Geeks unite!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Marshmallowmassacre

Geeks unite!

Post by Marshmallowmassacre » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:30 pm

So I was curious to know who else in this thread is a RAGING geek like me and I thought we could all share some of our super geeky pleasures, so what do you like? A few of my favorite geeky interests includeee!
Anime
Manga
Jpop
Gothic and Lolita
Star wars
Vinyl action figures (Strangeco, Strangekiss, Friends with you, Munnys, ect.)
Asian drama films.
Comic books
RPGS (namely things like dungeons and dragons)
Video games (Mario cart, Katamari damacy, DDR ect)
and it's not excessively geeky now adays but I collect gloomy bears and hello kitty like it's air.

Hotmess

Re: Geeks unite!

Post by Hotmess » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:40 pm

Star wars, and anime fan here! I am also big with computers. I have this strange computer chip obsession.

KeiVendetta

Post by KeiVendetta » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:18 am

I am pretty geeky, I have an ever growing comic/tpb/graphic novel collections, small army of action figures & I'm pretty obsessed with doctor who, batman, horror & scifi anything. I'm also going to school for media & film stuff, I love to editing and other creative things you can do the the computer.

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 am

Lets see geeky thing;

I'm a mega fish nerd :P I have a few tanks, want to get more, I film my fish and edit music over the top, that's how super nerdy I am about them, feel free to watch my fish vids on youtube(ignore the first one of my kid on her bday);

http://www.youtube.com/user/Azaezl

Video games - I LOVE my xbox 360 & wii, I also have older consoles like the gamecube,ps2, snes, megadrive and my OH(who is just as obsessed) wants to buy an atari even though we have the atari anthology.

Films & tv series - we have alot of films & tv series, we watch films at least twice a week(wed / sun are our film nights) and we always have 2 tv series on the go, at the moment we are watching the A-Team with our lunch and the sopranos just before bed.
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:38 am

Well I am playing Dungeons and Dragons toady with some friends- could I be more geeky?
not a big role player but I do it occasionally.

I like Anime and manga, I am reading Nana, Pet shop of Horrors, Model and many others I have a few editions of.

I love all the films by studio Gibli :)

I am obsessed with ABJD (asian ball jointed dolls) and belong to several forum, attend meets and have too many dolls!

I am interested in loli, read the GLB, but don't often wear it as I feel I am a bit too old to wear a lot of it!

Miss Asphyxia

Post by Miss Asphyxia » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:56 am

My job requires me to be a geek, so I guess I'll take up my place in the thread. It's always funny the reactions people get listening to me spurt out stuff about games they might not have even heard of.

I've shed a lot of my geeky tendencies though..But I'd refer to some of them more as an interest from an artistic perspective rather than a geeky one, if that makes sense, though they'll always have a special place in my heart.

Stuff like BJD's, Anime and manga (Still a bit of a closet Narutard), Lord of the Rings et cetera I'm not so into anymore. I still love them though.

Gothic and lolita, Hello Kitty, sci-fi, art books, (Good) comic book movies and asian candy are my geeky vices right now.

I'd also cosplay if I had the body and talent to do it REALLY well.
I am beyond God, I am human

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 am

I'm a fan of anime and manga, too. I obsessed over Inuyasha for a long time and have an action figure of him on my bookshelf, hehe. I'm also into Japanese horror and get super angry every time they do an american version as they always completely butcher them. Leave horror to those who know what they're doing!

I'm a Doctor Who geek but only like the new ones and have become a bit of a David Tennant fan girl :oops:

Other than manga pretty much the only thing I read is anything by Stephen King and I now own 32 of his books (yes, I just counted) and the first volume of the Dark Tower graphic novels.

Errrrm, what else? Oh! Pokemon! I love Pokemon games! I have a little mew sitting on my shelf and the complete diamond and pearl pokedex, woohoo!

