Would you like a banned members list?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)

Should permanently banned members be named publically?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:01 pm

yes
97%
no
3%

Total votes: 118

trippytroll

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by trippytroll » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:44 pm

i agree there are a lot of people on here that are just dam right rude which is totally uncalled for and yes i agree with another memebr in my eyes they are just as bad as scammers etc, at the end of the day you only have to be polite, its not thats hard really. using the search thingy does not always come up with the thing your after and also people like to interact aswell by getting to know the community (im not saying its ok to keep posting obvuios things)i know a lot of mebers on here have been really put of from coming back due to the dam right rudeness of people and these are the kind of people i would like to see banned too, yes they might be valued members or wot not but if they are upsetting people by being rude and aggresive is it worth having them on here and it always seems to be the same people that quickly react with such aggresive rude and uncalled for comments, i cant understand for the life of me why they think its acceptable to speak to people like that, i know you get a lot of bitching on forums but its bang out of order i feel and like halocaustic i think said about looking on their profile and seeing it says warning maybe only to mods well even if we could see that i think would be great as well cos i would totally steer clear of the person knowing they are just a trouble maker
i think its always good to know why people are banned and the ones that have been given warnings too.
(ive been on the boards since we were on the ezboards and i must say this one ive found to really rude and agreesive compared to the others) so i can totally sympathise why alot of people dont bother coming back.)
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

halocaustic

Post by halocaustic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:58 pm

trippytroll wrote:i agree there are a lot of people on here that are just dam right rude which is totally uncalled for and yes i agree with another memebr in my eyes they are just as bad as scammers etc, at the end of the day you only have to be polite, its not thats hard really. using the search thingy does not always come up with the thing your after and also people like to interact aswell by getting to know the community (im not saying its ok to keep posting obvuios things)i know a lot of mebers on here have been really put of from coming back due to the dam right rudeness of people and these are the kind of people i would like to see banned too, yes they might be valued members or wot not but if they are upsetting people by being rude and aggresive is it worth having them on here and it always seems to be the same people that quickly react with such aggresive rude and uncalled for comments, i cant understand for the life of me why they think its acceptable to speak to people like that, i know you get a lot of bitching on forums but its bang out of order i feel and like halocaustic i think said about looking on their profile and seeing it says warning maybe only to mods well even if we could see that i think would be great as well cos i would totally steer clear of the person knowing they are just a trouble maker
i think its always good to know why people are banned and the ones that have been given warnings too.
(ive been on the boards since we were on the ezboards and i must say this one ive found to really rude and agreesive compared to the others) so i can totally sympathise why alot of people dont bother coming back.)
People need to start complaining if they think someone has been rude to them. If no-one complains, we don't tend to always see it as a problem. If someone is getting upset about comments made to them, that's a whole different ball game.
http://www.halo-wear.co.uk
Hair extensions & customised t-shirts

VibrantDoll

Post by VibrantDoll » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm just going to pipe up and say that that makes me very nervous. I've been on the boards for almost two years (including HH) and it scares me to think that someone could decide that they don't want me on the boards anymore because I said I didn't like their dreads.

I'm sorry to say it but without a clearly defined rule about rude comments, it will become nothing more than a popularity contest. And that's when a lot of people will just say, "Yeah......I'm done." What I think is rude and what Halo thinks is rude and what MissAnthropik thinks is rude and what TenderTendrils thinks is rude and whomever else, is all different stuff. Rude is subjective, I'm sorry but it is.

Hopefully I'll never be on the radar enough to be considered for a ban, but if people are being banned for slight infractions as trippytroll implied, I'll definitely not be a bigger part of the community as it would be very rough on the mods to keep it from becoming a popularity contest.....I always lose popularity contests. ~_^

halocaustic

Post by halocaustic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:24 pm

VibrantDoll wrote:I'm just going to pipe up and say that that makes me very nervous. I've been on the boards for almost two years (including HH) and it scares me to think that someone could decide that they don't want me on the boards anymore because I said I didn't like their dreads.

I'm sorry to say it but without a clearly defined rule about rude comments, it will become nothing more than a popularity contest. And that's when a lot of people will just say, "Yeah......I'm done." What I think is rude and what Halo thinks is rude and what MissAnthropik thinks is rude and what TenderTendrils thinks is rude and whomever else, is all different stuff. Rude is subjective, I'm sorry but it is.

