Electric blue hair instead of black, bad batch help!

poxabomination

Electric blue hair instead of black, bad batch help!

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Alright guys I need your expert opinions. I just used the same "bright-black" (NOT blue black) dye on my boyfriend that I've been using on myself for the past year. Even when I went from bleached-and-neon-blue to black, it always went on exactly as it was supposed to- solid, even jet black with no brown or blue. For some reason (we must have gotten a bad batch- it did smell a bit off but I figured I was just imagining it) my boyfriends hair turned vibrant blue with no hints of black :lol: . His hair was red before. At first I though it must have something to do with the red, but even his 3 inches of "virgin" dark-brown roots are the same color blue so it can't be. I'm not even going to try and wrap my head around how it happened (but I'm definitely not buying it again for myself!) I just need to know if going over it with a warm brown/black should theoretically balance out the color.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

MrsEss

Re: Electric blue hair instead of black, bad batch help!

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm

It might not have been.

What colour was his hair before hand? I do know it's unwise, almost silly to go from blonde (or bleached) to black as it won't go over. You need to do it in stages, blonde to red (or brown) then to black.

It could have been his hair condition. What works for one will not necessarily work for another (they recommend strand tests for a reason!)

However, blue is WIN!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 pm

His hair was half natural brown, and half red, so it would seem like it would have worked D: Only the ends were even remotely damaged as his hair had only been bleached once. Even the natural, undyed, unbleached "virgin" brown roots turned blue, which like I said is the only reason I think the batch may have been funky (aside from the smell). I know that black can go funny colors depending on the hair color already, but I picked this one specifically because it went perfectly over my bleached and blue hair, as well as when I dyed over some of my red bangs, which are the same exact color his hair was!

I love the color, thats not the problem, he likes it too (blue IS win, my hair was blue for about 5 years and I miss it a bit :D). The whole point was to get it a natural color though, and he wanted black.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Maybe try a different brand?

I put permanent black on the top of my hair in April, & the blue is starting to show through, like the black is fading even though that is the "permanent" colour. haha!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah gonna go at with with a warm black/brown I think, if it doesn't work he's just going to shave it off which was what his original plan was, so no harm done really (except to the shallow, mohawk-loving side of me.. *sigh*) It seems like some higher power is just telling him its time to get rid of it :/

I'm just so.. bemused I guess. Like I'm not upset, I know this is what happens when you don't test it first, but I just dont get how it would go blue like this. Its a gorgeous color, if I could figure out how to make it happen every time I would recommend it to people who actually want dark blue hair :lol: But even on his roots it is nowhere near black.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I'll try and get a good picture of it- in certain light its gorgeous cobalty-electric blue, like outside in sunlight..
actually this is a good example of how it looks in the sun

And then inside its much darker midnight blue/purple, and then in the bathroom it looked grey blue- all of them were really pretty! :lol:

Unfortunately all I have is my cell and he doesn't get out of work til about 9 so it will be dark :c

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Madii wrote:
poxabomination wrote:I'll try and get a good picture of it- in certain light its gorgeous cobalty-electric blue, like outside in sunlight..
And then inside its much darker midnight blue/purple
This is my hair colour. There is nothing wrong with his hair, you need no black dye. ABORT ABORT.

;)

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:16 am

Yes we decided to keep it for a few months because its absolutely gorgeous :lol: I'm a sucker for blue too. In todays gloomy light it was much darker than it looked yesterday but still obviously midnight blue. I'm loving it- its like he has a different color every time we change rooms!

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:38 am

This sounds like a rather intriguing happy accident, and I too demand photos.

While I haven't ever really experienced what you described on my own hair, I once dyed some blond human hair extensions with a blue/black dye and they had a really obvious blue tint. Things just tend to happen with dyes, no matter how much you have used them on yourself/others.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:44 pm

I tried to take a photo with my camera and it came out gray.. its been raining and gloomy for the whole week so no photos yet in natural light :/

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Boo. This sounds like some really magical hair. ;)
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:50 pm

it is, it changes color really dramatically.. I remember somthing similr happening to my cousin when he fried his hair :lol: In one room it would be purple, another brown, outside BRIGHT violet, another place mauve, in the dark black. Odd, odd odd. Gonna be really hard to get a piture if I can't find my real camera though :c

Return to “Styling and Color”