Argan oil? Moroccan oil

Mkatsi

Argan oil? Moroccan oil

Post by Mkatsi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello ladies!
I was wondering if any of you had any experience of argan oil for your hair? Its the new miricle product, but has fantastic reviews all over the shop.
What I was wondering was do you think it makes a difference which I buy?
Moroccan oil as a brand name is very expensive, I cant see that it would be that much different from buying 100% argan oil from a cheaper ebay source or something like that. A couple of youtube videos tell me they are the same, but I wasnt sure.
Another possibility is Macadamia oil, but again, its pricey.

Thoughts?
my thanks

ShadowThrone

Re: Argan oil? Moroccan oil

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 pm

I haven't tried Moroccan oil, but I did get a small bottle of macadamia oil to try out. I quite like it, I've just been using it just to finish my hair really, it works well at smoothing it down without being greasy. I tried it out on my OH's (totally natural and undyed) hair to smooth the ends and it seemed to work really well on his hair too.

It suggests on the bottle you can add it to deep conditioners etc, but I haven't tried that yet!

I think I read somewhere you can use Moroccan oil in bleach mixture too? I'd be interested to know how that works!

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:19 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntaresJB

Post by AntaresJB » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 pm

I was working at Sally Beauty Supply for a while and we got a ton of people asking about Moroccanoil (the brand name) and then came out with a bunch of argan oil products. It really is very good stuff. I haven't used the pure stuff, just the stuff they sell at Sally's, but I really loved it. It helped a ton when I bleached the ever-loving crap out of my hair. :)
-- Antares J. Barr --
Like chicks with acoustic guitars? Check out my music on Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/antaresjb

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm

yea sallys has the argan oil, by proclaim, and one n only. they work just as well as the branded morroccan, but much much cheaper. i love the stuff. and it smells amazing. i use it before and after blowdrying and it makes my hair so sleek and soft.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:15 am

OT Macadamias are a native plant here in Australia... My next door neighbour has one and it hangs over my backyard. FREE MACADAMIAS. But then again, the reason that they're so expensive (even here), have you ever tried to crack one?! LOL. Even with a vice!!! The amount of manpower needed is huge rofl.
However, macadamia oil is awesome (especially in conditioner).

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Haha nice :D

And thanks everyone :) Sally's here doesnt do the one and only brand, it has Argan Secret, but its a little more expensive again :/
I shall be getting one or the other soon I think though so I shall post my experiences :)

skaryxkerry

Post by skaryxkerry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

i recently got 'hawaiian silky' brand argan oil heat protectant...
works like a dream. left my recently lifted platinum blonde hair with body, no excess oilyness, and it smells sooo good :i9:
who am i trying to impress, who could care less?

http://www.myspace.com/brideofskankenstein

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:02 pm

but is it any better than good old fashioned olive oil? I haven't tried argon oil as it is expensive. I have had great results with olive oil and i really don't know if it is different enough to make more of a difference.

Anyone had experience of both on your hair and can tell me if there is a noticible difference between the two?

personally I have been heating up olive oil to 'earm' and leaving it on for an hour or two and it makes a huge difference to my dry bleached hair.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:47 pm

I've not tried argan oil on my hair, but I know it does wonders for the skin. I was told that the harvesters/pressers have never heard of acne.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:05 pm

We carry Moroccan Oil at the salon and it's a big seller. I've used it a few times and would honestly say it's not the most fantastic thing I've ever used and something similar and less expensive will likely get you the same result. I didn't like it for my hair at all, it was way too greasy (even after washing). I had better luck with straight up coconut oil as a deep conditioner, but a little goes a REALLY long way!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 pm

I forgot I even posted this. I have been using it since the post, and actually I really really like it. Mine is not pure, its the "one and only" formula. Its not a miracle cure, but nothing is. I will say my hair feels stronger, and if nothing else it is defiantly fantastic as a smoother, keeps down fly-aways, makes my hair look shiny and healthy, smells yum too.
I like the feel of my hair after using it, and its good on skin too.

It does seem worth the price, my bottle was around £12 and its lasted ages. As said, a little does go very far.

The science is basically the same as coconut oil in that the structure of the oil mimics the structure of the sebum in our hair. It also helps re-fill the hair from the inside out, similar to a protein filler.

I would say that my hair is naturally very thick, course and and frizzy, so this is great for me. I can see that for normal hair it could be too greasy.

Return to “Styling and Color”