Poi

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Gemstone

Poi

Post by Gemstone » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:33 am

Last night in a fit of drunken madness I decided to give Poi a go...... bad idea I now think I'm hooked.... anyway I remember on the old HH there was a thread with linkies to tutorials, does anyone remember them because I have a feeling that before the end of the day I'm gonna end up with two black eyes and a broken nose/jaw/arm if I'm not careful :P
I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant

Carbon

Re: Poi

Post by Carbon » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:23 am

homeofpoi.com is awesome, you can buy really nice sets there and theres a forum with beginners tips and tutorials and videos.
domorepoi.com is pretty good too.

i found a really good book -how to spin poi by a fella whose first name i cant remember but his surnames Kahn, its a really good read with diagrams and tips, i know its a book and you cant see what the finished product (haha) looks like but theres really good descriptions.
i learned from watching a dvd that i got from homeofpoi and it had some basic moves followed by an hour of videos from different people doin their thing.
i bloody love poi me, and its nice to know i can do cool stuff with fire :P

if you wanna make some practise poi, two tennis balls in a pair of knee socks will do the trick.
sorry for the long post. bla bla bla.

Little Miss Vivica

Post by Little Miss Vivica » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:45 am

Hehe it's hard not to get hooked on poi when you first have a go at it!! ^_^
I got bought some poi for xmas a few years ago, I STILL can't do that much with them, but I'm not too bad I guess.
My boyfriend has started nicking my poi and practising, he's slowly getting better than me!! I'm gonna have to stop that. ~_^

I really really want some of the light up ones you can get, they look so pretty on summar nights!! ^_^
Turn it up real loud, and let the base line shout...

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info been checking it out and think I am off to get some knee high socks and tennis balls :) I was playing with light up ones last night and they were so lovely to watch I even played with some fire poi - admitedly they weren't lit but still I got to feel their weight.... can't wait until I get good enough to do that
I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:30 pm

honestly-youtube is your friend!! thats how i learned

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:46 pm

I looooooooove to poi! been addicted for about three years now!I get all my kit from here http://www.poipoi.info/ and they have loads of info at tutorials too.

I kinda find the best way to learn is to just pick them up, flail about a bit and see what happens LOL!
I "warm up" with a few moves that I know well before trying something new, I have this book http://www.poipoi.info/shop/index.php?r ... how_detail and its fantastic.

I personaly find it easyer (and more fun) to learn/ spin with LED poi at night- no tails to get tied up but you can still see where your poi have been. my "poi buddy" (-getting a mate into it and praticing together is the best) are getting fire chains soon.

I have four sets of poi from the site above-
cobra II versitile (good alround poi, my first set)
Nightburst LED (my faves)
Mouse beanbag poi (great to keep in your handbag for impromtue poi-offs or for indoors!)
Flag poi (not so keen on these)

thats me and my LED's (with glowstic bracelets) :D
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:47 pm

squeee, I've been wanting to learn poi for a couple of years, & when my friend came into my work last week & said she's learning it & got some poi thingies from her work, I had to get some too !
it's so much fine, I'd love to be able to do it with fire (eventually)
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

Dude

Post by Dude » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:00 pm

I got mouse poi. My niece Freddie makes me laugh when I tell her what they are .... "But Fritz, they dont resemble a mouse"

I love mine. I'll upgrade one day. There is a certain satisfaction of lethally swinging things around.
There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:59 pm

i sold my poi that i had because i didnt have time to practice :cry: regret it now as i would love to master the art of it

Sick Puppy

Post by Sick Puppy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 am

I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to "do" Poi... Its so amazing - you can almost never look like a tool when you do it, either :P

I wish I could afford it - I am thinking of trawling Ebay for some to begin with :D

But it is my ultimate goal in life to learn FireBreathing.. How effing cool would that be?? :D

Zeddread

Post by Zeddread » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Ahh, poi.

I've been doing it for a good few years now, but I nowhere near as good as I should be for that amount of time. I got quite good, reasonably quick and then got stuck in a rut and couldn't figure out how to get out of it.

I know there is a really good video for advanced poi which I shall have to get around to purchasing, called Encyclo-Poi-dia...
But I am using you-tube for now.. :D
"Hah, Haa! I'll be back to varnish you later you little pine tart!"
Red Rebellion! <3

cancankant

Post by cancankant » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Sort of OT, but I love practicing poi moves with anything "weighty". Dog leashes (with the metal snap on the end) actually do the trick. :lol: I used to fool around with them while walking my dogs at the dog park.

Princess_Anime

Post by Princess_Anime » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:53 pm

haha i used to practice with my dogs leashes for fun too! but i recently bought a proper set. actually this is quite freaky because just last week i was thinking maybe i should start a topic here on poi! but I've only been doing poi for about a month now, i can do the basic tricks. and hopefully I'll be going to my local circus club to play around with other nice toys too hehe!

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”