DIY streaked fringe / bangs?

goldiloks

DIY streaked fringe / bangs?

Post by goldiloks » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 pm

I've currently hightlighted light brown / blonde hair at the moment (w/bangs), all super subtle frosted style, quite safe and boring, and I'd like a bolder colour combo. Having recently had said boring highlights done at the salon, I'd like to save a few pennies and attempt a DIY job!

I don't know if this type of dying has a special name? Streaks? Ribbons? Under layer dying / bleaching? I'd like a mix of medium or dark brown and platinum blonde. Is there a special method I could follow to achieve this look with my fringe? Or am I better off revisiting the salon?

Here is what I mean:
Image The lovely Kate P! Image Image Saffy! <3

I've had a wee search through posts, but couldn't find what I was looking for, aplogies if i've missed some vital info!

:)

Couture_Coiffure

Re: DIY streaked fringe / bangs?

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Not sure of the 'technical' name for those styles, but it is possible to bleach streaks/chunks/whatever into your bangs.

First I would recommend doing a strand test so you know exactly how long to leave the bleach on and also ensure your hair isn't going to turn a weird color since it has been previously dyed/bleached.

Then, select the sections you want to bleach and apply; you can wrap these up in foil to keep them away from the rest of your bangs. Process, rinse and there you go.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Totally unhelpful post but omg, Saffron! She's what made me want a pink fringe when I was about 12 :lol:

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:54 pm

I would suggest trying to get a friends help, but it's really just about sectioning and foiling. I suppose the name for it would depend on the actual pattern you chose of it. Striping works :)

scandium

Post by scandium » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:53 am

I managed to accidentally get that effect by tying part of my bangs out of the way when I bleached them out and then applying the bleach only to the remaining bit of the bangs....I dyed over the lot with dark blue anyway so it wasn't noticeable, but that might work for you.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:34 pm

I do it pretty often, just use a rat tail comb to lift little sections and then use kitchen foil underneath that section and paint on the dye!
I don't know the term other than streaks or foils.

Return to “Styling and Color”