Manic Panic - your opinions?

linziloop

Manic Panic - your opinions?

Post by linziloop » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi guys, I've been putting up with quite normal hair for me for quite a while now as when i went on holiday last year i got rid of my bright red so that the dye (directions) didn't run in the pool and end up turning the pool and half the villa pink (as i so often did to my bathroom). But I'm getting really sick of having brown hair, it's just not me, so lately I've been looking into dyeing it again. I came across a girl on Flickr who had rainbow dyed her hair using Manic Panic colours and got all inspired and excited by these new colours available to me (previously only ever used Directions)

Anyway, I was wondering, out of those of you here that have used Manic Panic, how do you find it for longevity and such? I was used to having to do my directions red at least once a month, especially as i didn't like the look of pillar box when it washed out - but these manic panic colours seem to look nicer when fading, what are your thoughts?
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

toxic trish

Re: Manic Panic - your opinions?

Post by toxic trish » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:36 pm

i used manic panic hot hot pink amplified for several months (about 3-4) and i only ever bought 2 pot which did one full dye two root touch ups and two re-dyes

life span i found it faded to an intolerable pink within about 4-6 weeks but i did find that the the tub that wasn't amplified didn't last as long as the amplified formula ??

i would say it has a better life span than directions but price wise i found at 4 tub of direction for the price of one tub of manic panic i would rather buy the directions which last me about 4-6months (diluted).

hope this helps
warning this post may/will contain bad spelling and lots of grammatical error's

well its shocking I AM MALE

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:04 am

Well, I've only ever used the amplified ultra violet or whatever it is, and seriously, it washed out in the RAIN. Admittedly it was warm, summer rain, and we were outside for ages at the BDO, but still!

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:35 am

Certain manic panic colours I find awful but then others (electric banana) I can't even bleach out :s also their shocking fuscia has great staying power on me, much better than directions flamingo pink though I prefer the colour
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

toxic trish

Post by toxic trish » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Madii wrote: unless you truly fall in love with an MP colour.
if this happens which it did with me try mixing some directuions together i did and got the exact same results as when using MP. ;)
warning this post may/will contain bad spelling and lots of grammatical error's

well its shocking I AM MALE

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:34 pm

yes how it is for one person migt not necessarily be the same for you. its usaully a case of trial and error. i personally found manic panic to be absolute crud, same as sfx, all that works for me is directions which last for ages, and i like the colours they fade to aswell.i tried many a different dye before i found it was directions that worked for me
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:39 am

i like most MP colors. they have a decent span, and if you've bleached to the correct level before hand, they usually wash out pretty gracefully and evenly for me. then again im compulsive about making sure i have an even bleach job before applying any color. so it could be different for you. where i am, its not too expensive. about 8 bucks, and a pot will last me about two bucks. the only color i absolutley wouldnt reccomend it cotton candy pink. total crap.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 pm

I think it all depends on the color probably. I've only ever used some of their greens and lighter blues/turqoises, and they were all utter garbage, so I would never use the brand again just because of that, even if maybe their warmer colors stayed longer. I know its unfair, but I'm stubborn :lol:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

linziloop

Post by linziloop » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks everyone, that's been really helpful. I have decided to stick with directions cos it seems for the price it's probably just as good (if not better) than Manic Panic.

Whilst I'm here though - do any of you go swimming when you have semi-permanent hair dyes in? I was cared they'd run loads (after seeing the state of my shower/bath when washing) but a friend of mine said, oddly enough, hers didn't seem to run in the swimming pool.
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Mine only runs if I go swimming within the same 5 days or so that I dyed it, but not enough to turn the whole pool red or anything, just enough to drip on my forehead and turn my face pink when I get out of the water! I will say that the pool water seems to suck the color out and fade it quicker though.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Moratoria

Post by Moratoria » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Mine only runs if I go swimming within a week or so of dyeing, but the combination of sun/chlorine does cause some fading. I try not to get my hair wet when I go swimming, but it's never dyed the pool or anything.

I agree with what everyone has said about Manic Panic-- some colors seem to last forever, others are total crap. The warmer colors seem to last longer, while Atomic Turquoise didn't even take to my already blue hair very well. I'd say it's pretty comparable to any other semi-perm dye, you have to find what works for you. I mostly use Special Effects now but do still use Manic Panic since I can get it locally (and cheaper). I'm not picky. :mrgreen:

zaea

Post by zaea » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Some of the colors stay in my hair to the point that even bleach doesn't get it all the way out, others fade out in under two weeks x_x

I prefer SFX to MP but I'll take what I can get in a pinch.