Hopefully I'll never be on the radar enough to be considered for a ban, but if people are being banned for slight infractions as trippytroll implied, I'll definitely not be a bigger part of the community as it would be very rough on the mods to keep it from becoming a popularity contest.....I always lose popularity contests. ~_^
Saying you don't like someone's dreads isn't rude and none of us would think that. We are aware of differences of opinion and that's fine. Yes, rudeness is subjective....but sometimes is blatantly obvious when it's uncalled for. That's why nothing is ever done without a moderator majority vote. We're not going to start banning people just because someone's feelings have been hurt, but then again we don't want people to feel that can't come forward and complain if they feel they're being unjustly attacked. We're pretty good at looking at each situation for what it is.
Hopefully I'll never be on the radar enough to be considered for a ban, but if people are being banned for slight infractions as trippytroll implied, I'll definitely not be a bigger part of the community
You're aware that we have already banned people for being rude? It takes a lot for us to consider it to be genuinely rude and unacceptable, but we would encourage people to say to us if they feel victimised. I'm sure you wouldn't want us to ignore it?
You'd be surprised at the amount of drama that goes on behind the scenes here...that we deal with all the time. We try our best to do what we think is right for the majority of our members.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:25 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:47 pm

if i don't like work that someone has done, i don't post a comment - not saying that every post that hasn't got a comment from me means i don't liek what you did, but yeah. why say: i don't like the work you've made, when you could simply keep it to yourself?

yesterday & today there were "rogue" posts in the sho off section, about where to buy extentions & buy your weft from me. i replied, but simply pointed them to the rules, asking them to read them before posting anything.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:55 pm

As far as I'm aware there is a warning system in place so if people were maybe being bit close to the mark and it upset someone they'd get a warning before it got to the point of banning. We can't just ban people because of personality clashes etc - I'd say it's worse after you've been warned but you continue to do it...some people are very diplomatic, some are tactless...some are thick skinned and some very sensitive...I can't even begin to imagine the work that goes into moderating a board like this :roll:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Yus - agreed Liz.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:14 pm

As it's slowly being beaten into my head (lol) I'm starting to agree that rudeness is fairly subjective. Even if you report it to the mods/admins, they're still using personal judgement to decide the matter. The only objective way to deal with it would probably be for people to use the block option available and for the mods/admins to have stats on who's being blocked. Numbers couldn't have too much personal tinting to them, but just about everything else could.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:45 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:47 pm

i was going to, but couldn't see it. i PM'd some mods to let them know

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:51 pm

VibrantDoll wrote:I'm just going to pipe up and say that that makes me very nervous. I've been on the boards for almost two years (including HH) and it scares me to think that someone could decide that they don't want me on the boards anymore because I said I didn't like their dreads.

youve totally got that wrong hon
you wouldnt get banned from just giving someone an opinion and besides warnings etc are issued first, youve totally misread what im saying, i havent once said people should be banned for saying one thing like i dont like your dreads, it doesnt work like that hon,
yes we do all have opinions as to what counts as rude and wot not but some people are extremely aggresive on here on numerous occasions and i feel we should be at least warned about these people, and yes a ban if they carry up upsetting people, alot of peeps dont reposrt things to moderators as they just prefer to leave out the playground stuff and ignore them or report the thread or block the user but some people on here have been really upset by comments made to them, which i feel is totally uncalled for.
and theres the block thingy button too
but peeps wont be banned for just saying horrid things,
and it would be like constant people who kept doing it not just anyone who wrote aa one post thing
im on mod on a few other sites and we wouldnt ban anyone for just being rude but if they were constantly aggresive and upsetting people then it would definitly be looked into but things like that arent always easy for a mod to judge anyway
take care
x
Last edited by trippytroll on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Good discussion ladies, keep it going. And please, speak up if you think people r out of line.

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:i was going to, but couldn't see it. i PM'd some mods to let them know

Just for the record, the report button is the little red exclamation mark to the right of the post :)

I make good use of it when we have spam bots \o/ Its a happy little punctuation mark XD
*Rule Obsessor*

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Vicsarina wrote:
DreadstarMonstar wrote:i was going to, but couldn't see it. i PM'd some mods to let them know

Just for the record, the report button is the little red exclamation mark to the right of the post :)

I make good use of it when we have spam bots \o/ Its a happy little punctuation mark XD
i feel quite silly for never using it before, or even noticing it was there
will have to hunt for spam bots to test it out....
/emmy x

guest123

Post by guest123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:13 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:15 pm

stinamoo wrote:
Vicsarina wrote:

It's a plain grey exclamation mark in an upside down triangle at the top right of each post for me :)

Oh!! Gosh I forgot I don't have the default layout. For reference, I have the blue one, and I'm guessing Stina has the grey one.

