempting to bleach your hair up.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:08 pm

^^^ This!

It's not a terribly hard fix, as most true 'platinum' blondes are cool in tone anyhow. The one problem I might see is having it be a little grey-ish or silvery for a while until all the color comes out, but that might be kinda fun!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Stormith

Post by Stormith » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for the advice :) Definitely helped me make a plan of action.

And if it was white-silvery, that'd be pretty neat! I'd be down with that

Return to “Styling and Color”