The origins of your name...

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
ClaireCalavera

The origins of your name...

Post by ClaireCalavera » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:38 pm

Hey everyone, couldn't remember if we had this topic or not, but I thought it would be quite interesting to ask: Why did you pick the username you're using now?

For me, ClaireCalavera is my stage/business/pen name. It started as a joke between me and my OH because he wanted to change his surname to something cool and we'd just been playing Grim Fandango, so I jokingly said "Calavera?" and we both loved it! I then kept asking him if he would ever change his name as then I could have it when I married him, to which he replied "haha yeah well why wait, why don't you change your name now?" And thus, I did! (Although not officially, this is the name I use on the interwebz) ;)

So, what made you chose your name?
"Make any joke you want, you know I look good" - Stewie Griffin

Dude

Re: The origins of your name...

Post by Dude » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Because I have become a little more laid back than I used to be ... This is not happen over night :lol:
And apparently I am alot like The Dude in The Big Lebowski, minus being male,with a beard and long hair ;)
There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Well...

mine is my real name.

I'm no good with making up names, and I thought it would be easy for people ;)
"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm

My one has a boring story behind it - my friend made it up as a nickname for me (I can't remember when or why, I think it was a few years ago) and I liked it, and it's stuck ever since :P
More human than human

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Mine too is my name :P
I'm usually Manadh - which means Omen or Good Luck in Gaelic.
Just for whatever reason when signing up to HH I chose not to use that one :? Plus its nice to be referred to as your name, not a Username
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

Amelia_G

Post by Amelia_G » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Mine's my first name & last initial. So, not very exciting, but I got tired of using various odd usernames over the years ;)

Killaya

Post by Killaya » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:53 pm

I came up with this name when I was about 9 years old. It just came to me one day. I've stuck with it ever since... It USED to be that whenever you googled "Killaya", I was the only person who came up. Since then a lot of people have "borrowed"*cough* STOLEN*cough* my name :cry: D: It's pretty frustrating but kind of neat at the same time to know that I was the original Killaya. Hehe. <3~
There is a hate that burns within
The most desparate place I have ever been
Tried to get back to where I'm from
The closer I get, the worse it becomes.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:07 pm

well, littlepinkfaery came about as there was a time I liked things pink and fairy like!

Littlepinkfaery was a name I chose for selling Spell cards! I sold in a local bookshop and for charity at work.

When I moved into falls, it was natural to continue my 'little' business name, hence a new and proper business was born!

Since then it has just become 'me' and I just identify with it!

It is really odd when I was trading at events and people would call me by it and and sometimes say " oh its you, littlepinkfaery" or " Wow you're littlepinkfaery!"

Always made me smile!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:21 pm

8 or 9 years ago, I was dating a guy who was friends with a really lame band who shall go unnammed because they're still around and I totally just said they're lame ;)

We met up with them at Ozzfest one year and for some reason we were in line at the pay phones. The boyfriend went to go get a drink and left me with the band. One of them noticed I that he left me there with a bunch of people I barely knew and said I should kick him in the shins when he came back.. so I did.

There used to be a site where you could get free forwarding domains, and I wanted one for my personal website at the time. I couldn't think of a name, so I went with "ikickshins" as an in-joke with the boyfriend and said band.

So that's where the name came from :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

twigletstar

Post by twigletstar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 pm

My name is basically just a nickname from when I was a kid. My mum still calls me that :D

I've never been very inventive with names, I'd rather people just called me Laura, which is in fact my real name ;) I think here is the only place I use it now, I always sign up with other random names for anonymity purposes (since I discovered my collegues were very into googling new staff I got paranoid that everybody would do it and discover some non-existant terrible secret :D)

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:53 pm

I've used this username for years (well usually it's just Azaezl but I added the little ~ for fun), it's the name of a demon, I always liked the pronunciation of it, I have this weird thing about the way things sound, some words send nasty shivers down my spine because of how they sound and others I like how they roll off the tongue and this was one such word. One problem I knew I'd have is that there would be thousands of people with that name as their ID so I decided to flip some letters to make it a bit more unique, the original spelling is Azazel.
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Liz Sherman is a character from Hellboy.
My real name is Alexandria Elizabeth Sherman, so I just cut out my first name and used the rest ! :lol:

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:47 pm

My name's KellyAnn legally, and i hate the Ann, so it's now ANNloses. Haha

kezerb

Post by kezerb » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 pm

My first name is Kerry, nickname Kezer but I thought that looked stupid so I added the B from my last name :)
I have used this nickname for years and years and the only other person I know to use it is someone on MySpace (Damn her nicking my name)

starlight

Post by starlight » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:36 pm

the name of my favourite song :)

Pointy Kitty

Post by Pointy Kitty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Mine's not overly creative. My name is Kitty.