I'm also mega into animals and will happily sit with my laptop watching all the funny animal videos on YouTube. I have 2 chinchillas and 2 gerbils and could easily fill my entire house with a menagerie of various animals if it wasn't for the fact that I live in rented accommodation and have a boyfriend who doesn't share my love of all things furry, feathery and scaly. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise? Heh.

:geek:
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

ClaireCalavera

Post by ClaireCalavera » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Oh hell yeah! lol
Let's see, my geekisms are:

- Manga & Anime (especially Ruroni Kenshin, Read or Die, Little Pet Shop of Horrors & Studio Gibli films)
- World Cinema (Battle Royale, Zatoichi, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance ftw!!!)
- Video Games (particularly The Sims 2)
- The Internet (forums especially)
- Halloween (totally obsessed with this - we're talking year round discussion on a forum!)
- Harry Potter
- Sci Fi programmes/films like Heroes, Star Wars etc
- Grammar geek
- Action figures (especially anime/manga/film characters)
- Film memoribilia (especially Kill Bill)
- Incessant quoter of The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, Spaced, South Park, Eddie Izzard, Monty Python, Trailer Park Boys, Peep Show, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Black Books, Monkey Island (and many others) as part of everyday speech...
- Cosplay and fancy dress
- General science/history/literature geek

There is probably more, but, that's enough to get the jocks pointing and throwing books at me lol
"Make any joke you want, you know I look good" - Stewie Griffin

Marshmallowmassacre

Post by Marshmallowmassacre » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:12 pm

littlepinkfaery wrote:I like Anime and manga, I am reading Nana, Pet shop of Horrors, Model and many others I have a few editions of.
Nana is absolutely AMAZING! I just watched both live action movies, they are great and Pet shop of horrors so good, my favorite story is the one about Alice! YAY!

twigletstar

Post by twigletstar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Yay for geeks!

I'm a geek for computer coding, I might not be very good but I love learning it.

Im a comedy geek/obsessive. I latch onto one thing and don't let go. I spent the last two years being Boosh-obsessed and chasing Noel Fielding around Camden. I've calmed down with that one now though :D

Comics! I'm currently totally obsessed with Umbrella Academy. I'm drawing my own story for that at the moment.

Formula 1. My god do I get geeky with that... I even used to collect transcripts of technical information when it was published at the end of every season, and I don't even understand it :lol:

There are other even more geeky things which are just way too embarrassing to share :oops:

cybernetikdreams

Post by cybernetikdreams » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm

I am also a massive geek as well. :roll:

Some of my lovely geeky interests include both anime and manga. I am excited since I just received Wolf's Rain and I can plunk down in front of my tv and watch it tonight. Some of my favorite anime/manga includes Fushigi Yuugi (both anime and manga), Sailor Moon, Pet Shop of Horrors, Vision of Escaflowne (mainly the anime over the manga) are just to name a few...

I also love all the films by studio Ghibli like little pink fairy.

I also watch lots of Asian Dramas (Japanese, Korean and Chinese) as well as asian horror films.

Books and movies in general. I have a massive collection and I can't leave a bookstore without buying at least one book. I am also a huge X files, Firefly, Buffy and Angel fan. I can never get tired of watching those series over and over again.

Video games- Currently addicted to World of Warcraft. Before I used to play EQ many many moons ago and I also occasionally play Grando Esponsa here and there.However I also have a PS2 , DS and x Box 360 which are well loved in my house. And I NEED the new PS3 but sadly funds have not allowed it yet.

I also love comics and comic book based movies- Sandman is by far my favorite and I love anything by Alan Moore. (And I also squealed like a school girl when I saw the Watchmen preview).

