~Recipe Corner~

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
WalksWithStrangers

Re: ~Recipe Corner~

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:04 pm

I absolutely love this recipe, which is a shame as it's so high in calories and fat :lol:

Spicy Peanut Noodle Soup Recipe (also works great as a sauce for rice)

You will need:
2 Noodle Nests (optional!)
150g Peanut Butter (unsweetened, crunchy)
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 Stick Celery, finely chopped
1 Green Pepper, finely chopped
1 Litre Chicken/Vegetable Stock
1 Large Clove Garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of Hot Chilli Powder.

In a large soup pot add your chilli powder to your stock, I use 1/2 of a teaspoon but you can add it to your own taste! Bring this to the boil, and chop your onion, garlic, and celery and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes, then chop your peppers up and add them to the pot too! Bring it to the boil again.
Reduce heat to low, cover and let it simmer again for 10 minutes, or until your veggies are tender.
In another pan, if you're having noodles, cook your noodles - make sure they're done, but still with a bit of bite, as they'll absorb more of the liquid from the soup and get a bit bloated and mushy. Drain and set them aside.

Reduce heat to the lowest setting on your oven, and slowly add your peanut butter. Stir with a wooden spoon until it's nicely blended with the stock.
You can leave it chunky and add your noodles, or leave out the noodles and leave it chunky - which makes for a really nice sauce for rice!
Or, leave out the noodles and blend it all up, and it makes a delicious, creamy, and warming soup.
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:41 am

This is one of my favourite recipes that I made up, it's pretty standard so it's easy to follow and adapt for you, but this is what I do;

Ingredients

1/2 packet of Satay tofu (can make your own marinade using crunchy peanut butter, water and spices), chopped into chunks
4 Mushrooms, chopped in half
1 Capsicum (bell pepper), chopped into chunks
1 Brown Onion, chopped into chunks
4 Cherry Tomatoes, whole
1 Zucchini, chopped into chunks
2 tbsp Peanut Butter
1 tbsp Dark agave nectar (or stevia)
Coriander
Skewers

Method;

Put all the ingredients onto skewers. Mix pb, agave, coriander together to a runny consistency, brush onto skewers and grill. So yummy and easy! If you want something more substantial try cooking quinoa or brown rice along with the skewers and serve!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 am

I made this in my slow cooker and it's sooooooo yum. I also put a slow cooker liner in before making it so cleaning up is a snap! I couldn't imagine all the time I'd have to spend scraping the cobbler out without a liner. Oh, I almost forgot the most important part... serving the cobbler with your favorite flavor of ice cream on top! If you'd rather whipped cream with powdered sugar dusted over it, that works too.

Double Berry Cobbler
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp oil
2 cups blackberries
2 cups blueberries
3/4 cup water
1 tsp orange zest

Combine 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a medium bowl and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, and oil; stir into flour mixture until moistened and spread batter evenly in slow cooker.

Combine berries, remaining sugar, water, and zest in a large saucepan.

Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and pour over batter without stirring.

Cover and cook on High for 2 to 2.5 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center tests clean.

Uncover and let stand 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:58 am

This is a Slimming World recipe, no idea on sins or anything as my friend gave me the recipe. It's amazing. Chicken pasander with baked broccoli and cauliflower (you can use rice or whatever, instead)

You need:

for the curry:
150 grams Greek yoghurt (0% fat for the SW version, normal if you're not fussed)
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 lemon
2 cloves garlic
Root ginger
1/2 large onion
2tbs tomato puree
2tps curry powder of your choice, I use hot
Cinnamon stick (optional)
100 ml water

for the veg:
1 head cauliflowe
1 head broccoli
2tsps cumin seeds
Fry light/olive/sunflower oil

Cut chicken breasts into bitesize pieces
Grate the garlic and about an inch piece of root ginger
Mix together Greek yoghurt, the juice from the lemon, curry powder, ginger and garlic
Add chicken breasts, mix, cover and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes approx.
Chop the onion, soften in a deep pan for 5 minutes along with the cinnamon stick if you're using it
Add chicken and sauce, cook for another three minutes
Add tomato puree and water, simmer for approx 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through

Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into florets, place on a baking tray
Sprinkle with the cumin seeds
Spray with Fry Light or use whichever oil you prefer
Place in a preheated oven (about 180 degrees) for approx 35 minutes

Serve! Garnish with chopped chillis or coriander or whatever you want. I usually cheat and use ground ginger, lemon juice and garlic puree, it works just as well, and you can add stuff like extra veg to it as well.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 am

Another slow cooker recipe! This is a roast that makes a super rich gravy. Not for the diet conscious!!!

