Do you Fallow Trends

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
skakitty

Re: Do you Fallow Trends

Post by skakitty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:20 pm

I kinda like the emo look, i think some of the hairstyles are cute and the heavy black liner :D

I think the only 'trend' i've followed was being a 'ska-kid' but it was really just a take on the 'punk rock' look eg: criminal damage shorts/colourful bracelets/ska band patches/bright coloured t-shirts.

I think now i'm a bit older i can't be bothered to completely follow a 'look/trend'! it's effort!
I shop in primark for work stuff, check out tkmaxx for cool t-shirts, i like david& golaith and most of my stuff is from camden market so mix&match really!
I don't really care if one day i'm sk8punk and another i'm normal- it's just what i fancy wearing :)

Kaminoke

Post by Kaminoke » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Ok so... given that fashion has trends but yet you don't want to know about that (although it was the first thing I thought of as well...) want to clarify your original post a little, so I write about what you want? :P

Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss

Post by Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:26 am

MORNING EVERYONE I JUST WAKE UP!!
I know I am a bum :roll:

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:46 am

never been a big trend person, but i dig when stuff i like is 'in style' because you can usually find a lot of it cheap, and stock up for when they are back to selling 80's leggings for a year instead of wide leg pants or something..saves hunting through thrift stores or sewing/altering (which is how i get most of my clothing)

a while back when that 'punk rock' style was in (at least around here) before the days of emo (hmm, even just before avril lavign pop-rock styles were in) you could get a lot of black studded stuff..great time to stock up on purses :lol:

depending on where you live maybe trends aren't as obvious? here if you go to the mall, most of the younger women stores always have the same type of clothes at the same time..so there's definite trends around here.

otherwise, i buy it if i like it and pass if i don't
i feel like it's similar to trying to buy black nailpolish and cheap fishnet stockings in stores anytime but october about 13 years ago (yikes, no really i'm not that old)..it was hard to find, maybe only specialty shops would carry them in january...now, thanks to trends out there it's easy to find in any common store, and i don't have to stock up at halloween :) bonus

edit: just read back (i'm tired) to see trends didn't mean fashion?
probably just a difference in opinion here, but wouldn't all those other more in depth 'trends' be a little more like subcultures? and what's BJD? i mean, when you look at fashion mags it talks about latest trends..and they are usually seasonal..though i guess people could drastically change their scene that often, but i thought emo was more like a subculture, like goth, cyber, rivet, etc...
Last edited by iamdolleyes on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Hotmess

Post by Hotmess » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:50 am

I'm more into the hip-hop urban fashion than anything else. There is a lot of gothic/punk/emo trends that are incorporated into urban fashion. Ah, I'd like to say that I feel sexier dressing in urban than in full clad 'goth'. :D

I am not a fan of PVC, leather, velvet, and really big fluffy monster fur items.

Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss

Post by Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:54 am

Hotmess wrote:I'm more into the hip-hop urban fashion than anything else. There is a lot of gothic/punk/emo trends that are incorporated into urban fashion. Ah, I'd like to say that I feel sexier dressing in urban than in full clad 'goth'. :D

I am not a fan of PVC, leather, velvet, and really big fluffy monster fur items.
I tried to wear a PVC skirt but..... i just felt like there was a target on my but. so i can understand.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:21 am

Are we on about fashion trends such as Nautical, 80s, folk etc or are we on about emo/scene etc?

KeiVendetta

Post by KeiVendetta » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:28 am

I buy and wear what ever I like. I don't really follow the "in" fashion mainly cos if you aren't stick thin you'll look terrible in it. I enjoy throwing random vintage or stuff from the thrift store in with retail items. I don't really dress to impress, I dress to express ;)

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:56 am

starlight wrote:well I'm confused, I thought this was about fashion too.. ah well.
Yeah, same here.. I'm lost now :/

malice_doll wrote: :lol: when I read the title I wanted an unseeded field trend.

