Anime fans! Favorite anime?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
robyndoe

Anime fans! Favorite anime?

Post by robyndoe » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:31 am

I searched and couldn't find a thread like this, but if there is one already, sorry...

What's your favorite anime?

I grew up watching toonami because it was on right when I got out of school. So that's basically Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Ronin, Tenchi, etc.

I'm still a fan of Sailor Moon and DBZ, but the others are just too hard to find anymore. :(

I've started watching D-Gray-Man and thought it was pretty funny.

My boyfriend is devoted to Bleach. Every Monday or Tuesday it airs a new episode in Japan and every Tuesday night he watches it subtitled.

So what does everyone else like?

MrsEss

Re: Anime fans! Favorite anime?

Post by MrsEss » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:35 am

Dragonball Z is brilliant! I was kinda "forced" to endure anime as the husband is a big fan of Manga - the first thing he played me was devilman - which I actually thought (& still do) was pretty good. We oen Akira & Ghost in the shell - he is rather particular about what he likes! :lol:
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:45 am

I used to have Akira! Wow I had forgotten all about that. I lost a lot of my movies when I got robbed though. :( My boyfriend owns Ghost in the Shell 2. And I know it's not really anime, but I love love love ReBoot. (and degrassi... maybe canadian shows are just awesome?)

Cyber_princess

Post by Cyber_princess » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:43 am

Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z are my favourite of all time...I had an obsession with the two series when I was a kid.
I currently really like Nana, The girl from hell, Deathnote and elfed lied (only 13 episodes but really good...it's so gore ^^)

Noodles!

Post by Noodles! » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Oh my gawd.

-foams at mouth-

DRAGONBALL Z! I love this, i'd have to say it is my favourite ever since watching it at eight onwards.

Cardcaptors, Pokemon, Digimon - yup, all the Americanized kiddy stuff.

Studio Ghibli is just brilliant, and a recent favourite is Death Note, which is probably the most adult series i've seen; the plot twists are just beautiful!
x Peace Love Unity Respect x

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Series: Gantz, Fooly Cooly, Macross Plus, Evangelion- though I've only seen a bit, She: The Ultimate Weapon.
Movies: Biohunters, Vampire Hunter D, Perfect Blue, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke.. Eeps, I have so many!

My git boyfriend has been promising to show me Death Note and Elfen Lied for two years now, time to take it into my own hands methinks.
Last edited by candycovered on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

sammu

Post by sammu » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:46 pm

The entire Dragonball series was destroyed by Toonami. I bet 90% of everyone who's watched the edited version hasn't seen it uncut, in its original form. ;P

I don't do anime now. Everyone goes psycho over it... really psycho. I did enjoy the 3 episodes of "Angel Sanctuary" and Studio Ghibli's "The Cat Returns" and "Kiki's Delivery Service", but I just stick to relatively unknown mangas such as Qwan. No weeaboo crazy girly fanbases there. :)

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Bleach has taken over my life..

I also enjoy Gundam, Naruto, Sons of Anarchy. trying to get some Death Note to watch and i was meant to be getting a Gunslinger Girl box set but Amazon let me down :( i also have nearly all of Studio Ghibli's films and if i don't have it, i've seen it.

i'm becoming a bit of a Japanophile in my old age :oops:
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

In_The_Branches

Post by In_The_Branches » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:35 pm

I really, really enjoyed Elfen Lied and XXXholic (supernatural theme, great character interaction + a nice bit of humor) but haven't really managed to find anything else that I could engage with as much as these series. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I like some of the studio ghibli stuff as well, actually.

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:59 am

I can't believe I forgot to mention Miyazaki films! Lol. I even own three of them. I like Gundam too, I remember Gundam Wing on TV when I was in Junior High. That makes me feel old. And I recorded Kiki's Delivery Service (on my VCR... remember those?) when it first premiered on Disney back in... '98 or '99 and I still have the tape. Good times. :)

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:55 am

CirqueMachine wrote: I don't do anime now. Everyone goes psycho over it... really psycho. I did enjoy the 3 episodes of "Angel Sanctuary" and Studio Ghibli's "The Cat Returns" and "Kiki's Delivery Service", but I just stick to relatively unknown mangas such as Qwan. No weeaboo crazy girly fanbases there. :)
This is just for you honey, just for you.
http://latfw.com/
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:16 am

Dystopatica wrote:
CirqueMachine wrote: I don't do anime now. Everyone goes psycho over it... really psycho. I did enjoy the 3 episodes of "Angel Sanctuary" and Studio Ghibli's "The Cat Returns" and "Kiki's Delivery Service", but I just stick to relatively unknown mangas such as Qwan. No weeaboo crazy girly fanbases there. :)
:lol:

I rather like Afro Samuri, Princess Mononoke, Vampire Hunter D, Aeon Flux, Spirited Away, Outlaw Star (most awesome theme tune ever!) and Helsing.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 am

Dystopatica wrote:
some of these made me laugh so hard i cried.. then i felt mean.. then i looked at more and cried some more (i blatantly really need more sleep..). at the same time though, i have to admire the time some people obviously put in and i can't deny that if i had more anime orientated friends, that would be me!
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

sammu

Post by sammu » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 am

Dystopatica wrote:
DAYUM! ILU. :3 <3

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:39 am

Lol I had never heard the term weeaboo before this thread. (I actually DO use google and educated myself lol)

I can honestly say I never got completely crazy about a show. Or anything, for that matter. My interests change so much I can't devote that much energy to one thing. But kudos to the people that can have that much passion for even the little things in life.

