Would you like a banned members list?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)

Should permanently banned members be named publically?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:01 pm

yes
97%
no
3%

Total votes: 118

Hotmess

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Hotmess » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:32 am

Name 'em and Shame 'em.

TBH, just naming them and putting them on public display wouldn't hurt the professional scammer. Scammers have all sorts of ways of changing their identity, personality, and if they are true scammers,- their IP address. I'm not part of the admin on this board, but I do appplaud that steps are being taken to put a stop on scamming, and to discourage future potential scammers.

Naming them and putting the scammers up for display is a crucial step, but I personally don't think it would solve major problems.

A scammer here would also be likely to scam on other communities such as myspace, facebook, vampirefreaks, livejournal, ebay, and just about everywhere else on the internet where they could attract potential buyers. I'd say that if a 100% certified scammer is caught, then we should find their IP address, and inquiry to other communities of the users IP address and take it from there.

But then too,...some scammers use proxies to hide their IP addresses.

hokumdeadfall

Post by hokumdeadfall » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:34 am

Thats a good point, but most known scammers on this forum really arent that bright :lol:
Addicted to JUICE
~
Dude, I think you just killed the Hula Hoops

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:42 pm

hokumdeadfall wrote:Thats a good point, but most known scammers on this forum really arent that bright :lol:
Agreed from what I recall alot of the scammers named here already use the similar names for myspace/livejournal etc and just ignore comments. Rather than say changing their account. bwuahaha.

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:49 pm

when is this likely to happen if it does go ahead?
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:08 pm

night_wolf wrote:
hokumdeadfall wrote:Thats a good point, but most known scammers on this forum really arent that bright :lol:
Agreed from what I recall alot of the scammers named here already use the similar names for myspace/livejournal etc and just ignore comments. Rather than say changing their account. bwuahaha.
I think a lot of them aren't necessarily originally pre-meditated scammers - just thoughtless people who try their luck. I doubt a lot of them on here sit down one day and say "right I'm going to become an internet con-artist"

But I may be wrong - maybe i'm too nice :roll:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 pm

trippytroll wrote:when is this likely to happen if it does go ahead?
This post will remain open for TWO WEEKS and will close on 3 JULY 2009 at 2200 GMT

I don't think that they will do anything until they close the poll to make sure all members get a chance to vote.
*Rule Obsessor*

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:23 pm

yeh i jsut wondered if it would sort of take effect from that date or say in a motnhs time if that makes sense
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:58 pm

that really depends on the comments and things. Where people have made suggestions we will want to discuss the and see whether they are viable here. Someone could make a suggestion which requires discussion at the very last minute, so changes may not happen immediately. We are not all online at the same time.

Is it important when it starts? If you have anything you are worried or concerned about you can let any of us know right away by PM. If it is about selling/scamming then we already have a non-performing sellers list and will add anyone non-preforming to that with immediate effect if you have details. We haven't got anyone we are thinking of banning right now, so the banned members isn't likely (hopefully) to alter much within the next month
telling it like it is!

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:11 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:that really depends on the comments and things. Where people have made suggestions we will want to discuss the and see whether they are viable here. Someone could make a suggestion which requires discussion at the very last minute, so changes may not happen immediately. We are not all online at the same time.

Is it important when it starts? If you have anything you are worried or concerned about you can let any of us know right away by PM. If it is about selling/scamming then we already have a non-performing sellers list and will add anyone non-preforming to that with immediate effect if you have details. We haven't got anyone we are thinking of banning right now, so the banned members isn't likely (hopefully) to alter much within the next month
nope just curiosty more than anything hon as i presumed it would have to be discussed with all the mods first etc
no worries no concerns
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll

mourningpoetic

Post by mourningpoetic » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:49 pm

I think I am restating what most have said here, but it would be good to have an idea as to why some people have been banned, espicially when it comes to the safty or integrety of people here on the forum.