*2 - 3lb top sirloin roast (go with a weight that'll fit your slow cooker & the key is marbleized meat - if it's lean, meaning barely any fatty streaks, it'll be far less flavorful and less tender)
*head of garlic
*1 can beef stock/broth
*1 package onion soup mix
*4 - 5 medium sized potatoes (I prefer red)
*your favorite seasonings (I like cajun spice blends)
*1 large sweet onion
*olive oil
*splash of red wine (any kind will do)

Heat up a large pan (cut your roast in half if necessary) and add in two turns of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) while pan is heating up. Turn down heat before oil smokes, you don't want to burn that lovely flavor away. While pan is heating up, Cut small pocket slits randomly in the meat. Just deep enough to fit cut up pieces of garlic and you can see it peeking out of the meat. I usually just cut the garlic cloves in quarters and shove a quarter in each pocket. How much you use is up to you. Now liberally sprinkle the meat with your seasonings and rub it in real good. Or pat down real hard. You want the seasonings to get into the meat, but don't abuse it! Okay, now that the pan is hot without smoking the oil, toss the meat in garlic side down. Get a good sear on the meat. Now sprinkle the seasonings on the bare side of the meat that's facing you. Don't worry about rubbing it in. Turn down heat a bit so you don't burn it.

Now, while that sears, chop up your potatoes and onions into bite sized pieces (I have a big mouth, so go with your best judgment). If you have a liner, now is the time to line your slow cooker. Dump veggies into slow cooker. Take a few more garlic cloves, smash 'em with the flat side of a knife and dump 'em as is in with the veggies. Again, amount is up to you. I used 3. Flip meat. Get a large bowl or mug and dump the broth/stock, onion soup packet and a splash of wine (think I used almost a quarter cup) all together and stir. If you want to make the gravy extra extra rich, add in a teaspoon of instant coffee (don't worry, you won't taste the coffee). Pour HALF mixture into slow cooker over veggies. Once meat is seared on all sides (or all pieces are seared if you had to cut it into manageable halves), put it on top of the veggies. At this point, you can add sliced mushrooms if you can fit it on top of the meat. If you like your mushrooms to taste like the gravy, add them in before the meat, otherwise they'll just taste like slow cooked mushrooms. Pop on the lid and cook for 6 or 8 hours.

Because you use a marbleized piece of meat, the gravy will be fatty. So, be prepared to skim it off the top to a more acceptable level when it's done cooking. The meat was so tender that it looked like I made shredded beef by the time I was done forking it into my bowl. I recommend making rice to put the roast over or cheesy mashed potatoes. Enjoy!!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Roasted Pepper Soup

serves 4
2 tbs olive oil
6 red peppers
2 garlic cloves
2 small red onions
2 pints hot vegetable stock
chili flakes, pinch
salt and coarse black pepper
fresh torn basil to serve

Rub peppers with 1 tbs of the oil and roast for 30 minutes at 200c. Remove stalks and seeds then place in a plastic bag for 20 minutes to cool. Peel of skins and roughly chop and set aside, saving any juices. Finely chop the onion and garlic and fry in the remaining oil until soft. Add salt, pepper and chili flakes. Stir in the peppers then add the stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, then whizz with the blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with basil and serve.

Low calorie, freezes well and can be spiced up easily if thats how you like it. ;)
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Love Bunny

Post by Love Bunny » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

:O ! I came on this thread planning on a soup also ^_^ !

Yours sounds lovely! I will be trying it out this week!

I am going to do a spicy carrot and corriander soup! - my favveeee!!

Its so easy - and best of all... YUMMMY AND VEGGIE!

