LHC

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Sick Puppy

Re: LHC

Post by Sick Puppy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:35 am

Go Stephen! If its safe enough for him - its safe enough for me...

And if it wasn't for the fact that I was pooping myself over all this - I would never have gone on Ebay at 1am and won an awesome UV Pink and White Cyberdog corset for $13.00 :mrgreen:

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:44 am

absolutebrutal wrote:welll stephen hawkins just announced on the national news that he's not worried one bit, and we have nothing to worry about either
Now that's a big relief :D I'll be sleeping a whole lot better now.

It's things like this that keep me worrying, although I know it's not likely anything bad would happen, it still sits in the back of my mind and every now and again I just really get the creeps from it. Sometimes I just wish I didn't have the brain capacity to worry about stupid things this and go on with my simple, yet carefree life.
Travelling through time, finding my future

http://sheep24.superbij.nl

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:47 am

I've been watching it and it's nothing too big. October 21st they're going to be smashing them into one another, which apparently is when the REAL mystery of what will happen will come into question. I'm disappointed. I got all excited for nothing.

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 am

The scientist on BBC news this morning said they arent planning collisions until a little before christmas or after it. I cant seem to find any official sources on the net that say when they plan to do it..only wikipedia...and well,that cant be trusted much

Zeddread

Post by Zeddread » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 am

Pallidity wrote:I've been watching it and it's nothing too big. October 21st they're going to be smashing them into one another, which apparently is when the REAL mystery of what will happen will come into question. I'm disappointed. I got all excited for nothing.
Oh no...Thats my birthday :o

I want to have THE FULL DAY! :shock:

:D
"Hah, Haa! I'll be back to varnish you later you little pine tart!"
Red Rebellion! <3

Dude

Post by Dude » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:44 am

Stephen Hawking has put a £50 bet on this.

I read up on it (as everyone is talking about it) and I saw this:
Even the Large Hadron Collider has to pay its bills, and it consumes as much power as Geneva. Who would want a red letter for that kind of money dropping through the door?
Hawking also said that if a disaster was going to happen it would have by now.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/lin ... 1785292058

Like Nikki I trust Stephen Hawking
There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

starlight

Post by starlight » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:14 am

I love how a lot of the media got the wrong end of the stick on this.. all saying we're going to die today when actually they're not colliding anything for weeks yet.. "world ends on wednesday" obviously makes a better headline than "biggest physics experiment in the history of the world starts on wednesday" :lol: though, I just saw on the news, they've said they've got the particles acclerating round the ring relatively easily.. tis quite exciting methinks.. even if I don't entirely understand it :lol:

Dude

Post by Dude » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:18 am

I personally think that nothing will happen (by that i mean the end of the world)

If they thought it would be a risk they would not have let it go ahead. But then again .....
Plus if it fails, the morons will only make a bigger one. I am not worried, if I did I would be a wreck now.
There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:16 pm

A Dutch radiostation just contacted one of the Dutch scientists that are working there at the moment, because this thing has been all over the news all day and the dj's wanted some answers to be able to understand the how and what.
The scientist explained that at any moment that those particles they're planning to collide later are already colliding with eachother, our atmosphere, the sun, other stars and everything else in the universe, and from the beginning of the universe up until now they've always been doing that. Because it's impossible to study those collisions up close in space from the earth, they study them with the help of the LHC. So they're only recreating the collisions that are happening all around our little earth conitinuously.
During these collisions in space, with our atmosphere and so on, tiny black holes do form, but they disappear again within an instance and form no threat to us nor to other parts of the universe. The scientist said that if they did, the whole universe would have been slorped up by black holes billions of years ago.

The whole thing has been blown up out of proportion and people always have trouble to see things in perspective. When they think of a black hole, they imagine this huge hole, thousands of lightyears in diametre, slorping up everything that surrounds it. Why would the universe still expand if black holes would be pulling in everything there is.
Just think of Men in Black: a universe can be as small as a marble, why couldn't a black hole be a millimetre in diametre. In such proportions it doesn't stand a chance and poses no threat to us, but technically it still is a 'black hole'.

And now my brain hurts :D
Travelling through time, finding my future

http://sheep24.superbij.nl

Zeddread

Post by Zeddread » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:20 pm

This is a live update site. They are posting little bulletins on the progress every few minutes or so.