My husband and I stole the term from The Simpsons when Ralph called a rat a "pointy kitty", and we use it to refer to our cat because when you rub her belly, sometimes she turns all pointy (aka grabs you with her claws as a game). Ta da, Pointy Kitty. :D

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:06 am

I don't actually remember the whole story behind my name (i have it for about six years) but it's how everyone knows me in real life (I hate my real name and Mongoose has the added advantage of being gender-neutral) so it was natural to use it here.
The bad guys always have the best tailors..."

My Blog
My Photography

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:02 am

Killaya wrote:I came up with this name when I was about 9 years old. It just came to me one day. I've stuck with it ever since... It USED to be that whenever you googled "Killaya", I was the only person who came up. Since then a lot of people have "borrowed"*cough* STOLEN*cough* my name :cry: D: It's pretty frustrating but kind of neat at the same time to know that I was the original Killaya. Hehe. <3~
Bahaha, I know how you feel. I am still the one and only DagGirl. I hope at least... I hope to be the only "THE DIGITAL PRINCESS" too. That one came from tech college when I was doing music business. I still went under the name "Angel Eyez" for my music, but I changed it not long ago when it felt unoriginal. My classmate and I were assigned to promote an act and come up with a slogan for a press release... Angel Eyez - The digital princess of electronic romance, bringing a light of hope to the darkness of the cold dancefloor. LOL. Yes, I am lame.
Rivet Licker, story behind it... Rivet from Rivethead/or the things that keep metal together and Licker from an old work term we used to describe a tool that removes pins from multicore connectors. And one of the guys got another guy's copper collection (err, servincing and manufacturing department in an audio company) and licked it. So it stuck. And it was funny.

davendor

Post by davendor » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:37 am

Mine's a nerdy and lame reason. Since year 8/9 of school I called myself 'dave'. Then after Lord of the Rings : Fellowship Of The ring, I just loved dwarves. So, I decided to make myself a dwarvish name, whilst keeping 'dave' in it. So I came up with 'Davendor'. Been using it for 8 odd years now. Some people have stolen it though :evil:

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Mines simple too - my name is Alexis and at one time I really, really loved cherries so best way to combine them = CherryLex, ta-da!
*I still do really like cherries, BTW, got 'em tattoo'ed and everything!
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

atomiklox

Post by atomiklox » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:33 am

Mines the name of my dread "business". I say it that way as I've no business! Just getting up and running really. I've had 2 clients since putting up the site but that's it. And the user name I have almost everywhere else (The Lady Elizabeth) just doesn't suit me here. I consider this my alter ego!
Do not go where the path leads, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

:713705:

Post by :713705: » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:39 am

In 4th/5th grade, I figured out that I could write my name on a calculator and had been fascinated ever since.
I added the colons ( : ), for special effect or something. Hehe.

Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss

Post by Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:36 am

In my senior year in high school I only had to take two classes art and math. I was so terrible at math that I would have to bribe my classmate and teachers with either cupcakes and cookies to help me yet again understand the math homework. At the ending of each chapter test, I would surprise the entire class with cupcakes and cookies. Not only that but I happen to wear this cupcake foam necklace my friends and I bought together at Jo Anne. So one of my friends called me Cupcake Itch So I changed it to cupcake princess ^_^.

Zalo

Post by Zalo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:29 am

Mine came from this one time I was playing Pokemon Colosseum and, one of the characters you battle at some point is named 'Zalo', I thought it was like THE raddest name ever So... I stole it :D

Later on though, One of friends said it reminded him of the movie 'Salo' so, That gave it totally new meaning afterwards and, became my 'recording' name. [I make Indust/Power-Noize] and, I use it pretty much where ever else I see fits now.

It will forever be 'that name I knocked off of pokemon' for me though :lol:

Weebeasty

Post by Weebeasty » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:34 am

Mine has been a nickname for years. I think (good lord I feel old) my friend started calling me that because I bit him. It stuck.
I'm a nutty ranty bunny.

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”