I've stuck with dreads for two years and that's longer than anything else. But that's getting OT.

I guess I still like a lot of these shows because of the nostalgia that comes with watching them again. :)

Anybody ever use watchanimeon.com? It's what got me watching dragonball kai.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:12 am

I don't own that much myself but my sister is HUGELY into it she has literally hundreds of DVDS and stupid amounts on her PC, so I've seen a fair bit of what she has. I like Excel Saga :D (especially the end credits)

I have Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll (the more adult stuff) I've seen all the Studio Ghibli stuff altho Princess Mononoke is probably my favourite.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 pm

oh boy,do i ever have lists. i think i am going to have to do this in parts :)
series: serial experiments lain (with which i am somewhat obsessed), noein, evangelion, saikano,outlaw star, cowboy bebop, reign, magic arcade abenobashi...
movies: akira,ghost in the shell, grave of the fireflies, pretty much everything studio ghibli has touched, vampire hunter d...

@ candycovered- you MUST see Elven Lied. One of my favorite anime series to date. Death Note is also really interesting.
when you find yourself on the edge of madness,dive.

** faerie princess **

elliss_seven

Post by elliss_seven » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:52 am

Death Note! I've just finished watching the entire series. Besides a dumb blond bimbo it's excellent!!
Watch Elfen Lied if you like Death Note. :}

Aside from movies by Studio Ghibli & a few other movies, I also like FLCL. ..there's maybe a few others I can't think of at the moment. There's not too much I like in anime because I just haven't had any luck finding/downloading new titles. :/
I'm so sick of all the Adult Swim titles, ugh (besides flcl. ..and death note of course).
The one and only .. Facebook.com/ls.seven

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:09 am

Ah, Sailor Moon... I used to watch it after school too. Was my first real anime obsession I think, actually, I take that back - the first few seasons of Power Rangers were on before Sailer Moon I think... my crush on Billy... :lol: whew that's taking me back some years!
I really like Cutey Honey too, and lets see, Chrono Crusade, Ninja Scroll, Akira, anything Ghibli related but especially Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Steamboy, Appleseed, Cowboy Bebop, Urusei Yatsura, the Darkstalkers miniseries they did, Metropolis, Armitage, Battle Angel, Burn Up, Lain, Kekko Kamen (love the bunny ears!), Aeon Flux - and really anything that came from liquid television, I used to watch a lot of really great animation on MTV back in the early to mid 90's, Slayers, Inu Yasha, Dead Leaves... such a weird movie but really fun to watch. I'm sure there's more but my brain is tired. I haven't seen Elven Leid either so maybe I'll throw it on the netflix queue. I need to watch more now!
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Icky-nay

Post by Icky-nay » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:30 am

I used to be mega into anime and manga but it's kinda dropped off...
Chobits was my first manga, and I love FMA and XXXholic but I'm way behind on many of the series I used to watch and read.
Aside from that I loved Cardcaptors and I was into Naruto there for a while but I started watching when the series was 120 eps long... :shock: Bizenghast and Deathnote are pretty sweet too.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:34 am

My fella is mad for manga, he watches all the Naruto episodes each week...
he is a massive fan of Avatar and is gutted that it won't be in the UK cinemas til the end of 2010...
Surely, if they wanted to stop (well reduce) piracy they should premier films all over the world at the same time rather than some countries getting them 6 months later.. :roll:

I love Howl's Moving Castle... Calcifer is hilarious... definately cracks me up everytime!! :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:58 pm

here are some more:
series: escaflowne, haibane renmei, noir,X,boogiepop phantom, full metal alchemist,Hellsing, Last Exile..

@ CherryLex- I loved Liquid Television. I am constantly looking for a copy of the head. Have you seen Spike & Mike's Twisted Animation?
Also, you NEED to see Elfin Lied.
when you find yourself on the edge of madness,dive.

** faerie princess **

HyprShkk!!

Post by HyprShkk!! » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Studio Ghibli of course.
I read the manga of DearS and then I saw the anime and it was pretty cool.
So kitschy it's sickening, but who doesn't love tacky anime?

And all the mainstream ones really. lol
I'm more into manga as really bad overdubbing or awful japanese accents put me in a bad mood! HAA!

xoxo
What would you do if everybody hates you? Well they do.

liz

Post by liz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 pm

i dont know as much anime as id like to but,
Akira, devil may cry, dragon ballZ but i havnt seen it for years :(
wathced some naruto last weekned and now im total hooked.
i love Studio Ghibli's The Valley Of The Wind coz it was one of my fav's as a kid
http://www.lizsterry.com http://www.facebook.com/SterryArt
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -mm

Letty

Post by Letty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 pm

I've not watched anime in a long time, but I used to absolutley love Evangelion :D
Other honorable mentions - Elfen Lied, Chobits, Mai HiME, Azumanga Daioh.

I had a habit of having to watch every episode, one after the other, then crying and crying when it came to the sad ending.
When death sleeps, it dreams of you.

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”