And lots more other geeky things but I should really get back to work... :roll:
Honestly I should be working...

davendor

Post by davendor » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:17 pm

I'm an original Mini fan - none of this BMW crap! I LOVE the national mini cooper days...standing in a field full of mini's is just so amazing!!! :D

I've spent most of my life on a computer. I even taught myself how to use them all. Saving up to build a new one of my own which is going to kick ass :twisted:
I tried being a programming geek, but I just couldn't get invested enough in the course and dropped out of Uni. So next year I'm going back to college to go back to my first love - circuit boards. Man I love making things like that <3

I watch pretty much ANY sci-fi. NOT star trek though. I'm afraid i'll get into it again. I also love my anime. I'd like to read Manga more, I just can't afford to :(

I treasure my Toshiro Hitsuguya cosplay costume. I want a FFX Lulu one next.

I LOVE the old x-men cartoons, and usually argue with people who try and say the third xmen movie was good.

Am quite a devil may cry obsessed person too. Definitely OBSESSED with Final Fantasy VII and X !!! Also Tomb Raider.

I had to sell my PS2 and DS though...so I have no console now :cry: and I want the new Tomb raider game so badly, but wont be able to play it when it comes out.

Lego games - they just rule.

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 am

davendor wrote:I'm an original Mini fan - none of this BMW crap! I LOVE the national mini cooper days...standing in a field full of mini's is just so amazing!!! :D

I've spent most of my life on a computer. I even taught myself how to use them all. Saving up to build a new one of my own which is going to kick ass :twisted:
I tried being a programming geek, but I just couldn't get invested enough in the course and dropped out of Uni. So next year I'm going back to college to go back to my first love - circuit boards. Man I love making things like that <3

I watch pretty much ANY sci-fi. NOT star trek though. I'm afraid i'll get into it again. I also love my anime. I'd like to read Manga more, I just can't afford to :(

I treasure my Toshiro Hitsuguya cosplay costume. I want a FFX Lulu one next.

I LOVE the old x-men cartoons, and usually argue with people who try and say the third xmen movie was good.

Am quite a devil may cry obsessed person too. Definitely OBSESSED with Final Fantasy VII and X !!! Also Tomb Raider.

I had to sell my PS2 and DS though...so I have no console now :cry: and I want the new Tomb raider game so badly, but wont be able to play it when it comes out.

Lego games - they just rule.

heh Xmen fan over here! Love the old cartoon series and the 2nd film in particular far too much. And I still have a mega crush on Gambit :oops:

As far as anime/manga goes, I've only really got into Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits- I've been into a few book stores to read something new but I just don't know where to start! Any recommendations? I love CCS, Chobits, Sailor Moon type stuff with really pretty art work. :3
"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

davendor

Post by davendor » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 am

Becca wrote: heh Xmen fan over here! Love the old cartoon series and the 2nd film in particular far too much. And I still have a mega crush on Gambit :oops:

Then you'll be heavily anticipating this as much as me: X-Men Origins
Gambit is a sexy beast :D

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 am

Becca wrote: As far as anime/manga goes, I've only really got into Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits- I've been into a few book stores to read something new but I just don't know where to start! Any recommendations? I love CCS, Chobits, Sailor Moon type stuff with really pretty art work. :3
Tsubasa is great. It's got Sakura, Syaoran and Chi in the story but it's all set in an alternate reality. Pita Ten has lovely art work and is quite cutesy and funny - I take it that's the sort of manga you like? Check out Princess AI for visuals, too. Other manga I like includes Love Hina, Azimanga Daioh, Negima and A.I. Love You.
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

zombie

Post by zombie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:09 pm

Am i a geek if I spend most of my day at the computer?
I have too much time, so many unimportant but necessary things to do, but I only spend time at the computer :roll:
Slaughter is the best medicine.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm a Lord of the Rings geek. I have a full room in my house with nothing but LOTR stuff

I'm a classic lit geek, and while drunk might talk about it :oops:

I play Neverwinter Nights with my hubby.

I also attend/participate in living history events pertaining to the American Civil War.

yup....pretty geeky...

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Haylum wrote:I'm also into Japanese horror and get super angry every time they do an american version as they always completely butcher them. Leave horror to those who know what they're doing!