You will need:

about 10 medium carrots
a small onion (red or normal, your choice! I like red as they are sweeter :) )
half a fresh red chilli
about 1 and a half to 2 pints of vegetable stock
a handfull of fresh corriander
chilli flakes (if you like it hot hot hot!!)

What you gotta do! :

chop all your carrots into slices and put them in a big saucepan (doesnt need to be pretty its going to be mush at the end :lol: )
Make up your vegetable stock!
Slice your onion into small pieces. fry your onion up with a TINY bit of olive oil just so they go see through and once thats done, add it too the hot stock!
Pour it over the carrots and leave it all to simmer for about an hour on a low/medium heat.
Chop up your fresh chilli finely!
Once its all nice and soft put the whole lot in the blender and buzz it til its smooth! add the fresh corriander and chilli and whiz it again...
When you've finished and its all mixed in well, pour it back in the pan, reheat for a min ir two, taste it, season it with pepper or add more chilli flakes if you wish and voila! Your done!

Garnish with a crack of pepper and a few fresh corriander leaves =)

You can refridgerate this for about 3 days after making and also freeze if for a couple of months if you decide to make loads!

x
~Jess ♥

International Secret Sweet & Savoury Swap! Sign Up HERE!

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:40 pm

I made a couple of things today that turned out really nice so I thought I'd share :)

First one is cake!

Norwegian Apple Cake (Eplekake)

You need: (I'm using DL as measurements, since thats what I used.)

2 eggs
1 and a half dl sugar
50 gram margarine
1 and a half dl milk
3 dl flour
2 tsb baking powder
2 apples
Cinnamon

Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the sugar.

Melt the margarine and add that along with the milk and mix.

Add the baking powder to the flour, and mix in.

Pour the mix into a small cake tin.

Slice the apples and lay them on top.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and a little sugar.

Put in the oven for 40 mins at 175C

Yum :D

Also, I kind of made this one up as I went along, but it was really nice. Just use as much as the ingrdients are you think you'll need. I mainly went by eye.

Sausage and lentil stew.

You need:

one cup of lentils (I used half yellow and half red lentils)
Stock Cube
Chick peas
Pepper (I used red)
Chillies
Hot dog type sausages
Squash
Sweetcorn
Spices, whatever you want.

Boil the water with the stock cube and add the lentils, simmer.
Check or taste the lentils as you go along, when they are half done add the vegetables and the sausage.
I used cajun spice, a little garlic pepper, and a bit of rosemary, but you can use whatever you want!
Let it simmer for about 15 more mins until the water is almost absorbed and a thick sauce is left.

Serve!

Obviously you can add and remove any ingredients. I'm going to experiment more with lentils :D

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Might have to try that carrot and coriander soup recipe.

Here's an amaaazing one I did yesterday... chocolate brownie cupcakes. Makes about 12. They're not exactly healthy but they're SO tasty!

ingredients

225g/8oz plain chocolate
85g/3oz butter (I use unsalted)
2 large eggs
200g/7oz soft dark brown sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
140g/5oz plain flour
75g/3oz chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases
Melt the chocolate and butter slowly until smooth. When its all melted remove from the heat, stir to make sure it's smooth and leave to cool slightly
Whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth. I use an electric whisk because it's a LOT easier than handwhisking dark brown sugar! Add the vanilla extract.
Stir in the flour until combined, then slowly add the melted chocolate and butter mix, stir until it's all combined then stir in the walnut pieces.
Spoon the mixture evenly between the paper cases and bake in the oven for 30 minutes OR until the brownies are firm to the touch but still soft in the middle.
Leave to cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack until cool completely

zeara

Post by zeara » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Rice and Beans with Onion

This is a very simple food, that i'm sure a lot of you already know how to make. However, i think i finally perfected the technique, so i thought i'd share.The beauty of this recipe is that you can add any vegetables you like along with or in stead of the onions. You can also use any beans you choose if you don't have or like kidney beans.

