The Mommy thread!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
somekindafreak

Re: The Mommy thread!

Post by somekindafreak » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Rhaeniel are you just breastfeeding or giving him formula too?

I found that when I fed my little un(who is now nearly 5 jeez time flies!!) a formula for her last feed before bed it seemed to satisfy her and she would sleep through the night, becasue she wasnt doing just on breast milk and was waking 2/3 times a night like Alexander. She still had my milk in the day but eventually as time progressed switched completely to formula. Then started weaning etc.

Just might be an idea to consider(if you arent already) :)
Indecisive army FTW

"So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways..."

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for the tip but Alex can't have formula :(
He screams and spews and has explosive poo if he has cows' milk, even if I have it and he only gets it through my milk.
It's okay, I can cope with a night feed - he only needs the one.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Oh man, I think he's teething.. he's really trying to chomp his fist off atm!
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:30 pm

ooh, i used aston & parsons teething powder when seth was teething - they are ace!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

TOXIKITTY

Post by TOXIKITTY » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Rhaeniel wrote:Oh man, I think he's teething.. he's really trying to chomp his fist off atm!
I remember our health visitor saying that babies can get teething pains up to two months before a tooth appears.. and Kaiden cut his first tooth at 5 months. So it could be! An increase in dribble is a good sign a tooth is on it's way.

Just as you start making headway with the crying.. the teeth start popping out, heh. Typical.

ScarletLady, have you thought about getting one of those ovulation monitor thingies? I don't know how much they cost.. but if it's not too much it might be a good idea. Good luck with the baby making! ;)
<´¯`·.TOXIKITTY.·´¯`>
..Deader than last year's cat..

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:56 am

to be honest (sorry if this is TMI) me and my OH have a really healthy sex life so i don't think that's going to be too much of a problem (we concieved in the first month i came off the pill before I miscarried)

Obviously I know that didn't carry to term but i don't think the concieving part should be too hard - I'm going to give it 6 months before I look into stuff like that. Thanks tho :)
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:ooh, i used aston & parsons teething powder when seth was teething - they are ace!
Oh man! so few mummies I have spoken to know about these. I agree they are ace!
Beau's teething was horrible. He started at three months, but didn't cut his first tooth til he was 7 months. Just before it finally came through, it formed a massive blood blister under his gum :cry:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 am

I'm going to give it 6 months before I look into stuff like that.
i'm not saying you're the same, but it took me about 8 months to conceive. i almost bought one of the ovulator thingies, but TBH thought that it would turn more into a scientific expeiment than a magical miracle (which, lets face it, babies are!)

i still find it odd that it's only 1 day a month when you can conceive
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:57 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:
I'm going to give it 6 months before I look into stuff like that.
i'm not saying you're the same, but it took me about 8 months to conceive. i almost bought one of the ovulator thingies, but TBH thought that it would turn more into a scientific expeiment than a magical miracle (which, lets face it, babies are!)

i still find it odd that it's only 1 day a month when you can conceive
I know it's a bit mad - obviously the fact we conceived so quickly first time is clouding my judgement slightly - I'm not sure if that means we're both really compatible and fertile or if it was just a fluke :lol:

We'll see how it goes - We basically have sex every day so I don't think you can do much more than that really :roll:

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 am

i agree :)

fingers crosssed for you chick

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Yeah, good luck Scarlet!
Not that you'll need it ;)

fustmuffin wrote:
DreadstarMonstar wrote:ooh, i used aston & parsons teething powder when seth was teething - they are ace!
Oh man! so few mummies I have spoken to know about these. I agree they are ace!
Beau's teething was horrible. He started at three months, but didn't cut his first tooth til he was 7 months. Just before it finally came through, it formed a massive blood blister under his gum :cry:

D'oh.. wish I'd read that before sending Andy out to ASDA to get teething gel!
I did mention packets of powder tho.. just didn't know what they were called - one of the mums I met recently gave her little boy one of those just earlier today cos he was fussing while we were out, due to teething.
That was a rather long-winded sentence :roll: what's happening to my language skills lately?!

Annnnnnnnyway, hopefully Andy'll pick some up cos Alex has been so upset today - he's been doing his proper "woe is me" cry today, the one that makes me sob uncontrollably :(
His other cries are different, they're his breathy, panting "feed me" cry or his "urgh, I'm dirty" wingey cry, or the ANGRY TIRED SCREAM!! and I can deal with those.. but that really sad "I'm in pain" cry really gets to me :(

Zombie Strawberries

Post by Zombie Strawberries » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:02 am

(I go away 2 days and get 2 pages to follow up!)

Mariann's teeth- well, 7 of them- all came out in her 6th month, the 8th got out last month. It was fairly easy. There was that one night where she was such in pain and cried so loud, but that's about it. I used oragel several times and it was fine for her. We got that part easy -till now thought, dunno about the rest...

It took about 5min for her to get to sleep tonight! How great?
But I know she'll wake up at 12 for a feed, and after that well be going for 1h½+ of drama.
Eh! But you can see we are getting to somewhere!

