finding posts from HH - google's cache

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
starlight

finding posts from HH - google's cache

Post by starlight » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:43 pm

hey all.. thought this'd be useful.. if anyone posted anything on HH that they want to retrieve (tutorials for example), it may be possible to get bits and pieces back.. just type as much as you can remember from what you're looking for (name of the thread, or failing that as many words/phrases as you can from it), along with the words 'heavenly hair' into google, and then instead of clicking on the usual link you'd use, look for the one underneath that says 'cached'.. it's google's snapshot of the page, none of the links will work within it but you can view posts :)

for example:

:)

LittlePinkFaery

Re: finding posts from HH - google's cache

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:25 pm

but the server has gone- nothing up at all.

I am no expert but you are surely re directed to the same suspended page?

I take that back- sometimes it works- just had a play :)

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Well I tried it just to see, and I got directed to google's saved version of the 3rd page of the Hair Swap from the 5th of August. Obv you cant navigate around the pages, but I got to view the entire 3rd page of the thread.
Might help some people out!
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

starlight

Post by starlight » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:31 pm

yeah i don't think it'll work for anything really recent, or anything that wasn't viewed a lot..

it only works if you click cache.. I think it's because google takes snapshots of the pages every so often, and stores it.. somewhere... lol I don't really understand it, and might be totally wrong there, but I used it to find the list of everyone who signed up to the charm swap on there :)

it's no guarantee, but if anyone's desperate to find something then it's worth a try :)

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:35 pm

well if anyone finds any useful tutorials copy them and re post them :)

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:50 pm

i tried that a week ago and all i got from the cached page was a database error. i guess when it got cached it was during an error. i tried just now and got some stuff to come up but nothing useful.

Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss

Post by Cupcak3_pr1nc3ss » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:07 pm

ughs i got the index and thats it
it really makes me miss the old forum tho!
all that info is just gone :?
good luck to all

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”