Ingredients:
1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 Tbs butter, plus more for sautéing
1 tsp salt
1 Onion, minced
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 can (about 2 cups) dark red kidney beans

Instructions:
In a reasonably large pot, boil the water
Once it is boiling add the salt, the Tbs of butter and the rice, stir a few times.
Turn the burner off and turn another burner on to low, move the pot to the new burner and cover it. Leave it for 20 min.
While the rice is cooking:
sauté the onion and garlic in butter until the onion is transparent and brownish.
Drain and rinse the beans.
When the rice is finished fluff it a little and then mix in everything else.

Season how you like, (i like some salt and a bunch of hot sauce).

This keeps for a few days if you leave it on the counter in a container (provided your house is reasonably cool). If you keep it in the fridge, a lot of the moisture come out and it gets kind of gummy and odd after a bit.
"All my friends are murder
Hey, all my bones no marrows in
All these fiends want teenage meat
All my friends are murderers."

pinky

Post by pinky » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:16 pm

i love to cook and i've recently began a low carb diet. i've taken some of my grandmothers recipes and made them low carb. enjoy!!

low carb squash and sausage casserole:

2-3 med yellow (crook neck) squash
1 sm onion
1lb of country sausage
1 egg
1/2 cup soy flower
1/2 cup crushed pork rinds
cheddar cheese to taste

cook your squash in a steamer or boil it until tender. brown the sausage, drain and let both cool. in a bowl mix sausage, squash, flour, pork rinds, and egg, mix together and toss in a little cheese. put mixture in a casserole dish and press down. add cheese on top (i like a lot <3 ) and place in oven at 375 until cheese is melty and starting to brown. remove and enjoy :D

low carb stuffed chicken breast

2 boneless skinless chicken breast with rib meat removed
1 cup of broccoli
4 slices of cheese (i used mozzerella but swiss would be good too)
4 slices of bacon
2 pieces of deli sliced ham
salt
pepper
garlic powder

place the breasts in between two pieces of cling wrap and using a heavy spoon or meat hammer pound the breasts until they are about 1/2 in thick. removed the cling wrap and season with spices to taste. in each breast place 1 slice of ham, 2 slices of cheese, and half of the broccoli. roll the breasts up and wrap with bacon (use toothpicks if it doesn't want to behave). place seam side down in a pan and cook in the over at 350-375 for about 30 mins until broccoli is tender and chicken is cooked through.

low carb stuffed spaghetti squash

1 med spaghetti squash (about 3lbs feeds 3 people)
1lb of breakfast sausage (ground turkey or even beef could be used)
3 cups of cheddar cheese
1egg
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

preheat the oven to 375. take a fork and poke holes all over the squash and place in a pan with a small amount of water (about 1/4 in). cook squash until tender depending on size this could take up to and hour. remove the squash and slice in half and let cool. remove seeds. brown sausage drain and let cool where you can work with it. add the egg and 1/2 the cheese mix together. drizzle a little olive oil over the squash and place back in the pan. season with salt and pepper and put the sausage mixture in the squash. add the remaining cheese over the top pop back in the oven and cook til cheese is browned.

low carb quiche pizza

4 oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/3c heavy cream
1/2 t oregano
2 cups shredded Italian cheese (mozzarella, Romano, parm mix - or your choice)
1/4 t garlic powder
1 large ripe tomato
1 cup shredded mozzarella
20 slices pepperoni

Beat cream cheese & eggs till smooth. Add cream, parmesan and spice. Spray 13 x 9" baking pan with PAM. Put 2 cups pizza cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over. "Squish" around to mix. Bake at 375 for 30-40 min till well browned. Remove from oven and cool. When you're ready to eat, spread thin slices of tomato, sprinkle on mozzarella, and layer with pepperoni (or any toppings you choose). Bake about 10 min in 375 oven till toppings bubbly and brown.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon May 03, 2010 8:47 am

Not a health food, this one. But well worth the effort. As requested by Kellye (thecutealternative)

Baked Chocolate Mousse

250g (9 oz) unsalted butter, cubed
350g (12oz) dark chocolate, broken into piecs
250g (9 oz) light soft brown sugar
5 large eggs, separated
salt
cocoa powder/icing sugar, to dust

Preheat oven to 160 deg, baseline a 9 inch loose-bottomed cake tin with baking parchment. Set the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth and glossy. Remove from heat and cool slightly then stir in the sugar, followed by the egg yolks, one at a time.