There we go! XD Now we know where it is no matter where the little bugger decides to hide!
*Rule Obsessor*

VibrantDoll

Post by VibrantDoll » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:43 pm

trippytroll wrote:

youve totally got that wrong hon
you wouldnt get banned from just giving someone an opinion and besides warnings etc are issued first, youve totally misread what im saying, i havent once said people should be banned for saying one thing like i dont like your dreads, it doesnt work like that hon,
yes we do all have opinions as to what counts as rude and wot not but some people are extremely aggresive on here on numerous occasions and i feel we should be at least warned about these people, and yes a ban if they carry up upsetting people, alot of peeps dont reposrt things to moderators as they just prefer to leave out the playground stuff and ignore them or report the thread or block the user but some people on here have been really upset by comments made to them, which i feel is totally uncalled for.
and theres the block thingy button too
but peeps wont be banned for just saying horrid things,
and it would be like constant people who kept doing it not just anyone who wrote aa one post thing
im on mod on a few other sites and we wouldnt ban anyone for just being rude but if they were constantly aggresive and upsetting people then it would definitly be looked into but things like that arent always easy for a mod to judge anyway
take care
x
I totally misunderstood you trippytroll. I'm really sorry about that. I'd like to blame it on having just woken up from a nap, but truly I think it was just me not seeing it. I've been banned from so many sites just based on popularity BS that my gut reaction was "AAAAAAAAHH NOT ANOTHER ONE FFS!!!!!!" Like I said, I always lose at popularity contests lol.

I'm really sorry to have misinterpreted what you meant to get across. :)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Just to clear up confusion, if you think someone has crossed the line please tell us. If it is a one-off as regards you it is still worth telling us because it might start to make up a bigger picture about that person. If it is an ongoing occurrence with you then of course we want to know.

If it happens publicly and you think we haven't noticed you can either report the post, or PM us. If it is a PM please forward the PM and your comments to one of us. Even if they have taken the issue off the board and are harassing you about somethng board related through msn or something we still want to know.

We, as moderators, usually deal with things collectively to try to overcome as best as possible the subjectivity you are all talking about. However some things are clear as day and one person may take action immediately. It really does depend on what it is you are telling us.

The course of action we will take in the case of rudeness is usually to simply PM the person if it is an usual thing for them to do, and we have no previous evidence of them doing anything like it, so need to panic that we are going to start banning people for slips of the tongue and things.

If it makes up part of a picture of ongoing unacceptable behaviour we would do one of 3 things depending on the severity/number of times it has happened/how long it's been going on for etc:
1) PM them again
2) warn them
3) give them a temporary ban

We would only go for option (3) if they had already had options (1) and (2) and it had had no effect or, it would be clear to anyone that their behaviour was highly abusive and there was no potential ambiguity.

We want you to know we take your happiness seriously but we also want you to know that we don't go about banning people on a whim. We use information you give us to build up a bigger picture, and as such there may be many people we are aware of and monitoring that would not show up on a warning list.
telling it like it is!

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:41 am

MissAnthropik wrote:Just to clear up confusion, if you think someone has crossed the line please tell us. If it is a one-off as regards you it is still worth telling us because it might start to make up a bigger picture about that person. If it is an ongoing occurrence with you then of course we want to know.

If it happens publicly and you think we haven't noticed you can either report the post, or PM us. If it is a PM please forward the PM and your comments to one of us. Even if they have taken the issue off the board and are harassing you about somethng board related through msn or something we still want to know.

We, as moderators, usually deal with things collectively to try to overcome as best as possible the subjectivity you are all talking about. However some things are clear as day and one person may take action immediately. It really does depend on what it is you are telling us.

The course of action we will take in the case of rudeness is usually to simply PM the person if it is an usual thing for them to do, and we have no previous evidence of them doing anything like it, so need to panic that we are going to start banning people for slips of the tongue and things.

If it makes up part of a picture of ongoing unacceptable behaviour we would do one of 3 things depending on the severity/number of times it has happened/how long it's been going on for etc:
1) PM them again
2) warn them
3) give them a temporary ban

We would only go for option (3) if they had already had options (1) and (2) and it had had no effect or, it would be clear to anyone that their behaviour was highly abusive and there was no potential ambiguity.

We want you to know we take your happiness seriously but we also want you to know that we don't go about banning people on a whim. We use information you give us to build up a bigger picture, and as such there may be many people we are aware of and monitoring that would not show up on a warning list.
:D

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 am

Would there ever be a need for a permanent ban? however the people that get banned probably don't even try to come back onto the forum, i suppose.

This may have already been mention, but i have placenta brain...how long is the temporary ban??

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:12 am

a few people have tried signing up under a few different names, i think a few are mentioned with the non performing sellers
/emmy x

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:13 am

The length of a temporary ban varies depending on the situation. Usually they're no more than a week or two.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

halocaustic

Post by halocaustic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:Would there ever be a need for a permanent ban? however the people that get banned probably don't even try to come back onto the forum, i suppose.

This may have already been mention, but i have placenta brain...how long is the temporary ban??
Every permanent ban for unacceptable behaviour here has tried multiple usernames!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm

ah, cheers Halo. Interesting to know.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”