best blue for mixing neon green?

fishyadienlee

best blue for mixing neon green?

Post by fishyadienlee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:59 pm

i plan on going neon/lime green but i was wondering what would be the best blue to use to mix with MP's electric banana?
i know that certain blues fade a grey/silver ick-ness and id like to stray away from that if possible. =]
also to get the more neon/lime-ness i would use more yellow then blue but roughly what ratio would i need?

Madii

Re: best blue for mixing neon green?

Post by Madii » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:33 am

Is there a particular reason for why you can't use an existing lime/bright green like SFX Limelight or MP Electric Lizard?

If what you're asking is how to get a shade close to neon yellow (i.e. very bright neon yellow with green tones) like this or this then what you need to keep in mind are two things:

- not all yellows are made equal. Some yellows have more orange/golden base tones, and some have greener ones. You don't want to use one with a golden or orange base as this will muck up your shade by adding warmth to it. You want to stick to a more greenish yellow. Directions Fluorescent Glow is ideal, I think MP's Electric Banana is also a good bright yellow without a too strong orange/golden base.

- you probably don't want to be mixing using a blue. There are lots of different bases to blue dyes, and blue is still far too strong a colour to be mixing with for this bright shade of lime. To achieve this sort of neon yellow/green shade I would suggest starting with a yellow dye and adding an existing lime dye to it. Mixes I'd suggest for this would be something like using Directions Fluorescent as your base, and then adding dashes of a lime like (as mentioned above) SFX Limelight, MP Electric Lizard or Directions Spring Green.

If you are still determined to mix using a blue, then be aware that you will need only a tiny amount and you need to use a blue dye with a green base, not a purple one. Examples include:

Directions Atlantic Blue
Directions Midnight Blue (use sparingly, it's a very dark blue. It has purple pigments but strong green ones as well, which are brought out by any yellow in your base.)
Directions Lagoon Blue (believe it or not, it has purple pigments too in the mix but when used on a yellow base goes much more turquoise)
MP Shocking Blue
SFX Blue Haired Freak (debatable, it also has purple tones but is not nearly as deep as their other dark blues)
CC Sky Blue
CC Capri Blue
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

fishyadienlee

Post by fishyadienlee » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:10 am

thanks bunches!

the reason i wanted to use blue is that ive been told that most greens have crappy staying power, also because i dont like the dull-ness of MP electric lizard =/

those pictures you posted [the nail polish one to be exact] is exactly what im looking for!

so i would be better off using sfx's limelight then say electric blue?

since im in the US manic panic and sfx are the easiest to buy.
manic panic fits my price range but sfx will last longer XP choices choices choices!!!

Madii

Post by Madii » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:57 pm

fishyadienlee wrote:so i would be better off using sfx's limelight then say electric blue?

since im in the US manic panic and sfx are the easiest to buy.
manic panic fits my price range but sfx will last longer XP choices choices choices!!!
Hells no, Electric Blue is exceptionally purple, don't use it for this at all.

For Manic Panic I'd suggest mixing Electric Lizard and Electric Banana are your best bets if you really want a lime that yellow-toned. Remember that you need the whitest base you can get though, any gold in your bleached hair will give you shitty murky colour.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:58 am

I mix MP Electric Banana with Affinage (old formula) True Turquoise. It is brighter than Spring Green by Directions. I agree that MP and even SFX lime greens are very dull looking, they don't turn out neon enough, so you need a bright neon yellow base as Madii said, Electric Banana will suffice. Don't use SFX Blue Haired Freak though, it's a rather muted blue colour. SFX Fishbowl or Blue Mayhem would be the best to mix with.

fishyadienlee

Post by fishyadienlee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 pm

thanks gals! ive bought mp electric banana and sfx blue mayhem =] what would be a good ratio for the mix? i know ill use more yellow then blue but do u have a n idea of how much to use? :i2:

Madii

Post by Madii » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:22 pm

fishyadienlee wrote:thanks gals! ive bought mp electric banana and sfx blue mayhem
Why did you buy a purple-base blue for this

Did you even read anything I type

Why do I even fucking bother with you lot I mean really

fishyadienlee

Post by fishyadienlee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:53 am

wow well that was totally professional of you.

rivetlicker listed it in her comment that blue mayhem works and thats what i went with because it was available to me.

and yes i did read what you typed, you said nothing about not using blue mayhem. ive never bought this dye before so personally couldn't have know it was purple based.

i know no one is perfect but i really dont think i deserved to be yelled/cursed at over this.

Return to “Styling and Color”