I'm actually a bit dissappointed that the thread wasn't about that. Fields are great ^^

LOL*SNORT* Wow, we're geeks... :D
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Sick Puppy

Post by Sick Puppy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:09 am

I can't say I have ever followed any trends...

There was stage in Secondary school where I REALLY tried to be like my friends and wear what they were wearing and stuff... That lasted for about a year - and afterwards I realised that there is no point in wearing something if I am going to be uncomfortable in it...

I mainly shop at Op Shops now - I don't think I have bought a "brand new" piece of clothing in a few months now - asides from knickers :P

I prefer to have one off pieces and what not to wearing something that I will see other people wear... Somethings I get and the next day it is part of the latest fashion - last year I was rifling through an uber cheap rack at a local teeny fashion shop and picked up a pair of Leopard print jeans for $6... I'm hearing about people paying up to $90 for a pair like mine 8-)

If I do see something new season that I like heaps, I will buy it, but I usually customise it with some tie dye or UV fabric paint :P

I LOVE clubwear - anything UBER bright, futuristic and ridiculous has my name all over it... And I am the sort of person who will whack in my hair falls, striped blazer jacket, skull top, black jeans and silver platform boots and still think I look cool :P

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 am

I'm wondering if the older you get the less you notice trends?

I mean when I was at primary school we went through loads of trends; Pogs, Marbles, Yo-yo's etc etc. (I cant remember any trends from when I was in secondary though I'm sure there were some!)
And if you look what the OP posted as examples: "being emo was a trend, wearing your anime costumes to school was a trend, black rubber braces were a trend" I think thats more in line with what happened when I was at school.
Recently the only trends I've noticed tend to be fashion, or when everybody turned emo :| Maybe I hath become old
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

Sick Puppy

Post by Sick Puppy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:21 am

I'd definitely say that was true Miss Sami...

When you are younger, friends and fitting in is a HUGE part of your life - so I guess paying close attention to trends and stuff was a good way to look cool with friends..
When I was a kid, it was Marbles, Tazos, Flower Rubber Bracelets, Best Friend Necklaces etc... Theree was even a stage where people were mutilating themselves at one of my primary schools! "Chicken Burns" were VERY popular - though they were one thing I NEVER did... It involved picking a place on your arm and rubbing it really hard and fast with your fingers until you have burnt the top layers of your skin off! The more burns you had - the cooler you were to some people - I thought they were morons. It was SO nasty!

As [some] people get older, I think they realised that friends don't validate everything and learn to create their own path...

I don't think trends are less "there", but becoming more savvy... Kids have gone from fighting over marbles in the playground to battling each other with Yu Gi Oh cards..

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:09 am

i don't, but mainly because i can't afford to buy new clothes every few months. i get second hand clothes normally which i buy maybe once every few months. i occasionally get something that's trendy if i'm with my sister (who is a big fashion freak) but it will probably be cheap! i got a pair of Diesel skinny jeans for £10 in tkmaxx the other day, i wear them with my platforms!
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

zombie

Post by zombie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:50 am

I hate the ''trend''.
I often go to the mall but i rarerly, rarely find anything.
Slaughter is the best medicine.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 pm

<<Miss_Sami>> wrote:I'm wondering if the older you get the less you notice trends?

I mean when I was at primary school we went through loads of trends; Pogs, Marbles, Yo-yo's etc etc. (I cant remember any trends from when I was in secondary though I'm sure there were some!)
And if you look what the OP posted as examples: "being emo was a trend, wearing your anime costumes to school was a trend, black rubber braces were a trend" I think thats more in line with what happened when I was at school.
Recently the only trends I've noticed tend to be fashion, or when everybody turned emo :| Maybe I hath become old
I think you're right.. I can't think of any recent trends other than the emo/scene thing, and that's more because of work than anything else. Scene girls sure do buy a lot of wefts, heh :P

