My new baby... Spike!!

Make-up, Outfits etc.
Forum rules
Any show offs - not hair related - go here!

1) You must keep posts PG13.
2) If your pics are likely to be considered a little 'saucy' (sexy / suggestive shots are fine- so long as they are arty!) put NOT WORK SAFE/ NWS in your title.
3) When replying to a post, remember this is NOT the critique section.
4) Comments like " I love your eyes/ my god you are hot" are not helpful! Include them but please comment on the item/s being shown off too!
5) This Show Off section is only for showing off non hair related products, not making sales. Please make no references to eBay, A and P, or any kind of sales. You may offer the same item for sale in A and P, but no cross linking between A and P and Show Off. Show Off should be a place to comment and encourage each other; we don't want Show Off to become a billboard for sellers.
dragongirl

My new baby... Spike!!

Post by dragongirl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

This is my new baby Spike (named after James Masters in Buffy). He is a 6 month old Albino African Pymy Hedgehog, and he loves cuddles.

MissPlastik

Re: My new baby... Spike!!

Post by MissPlastik » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 pm

squeee ^__^

cutes cutes

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:13 pm

wow, thats the scariest hedgehog i've ever seen! hehe
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Jennilox

Post by Jennilox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm

adorable :D

venus

Post by venus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Vex88 wrote:wow, thats the scariest hedgehog i've ever seen! hehe
Just what I was thinking :lol:

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Oh my gosh! He is so cute. :D What are they like as pets?

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

So. Flippin'. Adorable!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

So. Flippin'. Adorable!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

sooooooooo cute
*Manda*

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Wowzers he is gorgeous!
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:13 pm

oh god its precious! Is he very friendly? He looks it! I personally haven't heard too many nice things about hedgehogs, mostly that they're very shy and tend to just curl up and hide instead of interact, but I imagine they warm up to you in time like anything else. I am jealous! :D Definitely cool.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

[[Violet.Nightmare]]

Post by [[Violet.Nightmare]] » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:12 am

he's gorgeous! :)
"Once you cressp you just cant splessp"

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 am

What a gorgeous little hedgehog! I love those, but I don't think I could manage a nocturnal pet!

dragongirl

Post by dragongirl » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:19 am

poxabomination wrote:oh god its precious! Is he very friendly? He looks it! I personally haven't heard too many nice things about hedgehogs, mostly that they're very shy and tend to just curl up and hide instead of interact, but I imagine they warm up to you in time like anything else. I am jealous! :D Definitely cool.
He's very friendly. He curls up and huffs if he is frightened but apart from that he's quite a curios animal and loves climbing all over me. He's getting more used to us now. We rescued him as he had been sold to a yound child so he'd been quite negleted for the first few months of his life.

PrettyDreadful

Post by PrettyDreadful » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute haha

Black-Sunshine

Post by Black-Sunshine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Awww so cute! x
http://www.blacksunshineiow.etsy.com Handmade Dreads, hair bows, necklaces, bags & more!

http://www.blacksunshineiow.com

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:24 pm

oh thats awful, I hate parents who get their kids pets and don't think about it first.
Thats kind of why we have our iguana. I am totally against keeping iguanas in captivity because of the special diet and huuuuuge enclosure they need when they get full size and how dangerous they are.. but when I went into a crappy pet store and saw this poor thing all bony and brown in a tiny enclosure set up for a bearded dragon (beardies are desert, iggys are tropical D:) with no foods, I had to take him. Else he would have been sold to some kid who fed him pellets and gave him no UVB and kept him in a 10 gallon until he died. :(

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:28 am

poxabomination wrote:oh thats awful, I hate parents who get their kids pets and don't think about it first.
Thats kind of why we have our iguana. I am totally against keeping iguanas in captivity because of the special diet and huuuuuge enclosure they need when they get full size and how dangerous they are.. but when I went into a crappy pet store and saw this poor thing all bony and brown in a tiny enclosure set up for a bearded dragon (beardies are desert, iggys are tropical D:) with no foods, I had to take him. Else he would have been sold to some kid who fed him pellets and gave him no UVB and kept him in a 10 gallon until he died. :(