DSM, yay for scan pics! Do you have a feeling for either sex? I was SO convice I'll have a little boy. So when came out a little girl I was surprised! lol

TOXIKITTY

Post by TOXIKITTY » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:43 am

I was sick when I found out I was having a boy! Actually during the scan as soon as she said it :lol:

I'd been hoping for a little girl.. mostly because I couldn't think of any boys names I liked ( and I love all the pretty little dresses!! XD ), hehe. I was 90% sure I was having a boy before the scan though, it's weird how you just get a feeling about it.

Chuffed I've got a little boy now though, despite all my puking :D

While I'm here.. would any of the mums of older kids be able to reccommend a good age for going somewhere like Disneyland? I'm gonna start saving up soon.. wanted to go while he's still little enough to believe he's actually meeting all his favourite characters, but old enough to remember a lot of it.. and be able to make the most of the trip. Was thinking maybe around 5? I can't remember what age I was when I REALLY wanted to go (but didnt - the reason I'm determined to save so Kaiden can go.. whether he likes it or not, hehe).
<´¯`·.TOXIKITTY.·´¯`>

Zombie Strawberries

Post by Zombie Strawberries » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Aww that is such a nice project,,,
I think 6 would be the best :)

You know what ladies?
Mariann SLEPT!!! 9½ in a row O_O can you beleive it? Didn't even asked for a feed at 12.
I've slept so much! and so well! ah!

TOXIKITTY

Post by TOXIKITTY » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:14 am

Oooh, well done. It feels bizarre when your sleeping goes back to normal sorta hours. The first few nights Kaiden slept through I woke up in a mad panic thinking something had happened to him. Got so used to being woken up :lol:

6 sounds good.. gives me 3 and a half years to save, heh. Been pricing it up and it's stupidly expensive even for the cheapest options :roll:

Hopefully I'll just win the lottery.
<´¯`·.TOXIKITTY.·´¯`>

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:20 am

DSM - lovely scan picture :D What are you hoping for a boy or a girl?

I had a feeling all the way through that I was having a girl and I desperately wanted a girl because my husband suddenly decided he only wanted 1 child and I know it sounds harsh but I'd have felt like I'd missed out on something if I didn't have a girl, like all the little girly things and dresses and stuff. When we went for the 4d scan(our local hospital won't tell you the sex) I was so nervous, I knew if they said it was a boy I'd be so disappointed and I was on the verge of tears when she was checking the sex and when she said it was a girl I screamed with excitement. My husband has changed his mind about having just 1, he wouldn't mind another but he wants another girl, I of course now want a boy but if we have another girl I won't mind.

Toxikitty - I'm planning on the same thing for Kyoko, this year she's having a massive birthday party and next year we're going to disneyland paris for her 5th birthday. I was going to wait until she was a bit older but at the moment she adores the disney princess' and mickey mouse etc so I know she'll love it, she's excited about it even now. If your planning on going to disneyland florida it will be quite expensive, my in laws went on holiday to florida last month and they said they spent twice as much in florida then they did the previous year when they went to california, they said everything seemed twice the price.I'm guessing a resort like disneyland will cost even more too, plus you have the travel itself being longer and more expensive.

If your going to the paris one then you can get really good deals depending on where you stay. If you stay in the disneyland hotel which is right at the resorts entrance then it costs alot but you get extras like the characters walk around / interact with the kids at the hotel plus it's handy for nipping back and forth to the hotel as it's right on the doorstep. They have cheaper themed hotels like the hotel santa fe which is a navajo/south west theme and the davy crockett ranch(wild west theme log cabins). The cheaper hotels are further away from the park and you have to get a shuttle there which from reviews I've read can be unreliable and sometimes too packed to get on but at a price difference of over £700 I think waiting an extra 15 minutes is worth it ;). Prices I have based on myself, my husband and our daughter staying for 3 nights & 4 days in june are;

The Disneyland hotel - £1106.00
Hotel new york - £656.60
newport bay - £505.20
Sequoia lodge - £448.80
Hotle cheyenne - £439.60
The santa fe - £361.20
The ranch - £380.40

The prices will change by next year but that gives you a rough idea of what you looking at paying so whichever hotel you opt for just save a little extra for the price increase next year. It may be even cheaper if they do a deal like they did a few months back where you got an extra 20% off(or maybe it was 30 I can't remember) if you booked by a certain date, that's when I was looking originally and the disneyland hotel was only £856(or thereabouts) then.

I have been so lucky with Kyoko she was an exceptionally good baby, only woke twice at night for a quick feed and maybe to be changed and then she was asleep again. She didn't really have teething problems, she was a little grumpy and chewed alot but other then that she cut her teeth easily. She did have reflux as a baby but the only problem we had with that was the constant washing, most of the time it didn't bother her and once she started weaning it settled down. The only regret I have is not being able to breast feed for very long, but tbh I blame the hospital. When she was first born they placed her straight on my tummy and I waited until she'd been cleaned / wrapped up and then tried to breastfeed but she wasn't interested she was too interested in all the things around her the MW even commented on how alert she was. Anyway after several attempts she finally started feeding but the staff decided it would be best to top her up with formula too, which I believe made her more greedy and not satisfied with just breast milk so I did mix feeds from day one, breast one feed, bottle the next and so on. I did try just breast on the first day home from the hospital but she literally fed all day so I had to top her up. Managed to keep up breast feeding for almost 3 months before I had to go to just formula, she just wasn't satisfied with breast milk alone. She started sleeping right through(8/9 hours) from around 6 months and by 8 months she totally gave up daytime naps.
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:21 pm

Congrats, ZS! I'm so happy for you!