I do sort of follow fashion, though. Has anyone seen pictures of Betsey Johnson's spring line? I can't wait until the diluted versions of that stuff finds its way down to the mall :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

supervixxen

Post by supervixxen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:41 pm

ikickshins wrote: I do sort of follow fashion, though. Has anyone seen pictures of Betsey Johnson's spring line? I can't wait until the diluted versions of that stuff finds its way down to the mall :)
I'm in love with that collection. The prints are fantastic, and the sheer pieces are so beautiful. Looking forward to paying a visit to a Betsey Johnson store! :)

- supervixxen

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:49 pm

I like how the dresses (especially the ones with the kiddie prints on them) have kind of a 70's vintage thing going on. Like this one:

I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

KeiVendetta

Post by KeiVendetta » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:53 am

ikickshins wrote:I like how the dresses (especially the ones with the kiddie prints on them) have kind of a 70's vintage thing going on. Like this one:

Awe that dress would be cute if it didn't have that terrible hoop pettie coat under it.

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:09 am

Never been on to fallow any kinda trend im me really some days ill wake up shove on jeans and a baby doll top and look as nomal as anyone in the street otherdays ill wake up shove on my darkest clothes and black makeup and be gothic for the day. I change from day to day! people call me emo and i must always stand out as people always comment but to me im just... me! nothing more nothing less! i ware what i like do my make up as i like it and im pretty straight forward with my personality :D Ive never changed for anyone or anything!
**Zombie <^/._.\^> Kitty**

http://twitter.com/JayJayCuppycake

davendor

Post by davendor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss wrote:
davendor wrote:I don't follow trends, but I do like most of the gothic fashion on the high street now. I do keep up with what's 'in' and what's 'not in', but that's because I usually end up working in retail so make an effort to know.

Couldn't afford to follow trends anyway! It is nice when something you like is in trend and cheap though.
Sooo true!! I worked in a fabric store and a drug store. Mostly the only retail trends I know are when fabric is the cheapest and what type of condom/KY is popular =/..
That's funny and wrong all in one go :lol:

The thing I find with the 'emo' trend is that in most cases from behind I honestly can't tell if a person's a boy or a girl :oops:

TBH I care more about my accesories than my clothes!

Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss

Post by Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

<<Miss_Sami>> wrote:I'm wondering if the older you get the less you notice trends?

Well maybe its also where you are.
Were I am I had more and more people getting in my high school getting tattoos because that was a trend. the more tattoo you had the more of the "badass you where", getting snake bites was a trend. everyone and their mama had snakebites because it was the "in thing". when i went to sally beauty store, green hair dye is always missing because everyone is now trying to have green hair like heath ledger. plus i had tons of people saying pink was the new black and hello kitty was the new skull and cross bone in the underground club. so maybe its a combo of subcultures/trends. idk i was just curious if people fallowed.

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:42 pm

I dont think its where I am, I live in a pretty big city so I'm sure there are loads of trends going off - but I'm just not aware of them! ;)
All I was trying to point out, is that once you have left high school (or whatever) you dont notice trend like the ones you are suggesting as much.
I was only trying to create an explanation for everyone writing about fashion trends, and you saying this wasn't what you really meant. :D
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

Dude

Post by Dude » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:44 pm

<<Miss_Sami>> wrote: All I was trying to point out, is that once you have left high school (or whatever) you dont notice trend like the ones you are suggesting as much.
I agree too, Once I left school I lost interest in trends or whatever.
There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Princess_Anime

Post by Princess_Anime » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:03 pm

as stated previously, I will like whatever I like, wether that be emo, punk, mainstream, hoodies. *shrugs* making it up.. but some things to me, just because i really like something that is populor, doesn't neccesarily make me like trendy things. okay okay with the whole anime scene though, alot of people tend to stereotype otakus as just wapanese kids..

*shakes head* what i mean to say is, don't judge a book by its cover! someone could seem to like something alot, but I think its a good thing sometimes when something becomes mainstream so other people canl like it too,thus having more in common. but also, mainstream can attract the wrong sorts of people (these 'trend follows). I dont think i make sense here >_>;

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”