I can see why some may not think it's important to have that page here on the forum, but I really think it would be a good idea to have an eye out for the rest of the fake hair community... I am a little torn, but, I still clicked yes.
~.:I am WOMAN hear me RAWR!:.~

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:01 am

Frankly, I'm more concerned around the aggressive/rude members than scammers. I always check feedback threads and X check if I know they're on other boards/sites. There are some members (from here) I've attempted to be polite with that have been really nasty with me through other sites, though, and should I come in contact with that kind of behavior on here with them regularly or should someone else feel harassed by them I'd want them shamed into oblivion. But...I even have a problem with hazing n00bs, so I suppose that my tolerance for unwarranted nasty behavior is just very low.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:30 am

i dunno if this has been asked, but would we know why they had been banned - or shall we just assume that it is because said person ignored the rules/mods/admin etc one too many times.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

thecutealternative

Post by thecutealternative » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:09 pm

I personally think this is very good Idea.

I have recently had a off putting experience with somebody who has now been banned. I completed a transaction (I never got my item, just ignorance, rudeness, and eventually a refund) with her just a few days before she was banned *luckily* but I may not have been so lucky, and others may not be aswell, so I got thinking, I appreciate that it may be a lot of work but is there anyway we could have like a three strike system or something?

Sort of showing who has had a warning, I personally feel a little public knowledge may help to 'shame' the person into improving their behaviour.

I may just be a bit sore about this recent experience however... :oops:

halocaustic

Post by halocaustic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Kellye, can you PM me with a little background on what happened to you?

Any info we have on banned members is helpful when we make up our list. We currently discussing the format of it but it will likely include a brief reason for banning to make members aware.

We give official warnings, not regularly but we do issue them. If you look at someones profile, there should be a bit beside their name saying 'warnings' which gives details of why the warning has been given? I'm not sure if this is visible to board members or just mods...could someone check that for me and let me know?

EDIT - checked. Thanks Phoenix!
http://www.halo-wear.co.uk
Hair extensions & customised t-shirts

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 am

Madii wrote:"Hazing" is unnecessary behaviour, yes, but I find no problem with reminding people to read the rules when they clearly haven't. I would expect nothing less if I were to do such a silly thing myself. I mean, who doesn't read the rules before they even click 'Submit'? What insanity.
:lol: I do agree on that. It's more of the ruder comments that are a bit unnecessary imo. I can't remember if it was on here or on the old board, but a new member asked something that's a fairly "duh" question to anyone that's been around for very long, and there were loads of comments along the lines of stfu n00b, which probably would intimidate me and make me never want to post again on here xD I faintly remember getting ripped a new one by someone on the old board through PMs for incorrectly citing some dreads I had received second hand not long after I joined. I still haven't talked to her since then; she intimidates me to hell bwaha

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:48 am

I totally agree that some people can be too harsh on new people- I admit Hav have been blunt in the past and regretted it- we were all new once- you have to treat each question as new to them, nothing wrong with providing help like " search the tutorials section, you will find loads on XYZ in there- hope that helps!" rather than "search the board first we have covered this before" which is not helpful!

But yeah, i go off topic here!

[[Violet.Nightmare]]

Post by [[Violet.Nightmare]] » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:05 pm

Madii wrote:
littlepinkfaery wrote:nothing wrong with providing help like " search the tutorials section, you will find loads on XYZ in there- hope that helps!" rather than "search the board first we have covered this before" which is not helpful!
How is the latter not helpful when both responses are the same direction to do the same thing?
i think that really depends how many threads tere have been and how easy it is to find :/ sometimes i search but about 2000 pages come up and i can understand then that people give up. but i do think its not that unfair when somebody asks about something that is really clear cut and easy to find.
"Once you cressp you just cant splessp"

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:27 pm

I've never had a problem finding what I need using the search function, even if that means trawling through 10 pages of search results. Being new isn't an excuse; there's a wealth of information on these boards for those who can be bothered to look for it.
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:47 pm

