Would you like a banned members list?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)

Should permanently banned members be named publically?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:01 pm

yes
97%
no
3%

Total votes: 118

MistressH

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by MistressH » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:08 pm

what i mean is when people sign up to a forum with the only intention to scam people, build up loads of posts quickly and loads of trust, even go to meets etc, then when they do scam they get the benefit of the doubt for longer than say someone new to the board then move on to the next one

as opposed to (trying to think of an example without outing people!!!!) runnng a wholesale that somehow goes wrong and people missing money/goods then the organiser runs and hides etc

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:14 pm

in the second scenario there the peson may or may not be banned outright, they may be a NPfS. If there is no further contact from them, it is hard to build up to a perm ban- it may be that indeed we want an open line of communication in case they come back. It is all contextual if someone just dissapears it is different to someone scamming and being rude to members.

Don't focus just on scamming- people are banned for rude and offensive behaviour too.

though as said there is a long build up of warnings and temp bans before that will ever happen. We ALWAYS look for as much proof as possible and make decisions based on evidence- occasioanlly it is a judgement call, usually there are hard facts.

kyandii

Post by kyandii » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:19 pm

I think it's a really good idea, as it may even deter people from scamming members

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Personally I'd rather people be named and shamed. I'd rather be prewarned of a scam artist :)

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:39 pm

kyandii wrote:I think it's a really good idea, as it may even deter people from scamming members
This is true, if people know they will be named and shamed on here and even elsewhere they may think twice about doing it as they will know of the consequences.
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

sammu

Post by sammu » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:39 pm

As well as a certain prolific multi-community scammer (who is doing it on another site, now), there's also one other person I'm keeping my eye on, because she's showing the same similar traits on another hobby forum.

Seriously, why close the stable door when the horse has already bolted?

List all their online names. ALL KNOWN NAMES. Then, maybe... perhaps... probably... if they ever try to redeem themselves, it should be noted in the List.

It's not like we're gonna do an Encyclopedia Dramatica on them, is it? :roll:

Noodles!

Post by Noodles! » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:47 pm

I second CirqueMachine on mentioning their other names, if they are known.

I understand that they may have only 'misbehaved' on one forum, but in the case of ripping people off, especially if they did it enough to get a ban, they are more than likely to do it on other sites.
x Peace Love Unity Respect x

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:28 pm

I didn't even know that people got banned :P

I said yes but I agree with I think it was Madii who said, what they did/didn't do should be posted along with who they are.

hokumdeadfall

Post by hokumdeadfall » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Noodles! wrote:I second CirqueMachine on mentioning their other names, if they are known.
Third that
Addicted to JUICE
~
Dude, I think you just killed the Hula Hoops

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:25 pm

my OH is on one of the largest Football Manager forums (literally thousands of members) as an admin and this is their warning system. it may or may not work here.

they have a list of pre-written warnings with the number of "warning points" beside it within the staff forum. they have a setting that allows the mods to see an icon on a member's post info. clicking this icon brings up the list of warnings, they select the one that applies and a PM is sent off automatically. pretty nifty! they may be able to help with the coding for that if needs be.

now.. each warning has a different amount of "warning points", dependent on the severity of their infraction. when they hit 10 points, they get a one week ban. when the ban expires, they can come back but if they hit 10 points again, they get a two week ban. this continues in weekly increments indefinitely. now there's not technically a permanent ban but if it gets up to something like an 8 week ban, the person could either forget about the forums or just not be arsed with it.

there is a whole forum dubbed "Room 101" and any time one of the warnings is given out, a thread is automatically created, showing the member name, the post and the warning given. everytime that user breaks another rule, a thread is created (the mods merge them). this forum is available to all other members to view but they can't post in the threads. this lets everyone see exactly what is going on, it's a pretty transparent system.

on top of this, they have a warning for nagging the mods and admin team in regards to warnings given to other members. as the info is freely available to all members, there shouldn't be a need to incessantly PM mods and ask why it was given etc. there's also a "fuckwit" clause in that if at least one admin and two mods agree, a member can be banned completely and permanently.

it's not a perfect system, but it's maybe something to look into.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:16 am

Lorny wrote:
MistressH wrote:Although it is different with intentional scamming and obviously if it could stop people from being scammed then i guess it only has to be a good thing!
How do you unintentionally scam people? :lol:
I suppose if you randomly slacked off and then felt overwhelmed, or got sick or something? lol

I have a question about this/banning in general. Is behavior off this board taken into account? There are members of this board that have scammed while being on here in other communities. There are also members that have argued and whatnot off this board.

sammu

Post by sammu » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Pallidity wrote:I have a question about this/banning in general. Is behavior off this board taken into account? There are members of this board that have scammed while being on here in other communities. There are also members that have argued and whatnot off this board.
Good point. I like it.