You wouldn't believe the stories of heard of people trying to feed carniverous animals lettuce and stuff. The store where I got my Ball Python was telling me about a woman who got her kid a snake and came back a while later saying he wouldn't eat. They tried to explain that you can't putt lettuce in a Ball's tank and hope he'll eat it, he needs mice. She refused and said she'd never feed him mice, it was barbaric, and she'd just keep trying to feed him veggies. I hate to think what happened to that poor snake :(

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:29 am

and that animal is flippin adorable!
I can't wait til Im rich and can have an animal sanctuary. ~wiggles~

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Yeah its awful... the thing iwth iguanas is although they're really common animals no ones done research into what they naturally do int he wild until recently; where they hang out, what they eat, etc. So a lot of people still think they're supposed to eat some animal protein- NO. No crickets, no worms, no baby mice, nothing. Just because they will eat anything that moves (they do.. trust me) doesn't mean they're supposed to. It messes up the absorption of calcium which is something thats crucial to their survival.
Also, people are like "oh they eat like... grass and like.. lettuce and junk.. right?" NONONONO!
Lettuce is like 99% water, there is absolutely NO nutritional value. Thats why people eat salad to feel full but lose weight. I don't want my already malnourished iguana losing weight. They need high-nutrient green, collard greens, dandelion, kale, chard, etc. But you have to be aware of the different ratios of nutrients and minerals. Its really kind of complex. Not hard, or even expesive (it costs like maybe $5 week to feed mine at MOST?) but you have to be aware. Certain things you wouldnt expect are toxic as well.
The worst is the UVB light, which IS expensive.. $35 to $70 each what I've seen. It mimicks natural sunlight and makes reptiles (and people) produce vitamin D, which is responsible for absorption of calcium. It doesn't matter how much calcium you spinkle ont heir food; if they have no vitamin d they will not absorb it, get metabolic bone disease, have all their bones break/twist/turn into spaghetti, and die a horrible slow death. The light cannot pass through glass because it filters out uvb, it has to be 6 inches or less fromt he basking spot or it dissipates before it reaches the animal, and even if the buld still works it has to be replaced every 6 months because it will no longer be producing adequate amounts of UVB.
Then theres the "if I keep a fish/reptile in a small tank it won't outgrow the tank" REALLY? I wonder why when I worked at a pet store we got so many iguanas in because they didnt have room for them? And why oh WHY did we get soooo many fish in that had outgrown their 10 gallons because people didn't listen to us and bought them anyway? Iguanas end up needing at least 6 feet tall, 6 feet wide, and 3 feet deep cages full grown. We're planning on just converting a room for ours when he gets that big; he may have to hang out in a huge tank first for a while though until we have a stable place to live.
I don't even know half of what I probably shoudl know about them.. I had kind of a crash course when I found this poor little guy, but they honestly should be limited to zoos.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:13 am

I've owned three hedgehogs (one was albino!) and I purchased all of them from pet stores when I noticed they seemed unwell. Two eventually died of cancer and one died of wobbly hedgehog syndrome; I don't know if their sniffles were related. I have a hard time leaving pet shops without an animal because there's always one or two I spot that seem unwell.

I miss my hedgies so much. :cry: Yours is so darn cute!

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 am

SQUEEEE!!

He's so cute!! I've always been fascinated with hedgehogs. They seem like they'd have a lot of personality.
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Sun May 01, 2011 7:35 pm

he's not a pet is he?
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun May 01, 2011 9:56 pm

trippytroll wrote:he's not a pet is he?
Well he's not wild! :lol:

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Sun May 01, 2011 10:32 pm

well i thought all hedgehogs were wild, unless born in captivity kinda thing or being released, im absolutely gobsmacked you can have them as pets!
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Return to “Show Off - Everything Else”