:geek:
YES! I totally agree, I love japanese horror and it fills with me with rage everytime hollywood releases another japanese classic, I also hate re-makes, why do they have to re-make everything, there's nothing wrong with the originals!
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:54 pm

davendor wrote:
Becca wrote: heh Xmen fan over here! Love the old cartoon series and the 2nd film in particular far too much. And I still have a mega crush on Gambit :oops:

Then you'll be heavily anticipating this as much as me: X-Men Origins
Gambit is a sexy beast :D
Haha ohhhhhh yes *swoons* The actor is soooooo yummy! I hope he has a nice deep voice :D

Haylum wrote:
Becca wrote: As far as anime/manga goes, I've only really got into Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits- I've been into a few book stores to read something new but I just don't know where to start! Any recommendations? I love CCS, Chobits, Sailor Moon type stuff with really pretty art work. :3
Tsubasa is great. It's got Sakura, Syaoran and Chi in the story but it's all set in an alternate reality. Pita Ten has lovely art work and is quite cutesy and funny - I take it that's the sort of manga you like? Check out Princess AI for visuals, too. Other manga I like includes Love Hina, Azimanga Daioh, Negima and A.I. Love You.

Aww thanks a lot!! Yeah that's the sort of manga I like- and how did I not know about Tsubasa?! Crazy, I'm gonna write those down and check them out when I'm shopping :D

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Boosh!

soup, soup, a spicy soup, soup, carrot and corriander, chilli chowder....

Clam a lama down, calm a lama deep down....

love the crimping!

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 pm

littlepinkfaery wrote:Boosh!

love the crimping!

haha awesome! Seeing the Boosh in November, can't wait :D:D
I'd like to add I'm also a Pokemon nerd- only the older series though. Still know the words to the original pokerap haha 8-)

ClaireCalavera

Post by ClaireCalavera » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Becca wrote:

love the crimping!

I'd like to add I'm also a Pokemon nerd- only the older series though. Still know the words to the original pokerap haha 8-)
Omg Becca are you seeing them at the Brighton Centre?! If so, see you there! :D
"Make any joke you want, you know I look good" - Stewie Griffin

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:29 pm

ClaireCalavera wrote:
Becca wrote:

love the crimping!

Omg Becca are you seeing them at the Brighton Centre?! If so, see you there! :D
Unfortunately not :( I ordered the tickets before I knew I'd got into Brighton Uni, so I booked the Birmingham show because it's nearer to home :S Kinda wish I was more confident and got tickets for Brighton now!

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:16 pm

i guess i'm technically a geek since i work in the computer field. i have a lot of interest in network security. i also enjoy anime and manga, but it's an expensive habit to feed so i haven't been indulging in a long time.

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 am

Everything youve listed are my fave things!!!! plus WoW and yes i sit with my glasses on playing WoW till the wee hours while my boyfriend reads me the maps LOL

Im addicted to TokiDoki and Gloomy Bear! Im currently watching Japanarama!!

Love J-Rock/J-pop Gackt, Larc'en'seal (sp?), Miyavi ect ect....

Gothic lolita mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Big collecter of Japanese/korian/chinese horror movies! And crap or old horror movies and B-movies! And thing Horror and im there!

Vampire books! loads and loads of books about vampires or vampire related fiction lol.

Anime and manga are my addiction as well! ive got a HUGE HUGE HUGE... manga bookshelf full and anime DVD's by the wardrobe full!...

Teddybear lover! cant help myself anything plushie makes me coo! lol

Also funny tv shows normal people go "huh?" when you say the name of E.g Black books, spaced, warpspeed, coupling, ect.

I also have an extensive collection of Warhammer models.

Also a big collecter and lover of old cartoons e.g count duckula, trapdoor, tail spin, duck tails, bagpuss ect...

Best part of being a geek is.... i have a coin collecting, Warhammer model loving, cartoon watching mental case of a boyfriend to do all the geeky things i love with me lol
**Zombie <^/._.\^> Kitty**

http://twitter.com/JayJayCuppycake

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”