If there was someone majorly screwing around on another board/community who's pretty active on this one, I'd like to know about it... though maybe it'd be suited to more of a "Cautionary" list rather than "Banned" or "Non-Performing", then if they were to sort themselves out, their name removed from the Cautionary list.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:13 pm

I think that depends if they are targeting you though here aswell- That is a difficult call- if they have not hassled you on here or scammed on here, there is no need to ban on here...

However if it bleeds over onto here, like snipey comments and pms- then it is our issue.

People need to complain to other sites and forums about the hassle!

I understand competley where you are coming from on a 'cautionary' list... but if it isn't effecting HERE...I don't think we shoud mention them.

Sayign that, there is nothing wrong with you PMing us with names and detials so we can keep an eye on them.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 pm

On the subject of real names, I don't think we were thinking we would put those up anyway. But if you are worried about someone you are trading with then you can PM one of us the screen name and real name of the person you are dealing with and we would be able to tell you whether that matches up with anyone with a bad trading history of which we are aware. This doesn't have to be for banned members, it can be for anyone you are concerned about trading with.
telling it like it is!

Funkyrapunzels

Post by Funkyrapunzels » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 pm

I think that the majority of members here are honest, its im-portant we protect each other. All of us can have minor mishaps, but we are talking about scammers here. Everyone should get a 2nd chance but serial scammers should be named.
If fror example when swaps are run if someone posts late, forgets to post etc...then usually on here it gets resolved amongst ourselves. I think this is different to people blatently ripping others off. hope that makes sense. :i6:

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Funkyrapunzels wrote:I think that the majority of members here are honest, its im-portant we protect each other. All of us can have minor mishaps, but we are talking about scammers here. Everyone should get a 2nd chance but serial scammers should be named.
If fror example when swaps are run if someone posts late, forgets to post etc...then usually on here it gets resolved amongst ourselves. I think this is different to people blatently ripping others off. hope that makes sense. :i6:

everyone is obsessing about scammers- it is about rude and offensive people too, who refuse to treat others with respect...not just scammers!

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:27 pm

The reason people are obsessing over scammers and not rude and offensive people is because scammers are harder to spot and cause a lot more damage.

You get a pm from someone who's been crude and unreasonable? You look at it and think 'They said what?!' and forward it to the mods.

You get scammed for £200 without realising and then they come up with a boatload of excuses whilst doing it to others? They get put on a list to stop them trading and maybe eventually banned... But they are still out £200. Its a bigger problem unfortunately, which is why people focus on it.
*Rule Obsessor*

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 pm

I realise that, however everyone needs to be aware we would be 'outing' other 'types' of banned people and member sneed to be clear if they are happy with this too or do they want to focus on scammers and poor sellers.

this list would be for all types of banned members- also often the two issues go hand in hand!

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:26 pm

I think outing members who have been banned for rude or aggressive behaviour is a good idea as it gives everyone the confidence that should they report an incident it will be dealt with accordingly.
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

obliviontrigger

Post by obliviontrigger » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:36 am

I know I haven't been around for too long, but I think that it's important to make everyone aware of people who have been banned, especially on a board where people are buying from other members. Also, banning rude members and publicly saying something about it lets people know that that sort of thing just won't be tolerated, and it gives new members a good impression of the mods and the community.
ALL THE LADIES IN THE HOUSE PUT YOUR HANDS UP!
ALL THE FELLAS IN THE HOUSE PUT YOUR HANDS UP!
NOW WHOEVER SAID WE'RE WACK PUT YOUR HAND UP!
NOW EVERYONE ELSE, PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN!

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:31 pm

I can assure you we never ban because of personal disagreements, only if they have been offensive to us or a member (hey, we are members too :i2: ).

Not you are saying that we do, I get your point completely about it clearing up ambiguity!

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:10 am

I vote definately name and shame.
including the offense/s and their alias names. And why the hell not. If someone cant be nice and keep their trap shut then they deserve to be hauled up on it. Theres no need for abuse on here. We're here for a mutual love of all things colourful and synthetic, and generally we're a very trust-worthy community and look out for eachother (after all we sometimes get enough abuse from the vanilla lovers we got to stick up for eachother).
Anyone not doing that doesn't deserve to be here

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:04 pm

defo defo defo name and shame
i feel that we have a right to know about these kind of people
and i know they do it on other forums too name and shame at least we can then keep our eye out for these people and if we're feeling a little insecure about lsomething like a sale then we could check the list or whatever.
at the end of the day every member makes the hairboards past and present what it is and i jsut feel that we should have that right to know
ive been on the hairboards for blmming donkeys years now and luckliy never have encountered any problems of being scammed but i know people that have been verbally abused and things to that effect so we defo should now about the banned people and definitly as to why they were banned
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

cherrybombdreads

Post by cherrybombdreads » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:29 pm

I think people should be named and shamed.
It would be a lot easier for people to look out for them on other websites and forums to make sure they don't get scammed again/ or scam others.
People come back as different user names, but generally how they are gives them away.
http://www.cherrybombdreads.webs.com High Quality Roving and Synthetic Dreads!

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”