Put egg whites and a pich of salt into a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour into tin and smooth the top. Bake for approx 1 hour; the top should be firm but the middle should wobble a bit when you shift it. Cool completely in the tin, then remove and dust with icing sugar/ cocoa powder.

Serve with ice cream or single cream.
Repent. :lol:
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

DesolateBeloved

Post by DesolateBeloved » Thu May 13, 2010 2:42 am

It should be noted, most of what I'll have to add to the recipes will be severely bad for you. XD I don't write down measurements or even use them when I cook dinner, so all of my actual recipes are for baked goods. I do promise they are -fantastic- however. =D

Cherokee Fry Bread (Simple)

1 Cup Flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cups milk

Mix all ingredients until stiff. Roll out onto a floured board. Cut into strips. Drop in very hot oil until they turn golden brown. Retrieve. Cover in honey and powdered sugar. Dine!

Snickerdoodle Coffee Cake (One of my families favorites.)

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg

Heat oven to 400F. Mix all of the dry ingredients together thoroughly. In a separate bowl mix milk, butter, and egg. Combine until completely mixed. Pour into a pan, then sprinkle with a healthy coat of sugar (this will make a candy coating on top, its terrific). Bake for 25 minutes.

Brownies!!!

1 cup butter
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour

Heat oven to 350F. Spray pan or line in foil. Melt butter with chocolate chips, stir to create chocolate syrup. Add sugar, stir. Add eggs and vanilla, whisk. Add flour, stir until completely combined. Pour into pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Brickle (Great for the Holidays)

40 crackers (Saltines are best, any similarly shaped will do.)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
12 ounces of chocolate chips
5-6 Heath Bars, Hersheys, or similar candy-bar.

Lay down crackers on a cookie sheet that has been covered in foil. Melt butter, stir in sugar, let bubble. Let simmer for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour on crackers. Stick in 325F oven for 5-10 minutes. It should start to bubble. Remove from oven and -immediately- pour on chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes. Crumble candy-bars and spread out flat on top. Place in freezer for at least an hour. Remove from freezer, lift foil, turn upside down. Break into pieces. Eat!

That's all for now, folks. Hope they help!

Love Bunny

Post by Love Bunny » Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 am

I have THE BEST ! Chewy giant chocolate chip cookie recipie in the world !!

Here is it for you to love !

CHEWY GIANT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE !

290g of plain flour
3/4 tsp baking soda OR bicarbinate soda OR baking powder
A pinch of salt
226g of unsalted butter
330g of soft BROWN sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
200g chocolate chips (white, milk or dark, your choice! Or if you're like me, 100g of white and a 100g of milk :lol: YUM!)
2 Large Eggs

My method !

Set the oven to 160°C (gas mark 3/325°F)
Line a few trays with baking paper
Sive your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl (salt, flour, baking soda)
In another bowl add your brown sugar and butter and cream together to form a fluffy texture (I usually do this in my blender but it can be done by hand if the butter is soft enough :) )
Once the butter/sugar is combined, add your 2 large eggs and whisk them in to the mixture so there are no lumps. (again, you can u just add them into the blender and whizz)
Add the 2 tsp of Vanilla essence to the butter, sugar and egg mixture and mix it in well.
Once this is complete, add this mixture to your dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon to make sure there are no streaks of flour remaining.
Add your 200g of chocolate chips and... VOILA ! You have your complete cookie mixture !
Spoon large dollops onto the baking paper (it doesnt matter if they look like mountains at this point! they will flatten out and round off in the oven :) ) make sure there is enough room for them to spread out so leave a couple of inches gap between them !
Put them in the oven and bake for 15-20 mins (maybe more depending on how big they are, you can usually tell by looking!) then repeat untill the mixture is done :D

I love these hot with ice cream :mrgreen: yummy!

