The Weight Watchers Thread!!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
sashyy

Re: The Weight Watchers Thread!!

Post by sashyy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:05 pm

LizSherman wrote:I do it all online :) It's really easy to sign up and follow and it's worked a charm for me. I can't reccomend Weight Watchers enough! :D
do you pay the £9.95 a month for it online?
did you have to change your eating pattern ?
its just living at home is real annoying beacuse my mum does the shopping so i have to eat what she buys!!

Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:12 pm

I've just joined Weightwatchers Online. At the moment there's a two week free trial on, so if anyone's wanting to give it a go without the expense now is a really good time! :) I've already lost nearly two stone on my own but feel as though I need something extra as I've stayed the same for the last month or so, I'm hoping that joining and being 'official' will give me the kick up the backside I need to get losing again!! :D

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:29 pm

sashyy wrote:
LizSherman wrote:I do it all online :) It's really easy to sign up and follow and it's worked a charm for me. I can't reccomend Weight Watchers enough! :D
do you pay the £9.95 a month for it online?
did you have to change your eating pattern ?
its just living at home is real annoying beacuse my mum does the shopping so i have to eat what she buys!!
How old are you? You have to be 18 to join Weight Watchers. Or, at least you do online.
Yes, you do have to change what you eat :p You wouldn't loose weight otherwise! XD

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:06 pm

sashyy wrote: its just living at home is real annoying beacuse my mum does the shopping so i have to eat what she buys!!
Well why don't you tell your mum you want to diet? Most of it is all about changing your attitude towards food, and eating only what you need to and eating everything in moderation. It isn't as hard as some people think.

I also find that back on the old board every week people would post their weeks achievement and it spurred me on cuz I don't have the 'meeting' thing and this is the closest thing to it.

I am going to officially start back on the diet to the tee on the 1st. I'm hoping that will get me motivatied psychologically what with it being a new year, new start sort of thing. ^_^
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:11 pm

tazzyface wrote: I've already lost about 5-10kg by going vegan 2 years back - no meat and fatty junk food and more veggies and fruit had a great impact on my overall physical and mental health) now I want to keep losing it and finally start to feel happy with myself. I'm going to save about $1,000 to go on a massive shopping spree when I'm done, plus I have my "belly piercings for when I'm thinner" fund tucked away :P
I am going vegan, and its going to be total cut out on the 1st too. I've been cutting everything out gradually and that is the day everything goes. I was hoping it would help since I am going to try to avoid the processed vegan crap they make and stick to mainly veggies and tofu here and there. My boy got me a recipe book for xmas and its mainly vegetable based meals, a lot include butter but its only a tbs in a meal which to me is moderate if I don't eat any for breakfast.

I also want a 'fund' for my belly piercing. I had it done before but I got too fat and it sort of went all manky since it no longer sat nicely in my bellybutton. I want it done again if I can get 'thin' (thin to me is average size, but to most people it means stick sized lol).

sashyy

Post by sashyy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Lorny wrote:
sashyy wrote: its just living at home is real annoying beacuse my mum does the shopping so i have to eat what she buys!!
Well why don't you tell your mum you want to diet? Most of it is all about changing your attitude towards food, and eating only what you need to and eating everything in moderation. It isn't as hard as some people think.

I also find that back on the old board every week people would post their weeks achievement and it spurred me on cuz I don't have the 'meeting' thing and this is the closest thing to it.

I am going to officially start back on the diet to the tee on the 1st. I'm hoping that will get me motivatied psychologically what with it being a new year, new start sort of thing. ^_^
yeah i suppose,
i will join you in posting weekly on here :)
cant afford weight watchers so weekly meets here it is :D
just got a wii so im gonna go about 1 hour a day on the different sport activites and get into diet mode!

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:02 pm

Lorny wrote:
tazzyface wrote: I've already lost about 5-10kg by going vegan 2 years back - no meat and fatty junk food and more veggies and fruit had a great impact on my overall physical and mental health) now I want to keep losing it and finally start to feel happy with myself. I'm going to save about $1,000 to go on a massive shopping spree when I'm done, plus I have my "belly piercings for when I'm thinner" fund tucked away :P
I am going vegan, and its going to be total cut out on the 1st too. I've been cutting everything out gradually and that is the day everything goes. I was hoping it would help since I am going to try to avoid the processed vegan crap they make and stick to mainly veggies and tofu here and there. My boy got me a recipe book for xmas and its mainly vegetable based meals, a lot include butter but its only a tbs in a meal which to me is moderate if I don't eat any for breakfast.

