PURPLE HAIR HELP! & maybe some silver...

kaytedies

PURPLE HAIR HELP! & maybe some silver...

Post by kaytedies » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Thats it! I've had it with the BLOO and am going the way of purple!
I'm also ditching the Cruella style again and am opting for some purple on top with black underneath, and some silver- I'd like to somehow layer the hair that frames my face so that the purple is shorter than the black, and the purple frames the black and the black frames my face...and adding some hand made clip in feather extensions...when I get the supplies ;D

These are basic examples of the color I am attempting to achieve:
Image (This is a photo straight off the Manic Panic Ultra Violet Page)

(Taken from the Manic Panic blog)

I was a deep purple, something dark and vibrant. My sister suggest Manic Panic Purple Haze, but I looked on the MP website, and purple haze has a little too much of a pinkish hue to me. I am leaning towards Ultra Violet...but someone else told me it comes out sheer -_-
Mixing colors scares me because I don't know the proper ratio to use and I hate having to redo my hair over and over and over. i go work full time and go to school so I have barely any time for experimenting with my hair anymore :(

I also want to know how to achieve a silver hair color. Is it possible?
Maybe something like this but a little darker:

Ultra Violet is probably the direction I will go in as far as purple goes but I don't know. I want everyones thoughts and opinions...and pictures if you have them ;)

Librarynerd

Re: PURPLE HAIR HELP! & maybe some silver...

Post by Librarynerd » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:53 am

I don't have much pro advice but I've used Purple Haze it it was really muddy/faded looking in my hair. I dyed over it 2 days later with a mix of a tad of Midnight Blue(MP) and Candy Apple Red(SFX). I got a vibrant pink toned purple.
I love to mix colors:) I love surprises and I've never had disaster with manic panic/SFX type dyes.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:34 am

To get my hair silver I use Wella Koleston /88, but that's more of a light silver. Could mix it with a tiny bit of /11 to make it a bit darker.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I think you should use Special Effects instead. I did not have luck with Manic Panic's purples. Maybe Deep Purple or Joyride would get you to the color you want.

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Thankies!

Will you tell me more about Wella Koleston /88? Where would I find it and what I would need to know about using it?

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:14 pm

You'll have to buy it online. You mix the /88 with Wella Koleston 10vol peroxide and plonk it on bleached hair, et voila. :)

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Brilliant! Thankies :)

MichelleBichos

Post by MichelleBichos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Gawd, I've tried SO MANY purples!! :P Special Effects are great, but tend to be a little dark unless they're washed out straight away.

Manic Panic's Ultra Violet is the best, but sometimes it looks bright blue, and sometimes bright purple. For a while my hairdresser was mixing the Ultra Violet with Purple Haze, and that was toning down the blue a bit ...

Hair dyeing is a serious business, haaha!

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 am

I ended up buying the Purple Haze.

I bleached my hair last night, and the black came up pretty well...but the blue is fighting me -_-

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 am

Some of the blue is faded-ish but it still seems too dark for the purple to go over it, especially since my roots and a couple inches down are SUPER platinum. EVIL HAAAAAAIR!

Battlesheep

Post by Battlesheep » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 pm

The first and second picture remind me of SFX Wildflower and the 3rd and 4th of SFX Pimpin Purple. Maybe you could make a mix of those since Pimpin Purple is more pink toned and Wildflower more blue toned.

Hope the MP Purple Haze works out for you. I have no idea what I did wrong when I used it since my hair was already faded purple... it turned my hair brown. I'll be curious to see your result!
*boing!*

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:09 am

I talked to a hair dresser at Sallys today who said MP Purple Haze would be the one she picks. And a couple other people suggested it...I'm curious to see how it turns out too. If it fails, I'll throw it at someone ;D

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 am

I used MP Ultraviolet. I agree with the above, it is a blue-toned purple. I had no trouble with it being bright on my bleached hair, and it faded out to dark grey then silver, then verrry light grey.

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 pm

I've found for a REALLY nice purple to use mainly SFX Wildflower and put in a bit of Deep Purple to get a nice colour. I wouldn't use too much Deep Purple because when it starts to fade it becomes a bit pinkish. I'm sure it's because it's more of a red base and Wildflower has a good blue. (If I'm wrong on the base, I apologize)

Return to “Styling and Color”