If anyone makes these feedback would be great :D xxx
Last edited by Love Bunny on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Jess ♥

International Secret Sweet & Savoury Swap! Sign Up HERE!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat May 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients
oil, for greasing
350g dark chocolate, broken in small pieces
250g unsalted butter
3 eggs
250g dark brown sugar, preferably muscovado
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Method
1. Heat the oven to 170°C/gas 3. Lightly grease a 22cm square cake tin.

2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.

3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.

4. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.

5. Sieve the flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir to mix. Pour the mixture into the cake tin.

6. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 35 minutes until the surface is set. It is cooked when it just starts to crack on the top. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool completely in the tin.

7. Slice the cake into squares and store in a tin or in a container in the fridge.

*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Mon May 31, 2010 9:17 pm

I see theres a couple brownie recipes, but personally, I dont like chocolate dough (so choc biscuits or cake or anything are a no no for me) however, my friend introduced me to a recipe that meant I could enjoy brownies and my favourite thing ever- cheesecake.
These are not for the faint hearted (you'll see what I mean by the ingredients!) but by god they are better than sex.

Ingredients

* 205 g shortening
* 220 g brown sugar
* 100 g white sugar
* 5 ml vanilla extract
* 3 eggs
* 250 g all-purpose flour
* 5 g baking soda
* 3 g salt
* 250 g semisweet chocolate chips
* 448 g cream cheese
* 50 g white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 110 g chopped pecans

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together shortening, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup white sugar. Beat in the 3 eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; blend into the sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese and 1/4 cup white sugar. Mix in the 2 remaining eggs.
4. Spread 1/2 of chocolate chip dough in bottom of the prepared pan. Pour cream cheese batter on top of dough. Sprinkle with pecans. Drop pieces of the remaining chocolate chip batter over filling. Don't worry if there are gaps; the batter will spread.
5. Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned on the top. Let the brownies cool in the pan before cutting into bars.

The recipe is just copy and pasted from the website (I think this one is also a part of ihphone aps which is how Dave found it) but I really wouldnt change a thing, its a pretty simple recipe and works damned well, just keep an eye on it, the timing depends on your oven.
Also, I find that most people tend to like them a little undercooked and served warm so they're gooey as heck.

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:03 am

Nutella Stuffed French Toast!!

This is super delicious although probably about a zillion calories, so eat at your own risk.
its also pretty easy to make, if you know how to make french toast.

You will need
* half a jar of Nutella or homemade chocolate hazelnut spread
* 2 eggs
* 2 TSP vanilla
* 1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk (you can also use regular milk)
* a dash of cinnamon, if desired (recommended though.)
* 4 slices of Bread. (preferably the thick texas toast kind if you can find it.)
* butter or margarine
* powdered sugar
* Chocolate sauce
* Whipped Cream.
(last 3 are optional)

Directions:

Get your skillet/griddle going.

Mix your wet ingredients (milk, eggs, vanilla) I usually add the cinnamon to the wet ingredients but you can sprinkle it on later if you like.

take your bread and dip it in the mixture. Don't drench it, you're bread will fall apart, but make sure it is completely coated on both sides.

I try to get at least 2 pieces of bread on the skillet at the same time as it makes this next step easier.

If you have 2 pieces of bread on skillet at same time:
wait for side 1 of bread to finish cooking.
flip.
quickly add Nutella to only ONE of the pieces of bread (on the cooked side.)
wait for second piece of bread to finish cooking.
Place it on top of nutella on other slice of bread.

repeat as necessary.

plate it.
cut in triangles.
sprinkle powdered sugar
drizzle a few small lines of chocolate sauce
and lastly add a nice dollop of whipped cream.

sooooo good.