I also want a 'fund' for my belly piercing. I had it done before but I got too fat and it sort of went all manky since it no longer sat nicely in my bellybutton. I want it done again if I can get 'thin' (thin to me is average size, but to most people it means stick sized lol).
I tend to avoid the processed stuff too (though we have a limited range in my local area so it's easier). I prefer the meals I make myself anyway, processed stuff makes me feel crappy whereas healthier food makes me feel good. I make a lot of stirfrys and such, they're dead easy to make and so healthy too - vegetables, tofu and a bit of sauce, and sometimes I throw in nuts too. Over here we have a brand of margerine called Nuttelex which is vegan and readily available everywhere. It tastes identical to margerine and butter so I use that when I need it :)

What was the name of that cookbook? I've been looking to try some new recipes because as much as I love the meals I make, it's getting a bit tiring making the same thing over and over.

I just want to be a healthy size, not too big and not too thin. A healthy medium, that would make me happy. I still want to keep my curves ;) Getting the belly piercings I want is my reward for that, as I don't want to risk getting a bunch of surface piercings only to have them reject or sit weirdly.
More human than human

sashyy

Post by sashyy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:08 pm

anyone tried the special k diet ?
:)

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:16 pm

sashyy wrote:anyone tried the special k diet ?
I wouldn't reccomend any diet like the special k diet.
It works by reducing your calorific and fat intake for the 2 weeks you are on it, unfortunately this teaches you absolutely nothing about portion control or dietary management.
So when those two weeks are up and you go back to normal food, BOOM back comes all your weight. Normally with a few extra lbs and some cellulite too!
Special K may work in the short term, but it will only hinder your long term progress.
Take it from me, I've been crash-dieting for years, and only now have I managed to loose some serious weight.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:23 pm

You eat a handful of cereal, literally a handful (30g is NOTHING) twice a day for two weeks and yes you will lose weight. However, when you actually start eating again its all going to go back on. Its just one of them holiday panic diets.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 pm

LizSherman wrote:
It works by reducing your calorific and fat intake for the 2 weeks you are on it, unfortunately this teaches you absolutely nothing about portion control or dietary management.
So when those two weeks are up and you go back to normal food, BOOM back comes all your weight. Normally with a few extra lbs and some cellulite too!
Special K may work in the short term, but it will only hinder your long term progress.
Take it from me, I've been crash-dieting for years, and only now have I managed to loose some serious weight.
Pipped to the post! :lol:

*EDIT* Or not, I must have not scrolled down that extra tiny bit, since yours was posted 20 minutes before me. :lol:
Last edited by Lorny on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm

tazzyface wrote:
I tend to avoid the processed stuff too (though we have a limited range in my local area so it's easier). I prefer the meals I make myself anyway, processed stuff makes me feel crappy whereas healthier food makes me feel good. I make a lot of stirfrys and such, they're dead easy to make and so healthy too - vegetables, tofu and a bit of sauce, and sometimes I throw in nuts too. Over here we have a brand of margerine called Nuttelex which is vegan and readily available everywhere. It tastes identical to margerine and butter so I use that when I need it :)

What was the name of that cookbook? I've been looking to try some new recipes because as much as I love the meals I make, it's getting a bit tiring making the same thing over and over.

I just want to be a healthy size, not too big and not too thin. A healthy medium, that would make me happy. I still want to keep my curves ;) Getting the belly piercings I want is my reward for that, as I don't want to risk getting a bunch of surface piercings only to have them reject or sit weirdly.
Vegan Cooking for One: Over 150 Simple and Appetizing Meals is the name of the book. Its brilliant. It has a shopping list at the beginning of each 'week' of meals (there are 9 weeks for spring/summer and 9 for autumn/winter), and its made only for one person so theres no way I can make a meal for 'four' and eat the whole lot! They are also very quick, 15 minutes usually for the prep and about half hour to cook. If a recipe uses a big vegetable such a cauliflower it will use it more than once in the week so it doesn't get wasted, and each week has totally different meals. You have to plan your own lunch and breakfast but thats pretty simple anyway.

sashyy

Post by sashyy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Lorny wrote:
LizSherman wrote:
Pipped to the post! :lol:

*EDIT* Or not, I must have not scrolled down that extra tiny bit, since yours was posted 20 minutes before me. :lol:

good point didnt really think of it like that!
im just soo confused, so many different diets, things to do and eat and im just confused ahah!
im tired !

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:34 am

sashyy wrote:

good point didnt really think of it like that!
im just soo confused, so many different diets, things to do and eat and im just confused ahah!
im tired !
Seriously just go for this one! Or try Slimmimg world, which could be easier if working out point values is going to be a downfall. Can PM me about that if you like since I have also done that diet and it might help you if you have no funds for WW online or anything. :)

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:34 am

sashyy wrote:good point didnt really think of it like that!
im tired !
Heheheh, I know the feeling all too well. I've tried every diet under the sun, which is a really terrible thing as when you crash diet, it causes you to get cellulite and that stuff is a B****H to get rid of! :D
I second Lorny's comment, go for Weight Watchers! I've learnt SO MUCH in the months I've been on it that it's been worth every penny for me.
However, Slimming World can be gotten free/discounted if you talk to your doc about weight loss. If he/she feels you need it then they can forward you on :)
Naturally though, i'd go for Weight Watchers if I were you! It's frikkin' fabulous :D

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:56 am

LizSherman wrote: However, Slimming World can be gotten free/discounted if you talk to your doc about weight loss. If he/she feels you need it then they can forward you on :)
When I crept from 79kg to 94kg the doctors was just thinking about taking me off the pill rather than get me on a diet. I never trust doctors to do much for you. I am on a waiting list to see a dietician and the wait is like 5 months or something. Yeah, thanks, great help.