Madii wrote:
littlepinkfaery wrote:nothing wrong with providing help like " search the tutorials section, you will find loads on XYZ in there- hope that helps!" rather than "search the board first we have covered this before" which is not helpful!
How is the latter not helpful when both responses are the same direction to do the same thing?
essentially the same yes, but the first option is a bit nicer than the second! yes it is annoying when people don't look but we can be nice about it, or ignore them, no need for people to be harsh

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:16 pm

Eh, really, if you're expecting the person to find the thread, you should be just as able to find (and link to) it, imo. Plus, if you are referring to previous threads, you know what you're talking about versus a n00b that may not know where, how or what to search. I could ask what the best way to seal dreads is, and would probably come up with a trillion pages of "seal dreads" results, plus it doesn't give me much feedback on the best way to do it, but it's a question that's been asked a jillion times.

Though, I suppose I shouldn't nag too much. I don't hover in the tuts and technique sections too often.

There are some unsaid rules, as well. Most of us only create one thread in the showoff section for several sets, but a lot of newer members post them individually, and I've seen some rather uncalled for comments on those threads when there is nothing about that in the red rules section above the subforum and is not enforced by the mods/admins.

sammu

Post by sammu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Haylum wrote:I've never had a problem finding what I need using the search function, even if that means trawling through 10 pages of search results. Being new isn't an excuse; there's a wealth of information on these boards for those who can be bothered to look for it.
This.

I'll hold my hand up and say I'm not one to sugar-coat things. I am a culprit for saying "LURK MOAR!" one too many times, but damn, they're repeat offenders. The same people keep doing it! If they are completely new and if it sounds like they're asking a genuine question then I will answer in a normal and "helpful" tone but dangit some people just can't be bothered to look for themselves. One person asked a question, I searched, it came up with 126 answers to her exact question.

Forgive me for not beating around the cutesy bush. :X

I thought I'd edit to clarify I'm not an ass... I swear. I'm all for helping people and being a righteous, upstanding member of any community, but you do get the odd person that takes the digestive, which need that little bit more of a poke.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:31 am

I think it's different if someone asks something that can be found pretty easily once...then they learn from their mistakes...but if people keep doing it then i can understand people getting frustrated and annoyed.

@Cirquemachine - I love your non sugar-coatedness anyway :D
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:14 pm

hehehehehee - i'm so glad i lurked for months before actually typing ANYTHING on this forum! :D & Sammu - you rock at getting the repeat offenders told.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

starlight

Post by starlight » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:47 pm

I always lurk forums before I join, to get a feel of how things run.. I lurked on HH for like 6 months haha.. then it took a further one or two to get activated :lol:

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:41 am

Well, 126 results could be a pain to sift through, to be honest. If I get more than a page or two in the results for a search I do I usually decide it isn't worth it. I'm too busy to sift through 10 pages of results and whatnot. But like I said, I find it hypocritical to take the time to tell a member to search for it instead of answering the question or searching for and linking to the thread...or at the very laziest suggesting what to search.

I think something like this would deter me from wanting to post on here if I was a new member. Same goes for something like this. While I know that particular member was being difficult about quite a few things at that time, if I was new and was told to look for something or saw someone being treated that way after first joining, I probably wouldn't bother to post much, if at all, for fear of being crabbed at.

And for the record, old board = no results, heavenly hair = 117 matches. Neither term is included in the thread linking to the old board, and you can't search "HH" or even "old HH" and get any results through the search. heavenlyhair isn't included in the thread either. There's nothing to search that would be common sense that would bring up that thread.

There's also no official rule about posting separate threads for showoffs. The response on how to post showoffs in her other thread was a lot more appropriate, really.

I've joined several other boards for different things, and have never had any borderline or blatantly rude comments thrown at me for violating a rule when my post count has been low, whether it's a clear or unspoken rule, like I've seen some members deal with on here. The staff in DTBD has been trying to reduce this recently because newer members were leaving the cult due to the rude comments they were receiving that were along the same lines. I would hate to think that people wouldn't want to stay on this board for similar reasons :?

I probably wouldn't be so opinionated on the issue if we didn't have so many people unhappy about it in DTBD recently, though.
Last edited by Pallidity on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”