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 pm

my current dye has been on my hair for about 2 months and we got a 10ft paddling pool in the garden so thought id go in with the kids for a dip and it went completely blue, the whole thing :lol:
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

linziloop

Post by linziloop » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Ooo now I don't know what to do about the swimming hehe! Seems I might just have to find out for myself! And maybe not go in the first week or two after dyeing...

Now to decide on a colour!

K.O.

Post by K.O. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 am

I have used manic panic quite a few times and every time I have used it I loved it. My hair always feels so nice afterwards, unlike using boxed dyes. If youre looking for something vibrant, manic panic can help you with that.
if you google it you can see their website where they post the best results under each color they have available. A lot of times they offer pics of results of people have have bleached and also dyed over dark hair.
I'm planning on dying mine again soon, i just can't decide what color :D
Kitten A.K.A
Kristin Okopski

Stormith

Post by Stormith » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 pm

I use Manic Panic all the time. I find that no semi-permanent hair colour has enough staying power to satisfy me, so I use ion deep conditioner to lock it in no matter what. I mix the hair dye and the deep conditioner(it has a purple label, can't remember the exact type, but it is ion brand) and let it sit for as long as I want. Barely any colour washes out and it keeps my dye looking snazzy for longer.

crisgryan

Post by crisgryan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:18 am

I'll have to say that PRAVANA crazy colors are one of the best options, they last, vibrant, and completely inter-mixable!
See if a hair dresser friend can hook you up because you need a license to buy it but it's only about $4-5 a tube which could last anywhere from 1 month or 2.
Manic Panic was really good for its time but unfortunately it is very semi-permanent and since its mostly vegetable it does a lot of straining too.
Here's some hair I did in 2009 with Pravana. It also helps if you are doing a deeper color to use a neutral blonde such as 7N+ before you apply any crazy color, you will really see the difference compared to having fresh bleached hair with no pigment in it.

Dreadie_Lover1

Post by Dreadie_Lover1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 am

Just to add about the last post.

I use Crazy Colours and you can buy it anywhere, I normally get it from ebay (bulk buy) but you don't have to go to a hairdressers for it, as I found none of my hairdressers here knew what I was talking about but I do live in chav town so thats probs why.
"You're Different?!" *Werid Look*..'MEH'... "Darling We're All Different, You Just Don't Have The Balls To Show The World... I Do."

crisgryan

Post by crisgryan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:56 am

Yeah you can get a lot of stuff online but usually you do need a Cosmetology license to purchase these items.

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm

I've had good and bad results with MP (and with any other unnaturally coloured brand as well), so I'd say stick to directions and mix mix mix!
I'm a sfx whore though, so I really can't talk :lol:

In terms of colours though, warmer colours seemed to stay better for me than green/blue's which faded within a couple of weeks.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:02 pm

I'm a fan of MP myself and always had it stick well to my unbleached hair. I'm happy with it as a semi-perm color. Pravana, I hear, is the best though.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm

miasmahair wrote:Well, I've only ever used the amplified ultra violet or whatever it is, and seriously, it washed out in the RAIN. Admittedly it was warm, summer rain, and we were outside for ages at the BDO, but still!
This, I shelled out for the amplified ultra violet and it didnt cover well, came out a light, uneven lilac and washed out to cak in one wash. It was green, grey, brown and who knows what else.

kitcupcake

Post by kitcupcake » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 pm

MP Red Passion = neon magenta! That's the color I had my hair forever, and it took three bleaches to get it [mostly] out. I don't know if my hair is just extra special or what, but MP is the ONLY neon dye that my hair will take to, and I've had to shave my head to get certain colors [ahem, Electric Banana!] out before.
It might be worth mentioning that I only wash my hair in cold water every other day to keep from damaging it too badly. I swear by conditioning every day and washing every other day, no matter what color my hair is, and it keeps it in fantastic condition despite lots of abuse.

Red Passion after two months without touchups. Maybe my superpower is getting MP to stick to my hair?

Return to “Styling and Color”