Backcombed/teased curls, pics included, how to??

[Phexxie]

Backcombed/teased curls, pics included, how to??

Post by [Phexxie] » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Okie doke, this style has been somewhat of a nightmare for me to acheive
The big, backcombed curl!

I've tried my usual curl, smother with hairspray, backcomb, more hairspray, backcomb again and it just doesnt look this good
The curls aren't retained, and I basically end up with a huge unstructured bird nest, which would be fabulous if that's what I was going for
Since my hair is only about shoulder length, I generally only try this style when I have extensions in but I did try it on my natural hair and I got the same result... massive hair, but no curls :(

I've also tried less backcombing, but then I don't get the required 'poof'

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong
Here is a picture of the beautiful Nina Kate that I love to hate as this is the EXACT look I'm talking about

I've scoured the internet, and I can't find anything useful, just lots of tutorials for how to backcomb hair which I can already do to an excellent standard since my mum had a deathhawk in the 80's so I've basically been taught by a veteran :D

HALP

poxabomination

Re: Backcombed/teased curls, pics included, how to??

Post by poxabomination » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:53 pm

trade hair with me... and wake up in the morning and brush your hair a bit. DONE! :lol:

But for real, I don't know much about hair. Have you tried backcombing into a poof first and then curling sections instead of vice versa?
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm

ahh you dont want my hair, its a bit crap really

but yea, i did try that and it sort of half-worked but then lost all its poof and went flat :(

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm

oh boo :( if I could I would faff around and see if I could do it but I'm pretty incapable today. I'll do some looking around though!

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm

on a side note, whats your hair like naturally? If its straight and doesn't take a curl as well you might not be doing anything wrong, your hair might just really not like this style. Mine is horrible and poofy and wavy and thick, and takes a curl without hairspray at all :P but I can never get it straight or sleek either. Rawr. I'll ask a few people that might know though on facebook

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 pm

thanks for the link Madii, ill have a go with pincurls and see how it works
its one of those styles that feels like it should be so simple to do, and its the exact opposite ¬_¬

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:51 am

Pincurls for the win!

So... I have no idea what your hair is like naturally, but you can wash squeaky clean and then use some sort of setting lotion (provided you've not got super fine flat hair, because that will weigh it down a bit too much), and a volumizing powder at the roots (like this one: http://www.kevinmurphy.com.au/products/ ... php?id=110 ), pin curl the ends and sleep on it...

... and then you should be able to achieve something similar in the morning! Carefully brush out your curls with a bristle brush, being sure to help encourage the curl while brushing through it. Think Bettie Page and soft pin-up waves! Spray, with something heavy duty. Backcomb at the roots only, section by section to get volume, and then go through and pick out some bits to tease through the length, some mega-style with a comb and others lightly with your fingers. Finally, remember to leave some curls unteased so you can separate and shape them with your finger tips. Then spray the crap out of it until you feel like you're wearing a hair-helmet!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

UrbanHairDesigns

Post by UrbanHairDesigns » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:43 pm

You could also try to use a smaller barrel curling iron. But I wear my hair big and curly and I back comb my hair then curl it. You can also use a wax or spray wax to separate the curls after you back comb. When I do this I rub wax in a small section of hair and twirl in the direction the curl is going. Another thing you could try is try pulling strands of hair out after you back comb.
http://www.ModernSophistication.com
Tailor made hair additions

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:58 am

sleeping on perm rods would also do the trick. I've done a style very similar to this on my sister using perm rods (except i sat her under the hood dryer instead of sleeping on it). I used a large pick to loosen the curls a bit, backcombed normally at the roots, then finger-backcombing through the lengths.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 pm

I am a biiiiig fan of pincurls, they work amazingly for me and last for days.
I think they could work very well for that. You'd need to pincurl small and tight, then tease out in the morning with a wide comb or your fingers, then backcomb at the base to get the volume I think. Also hairspray upside-down and blast with a hair-dryer.

synthetic-creature

Post by synthetic-creature » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 am

or a way more simpler yet time consuming way... them wide bobby pis... weav your hair back and forth, sleep in it, take em out and add some hair spray and back combing. lol
..::Creature::..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[BoNe jEwElRy By CrEaTuRe ]

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Do a bubble roller set with gel, let it dry completely. Comb out all of the curls with a nylon or bristle brush. Backcomb and tease curls back into place with a teasing comb then spray and set.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Return to “Styling and Color”