Andy gave me two nights off! ^_^ I slept in our new room downstairs, which was the garage so it's well insulated from the rest of the house when it comes to sound.. and Andy slept upstairs and Alex in his cot, so Andy could deal with his night-wakings/nappy changing and I could sleep downstairs in peace and only had to wake up for his 3am feed and then another at 6am.
So I got two nights of pretty restful sleep :D

Unfortunately, Alex has just learned to roll over.. which was great at first, but now we've realised that this means he does it all night in his cot and wakes himself up, and then even though he gets himself back to sleep by sucking his thumb, he can't stay asleep cos he's the wrong way up so he startles himself awake! >.<
Tonight'll be fun.. :roll:

Zombie Strawberries

Post by Zombie Strawberries » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:53 am

aww...

Mine just started to roll around in her crib. Sometimes we hear a loud "bang", meaning that she hit her head someplace.... poor little girl!

Disney is SO expansive.. I wish we could travel but we are far from that... My bf is studying and I stay-at-home. We have really little income :(

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:19 am

aww, bless him.

I dunno what i want Kelly....i thought maybe that this baby could be a girl, we'll (hopefully) find out on the 24th of July. i "knew" with seth that he was gonna be a boy....
i'm not too sure if i could cope with all the pink :$ but, don't want to be outnumbered, as this will be my final baby...so do i want 1 of each???

I'm awaiting a baby name book to arrive too, so i can start religiously reading it!!

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Then just don't buy pink stuff!
I hate pink girly stuff ¬_¬
Alex wears barely any blue.. I don't see why a girl should have to have pink stuff. I just told everyone I know not to get anything blue - no reason why you can't tell people not to get you pink stuff.

Zombie Strawberries wrote:aww...

Mine just started to roll around in her crib. Sometimes we hear a loud "bang", meaning that she hit her head someplace.... poor little girl!
Ouch! I heard some banging this morning and went in to find Alex lying on his back, sideways in his cot, kicking the bars! Crazy child..

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:36 pm

That's very true - i was thnking bigger picture though, when they find barbie & all her happy pink friends! :lol: :roll:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:17 pm

I felt the same DSM, I hated pink and told everyone not to buy pink because she wouldn't be wearing it, when she was newborn she had alot of lemon,white, lilac, purple,even a few black dresses but no pink at all(not even a pink trim).

As you mentioned as she's gotten older and discovered girl toys and all the pink that comes with it her wardobe has changed, initially it was hello kitty tops which had just a pink bow on, then it was black trousers with a pink belt now half her clothes are pink, her bed is a pink princess bed, she has pink furniture, pink hair accesories, etc. She just seemed to go from being a tomboy and wearing alot of black / purple to overnight wanting to be all girly and pink, at first we weren't to keen but now it's a case of well it makes her happy and if we say she can't wear it then it's just going to make her want it even more. I think it's rubbed off on me a bit because now I'm not totally adverse to the idea of wearing something with a bit of pink on it or even pink hair wheras 3 or so years ago I'd have laughed at the thought of wearing anything pink.
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:That's very true - i was thnking bigger picture though, when they find barbie & all her happy pink friends! :lol: :roll:
Yeah.. I guess it depends on the kid - I never had a thing for pink. My mum wanted me to - she bought me dolls and girly things but I just used to play 'catch the baby' with my brother.. which involved hurling the doll across the "chasm" we created between the two sofas we were sat on. My mum used to 'mother' her dolls, so she was quite shocked when I did that!
I used to prefer little animal things like sylvanian families.. they'd go on adventures in the garden, getting covered in mud. I also loved those Boglin things.. they were great!
My sister was girly tho - she used to wrap my brother's Boglin up in a hankie and rock it to sleep! :lol:

I'd be so lost with a girly girl.. I feel for you, Az!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:00 pm

OMG rhae - i was exactly the same - I longed for a big boglin with movable eyes...I only ever had a little one. I used to have barbies but i punked them up a bit and me and my little bro used to play massive games in the garden with my barbies and his action man - seearch and rescue missions involving zip lines and parachutes :D

I had a pink room when i was older (about 13) but it was day-glo pink (and purple and green) with psychedelic stuff everywhere. Used to give my mum a headache :lol:

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:17 pm

i had a few barbies - but was never into all the frilly girly stuff. i cut barbies hair & made her a little "normal" looking :lol: i liked drawing, swimming & playing in hte mud :D

my mum never put me in frills - i didn't suit em, so was never a girly girl

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”