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Lorny wrote:
LizSherman wrote: However, Slimming World can be gotten free/discounted if you talk to your doc about weight loss. If he/she feels you need it then they can forward you on :)
When I crept from 79kg to 94kg the doctors was just thinking about taking me off the pill rather than get me on a diet. I never trust doctors to do much for you. I am on a waiting list to see a dietician and the wait is like 5 months or something. Yeah, thanks, great help.
God that's terrible! I'd switch doctors (ofcourse, it might be a regional problem :( ).
I know of a bunch of people having SW suggested to them (myself, one of my best friends, my mum and one of hers!), we all got in free or with huge discounts! Though I'll admit none of us are on the pill (I thought my issue was the pill, so I switched to the mirena. OH MY GOD it's amazing.)!

Tainted

Post by Tainted » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:03 pm

I think I'm doomed :cry:

It's the 2nd of Jan and since I'm sat at home on a Friday night I've been bad already - damn my self control :oops:

I swear I'm back on it again tomorrow and I'll get back to keeping you guys up to date with my progress.

7.30 am tomorrow I'm getting out for a brisk walk with the dog - I'm determind now :oops: :mrgreen:

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:48 pm

I weighed myself at the gym on 21st December, and then again on 30th December, and I'd put on 8 pounds in that time :oops:

However, I installed dreads since the first weigh-in, and I've worked out they weigh about a pound and a half, so I've only really put on 6 1/2 pounds (only!), which is still shocking.

I've got my fisrt post-xmas Weight Watchers meeting on Wednesday, so I'm hoping I can claw it back a bit by then, dreads are coming out tomorrow so that should help!

Why do I have to work so hard to lose just 1 pound, but I can weight so easily? I didn't even have any Christmas Pudding or Mulled Wine! Unfortunately, cheese & biccies is my downfall, and there was a lot of cheese about this Christmas. Extra light Philly on Ryvita just can't compare to some Roquefort and butter on french bread...

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Lorny wrote:
tazzyface wrote:

Vegan Cooking for One: Over 150 Simple and Appetizing Meals is the name of the book. Its brilliant. It has a shopping list at the beginning of each 'week' of meals (there are 9 weeks for spring/summer and 9 for autumn/winter), and its made only for one person so theres no way I can make a meal for 'four' and eat the whole lot! They are also very quick, 15 minutes usually for the prep and about half hour to cook. If a recipe uses a big vegetable such a cauliflower it will use it more than once in the week so it doesn't get wasted, and each week has totally different meals. You have to plan your own lunch and breakfast but thats pretty simple anyway.
That sounds great, I'll definitely look into it :) Thanks!
More human than human

RxQueen

Post by RxQueen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:13 pm

i dont have any plan or dieting tips so share but i do have a bit of a before/after pics of the past year:

i have noticeably lost weight, and went down a lot of sizes but never weigh myself enough to know exactly how much i lost.
good luck to everyone who's working hard on having a healthy weight :i9:

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Well since the ball is rolling, this was me at my heaviest:

And this is me now (minus the hair!):

Not many people have noticed my weight loss, only people what haven't seen me in ages. Its still nice for people to say it, although it is embarrassing when people say "wow, you've lost loads of weight!"

*EDIT* Maybe we can all post little pictures of our progress up?

RxQueen

Post by RxQueen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Lorny you look great!
i know just what you mean with people not noticing. then your like "all that work".
and then when people do say "shit you've lost so much weight" its embarrassing for sure. i really don't know which is worse?
i love before/after pics!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Me too! After all this, I've just sat and scoffed a pasty and choccie biccies when I'm not even hungry. At least now its out of the house, and I refuse to buy anymore. So while I just shot myself in the foot I'm hoping that is the last of the crap I'll eat. I am also having a competition with my boyfriend to see who can lose more weight each week but he never actually diets so he probably won't lose anything.

Tainted

Post by Tainted » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Ohhh, how much have you lost between those photos Lorny?? :shock:

I'm still stuck in limbo so I don't have before/ after shots as yet - I lose 3 pounds one week and it's back again 2 weeks later :roll: :oops:

....I'm making a go of it this time though, I'm sick of wearing baggy jeans :lol:

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”