I made up this recipe, although i'm pretty sure i am not the first one.
it was a new addition to this diner down the street. I ordered it and was in heaven, so i decided to make it at home. And this is what I came up with. it's probably a pretty standard recipe. lol. but, I thought I'd share! :)

p.s. if you're unsure if you like nutella
i'll tell you a secret.
If you like chocolate, you will like nutella. it doesn't taste like strait hazelnut or anything. I was really apprehensive of trying it cause i'm picky about nut flavored items. (idk why.) but i've since turned into a nutella fan and i never don't have it in my house. :D

Enjoy!
"Our Doubts are our traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." -Shakespeare

°«Belle»°

Post by °«Belle»° » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:17 pm

I made Superhealthy Salmon Burgers this eve and they were very yummy and quite easy to do aswell.
I'm not much of a fish lover but thought I'd give these a go as I'm trying to have a better diet. The burger mix seemed a little sloppy and stuck all over my hands like wallpaper paste but once they were in the hot pan they were perfect. I made the side salad and added sesame seeds and I had rice with mushrooms, garlic and sesame oil. Very good! Even Erin had a try. She was stuffing it in her mouth like it was going out of fashion! I definately recommend to anyone that enjoys fish and even to people that aren't so keen.
'Because I'm way more HARDCORE!'
Mummy to Kodi Michelle Autumn and Erin Rose

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Mars Bar Buns

I find it sad that some here don't seem to have had these delicious treats that just clog your arteries full of chocolatey goodness! You might recognise them once you see how to make them, I dunno but here's the method. Super duper easy to make, a bit like Rice Krispie buns so you should be able to make these with your kids if you want.

Anyways, you will need:

Mars Bars (I would normally use 5 big ones or 7 medium ones, not sure how many "funsize" ones)
Rice Krispie or equivalent (I personally recommend Tesco value version of Coco Pops for an extra chocolate kick)
Unsalted butter
Chocolate for topping (I normally use Galaxy or a good quality dark chocolate)

This is all about ratios, for every Mars Bar you use you will need 30g of butter so for 5 large Mars Bars (or 7 medium) you will need about 150g butter. Melt these both together. You're going to end up with a really gross, lumpy mess as it all melts down but it will eventually become nice and smooth. I prefer doing this using the bowl over a pan of hot water method so I can keep a proper eye on things. Mars Bars burn and explode easily in the microwave..

Once you've got a nice, smooth bowl of melted yummy you can add your Rice Krispies or whatever. The same 30g to every Mars Bar generally applies but you can add less if you like. I like mine a bit squidgy so I normally use a bit less than this. Just mix it in until you packed enough in there. You don't want to add so much that it doesn't bind together. Once finished, take this mixture and pack into a casserole dish and put it into the fridge.

Once it's hardened and cooled a bit you can start on the chocolate topping. This is just melting down your choice of chocolate and I use the bowl over water method for this again. I normally use at least two big bars of Galaxy for this, you can use more if you want a bigger chocolate fix. Once melted, just pour over the mix already in the dish and put it back in the fridge.

Once it's all set and cooled, just cut into squares et voila! Done :D These keep really well in an airtight container in the fridge, not that they'll last that long ;)
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Hmm, I thought I'd added my cookie recipe, but I haven't. so, here:

Makes 14-16

*~Ingredients~*
125g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
75g soft light brown sugar
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
150g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
100g dark or milk chocolate, chopped into smallish chunks

*~Method~*
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5 and line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
2. Gently melt the butter in a small saucepan. Put both sugars into a mixing bowl, pour in the melted butter and beat well with a wooden spoon. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl and stir them in, then add the chocolate. You should have a pretty sloppy sort of mixture.
3. Dot heaped dessertspoonfuls of the mixture on to the baking sheets, leaving a good 4cm between them as they really spread out. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are turning pale golden brown.
4. Remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes to firm up. Then carefully lift the baking parchment on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:37 pm

im sorry to dive into this thread with no recipe to contribute...god, i feel like a spammer :s
i figured this was the best place to ask though...

can anyone recommend a few that are tasty, fill you up and above all HEALTHY

im desperately trying to lose my squishy belly, but no amount of exercise is going to help if i dont do the food side of things too

my problem is that im an extremely fussy eater
i hate fish, veg, red meat (unless its in a burger lol) and most other things that could be considered healthy
i literally wont touch veg in ANYTHING, ill pick it out! (though i will eat spinach and broccoli in cheese sauce if its chopped up tiny enough... though the cheese kind of makes the veg redundant!) and i only like fishcakes and fish fingers lol, the smell of fish offends me

ive tried looking online for 'fussy eater' recipes, but i dont think making a face on my plate from carrots and tomatoes is going to help me!

i also have a terrible sweet tooth... so low fat cake/biscuits/brownie etc recipes are very welcome :D

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't eat healthily if you don't eat some vegetables. You can't dislike all veg, there are so many different tastes. If it's a psychological thing (which I totally understand, I have a total mental block with fish. I actually have liked it when I've eaten it unknowingly but I can't bring myself to put it into my mouth!) maybe you need take some steps to remedy that. What's your fruit intake like?