I've been updating all morning. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/upd ... tml#update
"Hah, Haa! I'll be back to varnish you later you little pine tart!"
Red Rebellion! <3

kezerb

Post by kezerb » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:53 pm

I woke up at 10:05am today and though 'Damn I'm not dead I have to go to college' :lol:

What confuses me though is how people think its going to create a blackhole when I'm certain I was taught that a blackhole is created when a star dies :|

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:08 pm

kezerb wrote:I woke up at 10:05am today and though 'Damn I'm not dead I have to go to college' :lol:

What confuses me though is how people think its going to create a blackhole when I'm certain I was taught that a blackhole is created when a star dies :|

hmm. i dunno about that. stars usually die out a long time before they're 'visible' to earth... or so i think (possibly learned this, as i dunno where the idea came from, usually it's stuff i picked up on growing up). i could be wrong about that. but stars 'die' all the time, i believe?
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

Dude

Post by Dude » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:15 pm

The likelyhood of it ending the world was the same possibility of a dinosaur coming to life and a UFO landing on its back. I shall watch Barney carefully for the next few weeks. :geek:
Also it would take the energy of a collapsing sun to create a black hole. It would be impossible to create that much energy on earth, and if it was it would probably tear the earth apart anyways.

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroy ... rldyet.com

Oh and this:

http://qntm.org/?board

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:35 am

Miffy wrote:A Dutch radiostation just contacted one of the Dutch scientists that are working there at the moment, because this thing has been all over the news all day and the dj's wanted some answers to be able to understand the how and what.
The scientist explained that at any moment that those particles they're planning to collide later are already colliding with eachother, our atmosphere, the sun, other stars and everything else in the universe, and from the beginning of the universe up until now they've always been doing that. Because it's impossible to study those collisions up close in space from the earth, they study them with the help of the LHC. So they're only recreating the collisions that are happening all around our little earth conitinuously.
During these collisions in space, with our atmosphere and so on, tiny black holes do form, but they disappear again within an instance and form no threat to us nor to other parts of the universe. The scientist said that if they did, the whole universe would have been slorped up by black holes billions of years ago.

The whole thing has been blown up out of proportion and people always have trouble to see things in perspective. When they think of a black hole, they imagine this huge hole, thousands of lightyears in diametre, slorping up everything that surrounds it. Why would the universe still expand if black holes would be pulling in everything there is.
Just think of Men in Black: a universe can be as small as a marble, why couldn't a black hole be a millimetre in diametre. In such proportions it doesn't stand a chance and poses no threat to us, but technically it still is a 'black hole'.

And now my brain hurts :D

'Slorp' is a brilliant word :D
Thanks for this explanation - my hubby keeps trying to explain it to me and I keep getting lost - he's very intelligent ..sometimes I think TOO intelligent!.. and finds it difficult to explain things to someone without the same background years of knowledge in physics and maths!
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 pm

I thought they were utter tw*ts for doing this with all the killer strangelet theories.
why even attempt it if there was the risk of ending the universe ??!! ARGH. makes me angry.
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

dreamNcolor

Post by dreamNcolor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 pm

I've started articles on this, but never seem to finish them. :)

If it happens, it happens & I'm going to chase after those scientists! If it doesn't then we all get to continue living life. :D
I only dream in color.

sinn_ister

Post by sinn_ister » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:26 pm

davendor wrote:I read about this in the paper yesterday. Made me laugh a bit at the porspect of it making france collapse into the big hole they've made :lol:

Personally I don't think it'll work like they hope. They'll probably end up with a black mesa sort of thing and before you know it that part of Europe will be head crab central :shock:

Ready you crow bars! :roll:
LOL!!!!

Dude

Post by Dude » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 pm

The LHC *is* a black hole - Its already swallowed 5-6 billion!

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:23 am

For people outside the UK, MSNBC is keeping track of it on their website as well, so if you can't view the BBC links just check out MSNBC.com

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:42 am

ALRIGHT STOP! .....

LHC TIME!

[you need to see this to believe it - scientists are a great laugh!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:39 am

its broken down! - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7626944.stm :i9:

*edit* what??? why is this showing up in a&p for me?
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

Sick Puppy

Post by Sick Puppy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:58 pm

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Hahahaha a friend of mine showed me that, it's the silliest idea for a web domain I've seen in a long time!

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Bwahaha, I saw that site. xD

Apparently part of it is broken and is going to take at least 2 months to repair =[

LifeDeathRebirth

Post by LifeDeathRebirth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:59 pm

The major collision was set for sometime in October, but I read an article recently about there being damage to the collider and the date was set back by at least two months. I find the whole thing very interesting. I'm not too worried about the whole "end of the world" thing. I'm excited about what they'll find.
born in the dust and cradled in the dark

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”