As for sweet things, my dentist slapped a sugar ban on me and I've been eating baby biscuits for sweet snacks. Things like biscotti and there's a range called 'Goodies' that do little animal biscuits that are low in sugar and calories.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:30 pm

hmm... i have been trying to eat veg but... its just horrible :(
carrots, peas, salad... i just cant like it no matter what i mix it with or eat with it, it makes me baulk and feel sick
it probably is psychological, i admit that, no idea what to do about it though!

as for fruit.. i like apples, and strawberries with sugar and cream
im planning to be a good girl and eat more fruit though, its been so long since ive eaten a banana i dont actually know if i like it or not! love the flavour though... banana milkshake :D

with a lot of foods, its actually the texture i dont like rather than the taste, thats the main issue with veg... dont like it crunchy, dont like it soggy lol

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:36 pm

BLACK FOREST GATEAU

Ingredients

For the sponge:

butter, for greasing
9 free-range eggs
255g/9oz caster sugar
200g/7½oz self-raising flour, sifted
40g/1½oz cocoa powder

For the filling and topping:

1 x 340g/12oz (drained weight) jar cherries, drained, juice reserved
good dash of Kirsch
2 tbsp arrowroot
750ml/1¼ pint double cream, whipped

For the chocolate shards:

300g/10½oz dark chocolate
½ tsp peppermint essence
110g/4oz demerara sugar
50g/2oz toasted flaked almonds, to serve

Preparation method:

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line a deep 26cm/10½in cake tin.

For the sponge, crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and whisk well until light and fluffy and a ribbon-like trail forms when the whisk is removed. Gently fold in the sifted flour and the cocoa powder. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, transfer to the oven and bake for about 55 minutes, or until risen and cooked through. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.

For the filling, place the cherries into a bowl with the Kirsch. Place the cherry juice from the jar into a pan and bring to the boil. While the juice is heating, mix the arrowroot with a little water in a small bowl to make a paste. When the cherry juice is boiling, mix the arrowroot paste into it, then strain through a sieve into the bowl with the cherries and leave to cool.

Cut the cooled sponge into three layers using a sharp bread knife. Sandwich the three layers together using the whipped cream (reserve a little for attaching the chocolate shards) and half of the cherries in their syrup.
For the chocolate shards, place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water and heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Stir in the peppermint essence and sugar, then spread the mixture onto a tray lined with cling film and allow to cool. Place into the fridge to set.
When the chocolate is set, break it into large shards and stick around the edge of the cake, using a little whipped cream on the back to hold the shards in place.
To serve, top with the remaining cherries and the almonds.

(I didn't use the almonds as the OH doesn't like them, I got the kirsch from tesco for £6....but had to do the cherries myself as the only ones I could find were glacé cherries, what I did was: fresh cherries, pitted. boil 1pt water & a generous handful of caster sugar, then add cherries & boil for about 5 minutes...done :D, ooh & I onlt cut it in half, so the 750ml of cream was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much!)

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:54 pm

[Phexxie] wrote: with a lot of foods, its actually the texture i dont like rather than the taste, thats the main issue with veg... dont like it crunchy, dont like it soggy lol
There has to be an inbetween between crunchy and soggy! It's all about how you cook them... How are you with soups? I know there are plenty of super healthy vegetable soups that not only transform the flavour but are filling, and that are amazingly low cal + fat. I'm a vegan and therefore my soups are always just vegetables buuut as a carnivore you have more options in getting a little more in there!
Thin broths with say pieces of roast/grilled chicken breast, maybe some rice noodles or just rice or croutons, and if you can bear it some nicely cooked veg can be very satisfying :)!
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”